X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Big Band Jazz

Anyone have some good recommendations for DVDA or SACD (or even plain old redbook for that matter) on some good Big Band? I love the stuff, and am a huge Bob Mintzer fan, but I'd like to expand a bit and find some other ones. It seems hard to find recently recorded Big Band Jazz. The stuff from the 40s is cool but I like hearing newer recordings of the older stuff as they tend to be more "up to date" (sorry if that makes no sense, just can't think of how else to put it). Here's a quick list of his big band recordings if anyone wants to peruse: http://www.bobmintzer.com/cds.php?c=Big%20Band
    -Chuck
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Btw I highly recommend Bob Mintzer's CD "Incredible Journey"
    -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Thanks, added to my wish list! I don't know if I could help you further. The only other big band artists I have are the usual standards, I think--Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Count Basie, and such. And to be honest, none of the recordings I have, I would describe as good quality. Let me know if you find anything else out.

Now, are you also considering modern big band swing groups, like Brian Setzer?
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

Setzer is cool, but not really in the realm of what I'm looking for here. Really the easiest way to describe it is I'm looking for stuff like Glenn Miller & Count Basie but arranged and played by modern groups. I really enjoy playing the stuff myself (I am a trombone player), but great recordings that are recent are hard to come by it seems. Also I'm not really limiting it just to big band sound, but stuff which is played by a big band arrangement... i.e. a handful of trumpets, trombones, saxes, a drummer, and a bass guitar, etc. A lot of jazz bands I've played in will play anything from duke ellington to ballads to disco. The University of North Texas One O'Clock Lab Band is also a perfect example. One of the best around. I need to get a few more of their CDs. Check them out here (should be some mp3 links in there somewhere):
        -Chuck

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Just get this.

link

I have it on vinyl & redbook both.

You will like either one.

And when you order it, make sure you get this too & try to find the HDCD version:

link

:W
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Cool thanks for the suggestion Bill. I actually have that second one you mentioned already!
            -Chuck

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
              And to be honest, none of the recordings I have, I would describe as good quality. Let me know if you find anything else out.
              This is actually my favorite genre of music. I think out of about 60~70 albums, the only CD that I can think off right off the bat that actually has good quality would be Glenn Miller's "The Secret Broadcasts"

I like Artie Shaw. He is one of my favorites, but can't say any of his albums (remastered or not) are of great audio quality. I think if you're really going for audio quality, I would look for some of Benny Goodman's 1950's or 1960's recordings since I think he was one of the last big band artists that rerecorded his music in the late 50's. Regardless, that 3 disc set from Glenn Miller is very good.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Then again, listening to any of these albums on LP just feels... very cool! I only have a few on LP, but it's just a nice experience.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

How about Wynton Marsalis? He travels with a pretty big band and plays jazz. I don't know s**t from shinlola about jazz so, if this isn't considered big band jazz my apologies.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

May not be pure big band, but yes, I do definitely like Wynton Marsalis, especially being a trumpet player myself.

Bill, thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the Gene Harris "Listen Here" is available on SACD as well. I added those to my Amazon wish list.

I also have "In the Digital Mood" by the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
                      • Jul 2000

I turned to Wikipedia to educate myself as to what a big band was and it says that it is a jazz band of 12 to 24 musicians. Seems like that makes the Marsalis band a very traditional big band. I truly am very ignorant about the subject though and only know about him from months of working with him and his brother on a film. I wouldn't buy a album of his but, sure liked listening to him in person and all his family are just the best as people.

Maybe you are narrowing it down to only swing bands?

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

Bob: Wynton Marsalis definitely counts in my book. Definitely not narrowing down to swing bands, or really any genre of music. Just the type of instruments involved really. If you've got 4 bones, 4 trumpets, 4 saxes, + others, and they're playing Lady Gaga, that's what I'm looking for (ok maybe that's a little extreme but you know what I mean!).

Queso: Those sound great, but the actual old recordings are not really what I'm looking for. Sorry it's hard for me to explain exactly what I mean here. I love the old music, but with the newer, more modern arrangements played by modern bands. That's why Bob Mintzer is always my go to guy when I'm trying to explain what I like. I do still listen to the older recordings though, I've got some awesome old J.J. Johnson recordings in my truck right now

Chris: Yes that Gene Harris "Listen Here" SACD is the one I have! It's awesome! Though it's a small group, it's still awesome.

Those UNT One O'Clock ones are awesome as well, I'm going to order a few more of their CDs (old ones got stolen a long time ago :M). If you're feelin me on the type of music I'm talking about, they are right there with the Bob Mintzer stuff as a "definition" of what I'm looking for. The beauty of this stuff is you can hear the same song done by five different groups, and hear five completely different arrangements, playing styles, and improv solos.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Bob
                          • Jul 2000

Count Basie and Duke Ellington are pretty timeless. I guess it must be difficult to find modern equivalents. Outside of jazz, big bands are certainly popular. Most pop music now encompasses the idea of 12-24 instruments.

By the way, even as a over 60 crumudgen I like Lady Gaga and think she has incredible talent. Her music and production isn't for me but, I recognize the talent.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

These lean toward the 'free Jazz' end of the spectrum, but still are grounded in melody enough that I will recomend them.

Jason Linder Big Band

Jason Linder Big Band

For pure sound quality, not much ever recoreded will exceed the productions from Sheffield Labs. I have two original pressings on vinyl of this one, but digital is available, and I am confident enough to say if you get it and do not love it, I will buy it from you & will pay for the shipping.

Harry James
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Awesome thanks Bill. Added those to my wish list as well
                              -Chuck

Comment

• jlspinks
                                • Dec 2011

Big Band Jazz

impala454 and members,

I highly recommend the recordings of the University of North Texas One O'Clock Lab Band. The group has been nominated over its history for six Grammys. And they are up again this year for Lab 2011. To get an idea of how good this group is check out this YouTube link. They are performing an arrangement of Brecker's "Modus Operandy." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kex1Tbd0QXQ

There are many other links on YouTube. Check them out. Also their recordings are available through the UNT Music School.

Hot and incredible talent. This group over the years has toured all over the planet, Russia, England, Australia, England, Ireland etc. You won't believe the soloists. You'll see a wide range of ages in the band. The older are students working on Masters and PhDs in jazz.

Discs I recommend: Lab '75 with Lyle Mays, Lab '91, Lab 95', Lab 2011 and many others. Have fun.

These cats can do it. You'll be shocked and pleased!

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

Definitely agreed JL, which is why I mentioned them twice in the thread already

I picked up lab 2009, 10, and 11. Will have to check out the ones you mentioned as well. Awesome stuff :T
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• jlspinks
                                    • Dec 2011

Big Band Jazz

impala454,

My apologies for covering ground you already had. This is my first visit and I'm not quite sure how the board operates just yet.

I sampled some of the Mintzer you recommended and found a lot to like there. I already had three Yellowjackets recordings and the Mintzer "Latin from Manhattan" in my collection.

Others in my collection (and maybe not new to you) but:

Airmen of Note (Check the Air Force Jazz Band.) They have several downloadable tracks on their site. And they are not bad at all. Sammy Nestico was with them at one time.

Bill Watrous and various bands -- Some of his relatively newer recordings are available through Amazon and other outlets. He is a matchless trombonist.

In a more classical vein I have recordings by Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, James Moody and a few others (garnered from the Ken Burns Jazz collection) that qualify as big band. But I know what you mean about finding quality big band. The SWR Big Band in Germany sounds pretty good but I am not too familiar with them.
                                    Last edited by jlspinks; 21 December 2011, 21:50 Wednesday.

Comment

• impala454
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2007

Oh man no worries at all, just glad to see a fellow UNT lover! That Airmen of Note stuff sounds awesome. Will give them a listen for sure. Thanks!
                                      -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Huh... I need to check out these guys you fellas are recommending.

Hmmm... how do you get a doctorate in jazz?

"Hello. I'm Dr. Groovy."
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

I find it so heartening that there is still such a genuine interest in the big bands. Although I've listented to the more modern struff my heart lies in the past, and the 40s and 50s in particular. One of the posters mentioned he liked Artie Shaw but found the audio quality wanting. I agree, but this due to the difference in recording studios and technics of yesterday and today. The old big band stuff I own is mostly on vinyl and varies from the more pop sound of Glenn Miller to the more jazzy sound of Ellington, and it all still sounds great to this old fart's ears.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Not quite big band, but we went to a live Tango show in Buenos Aires last week, with a live band 5-7 members large with a singer or two on a few songs. Was PHENOMENAL.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2007

George that is the beauty of stuff like UNT's jazz bands (and Bob Mintzer), while sometimes they get a little "modern" they still stick to the roots of big band like Duke Ellington and Glenn Miller. Even when I played at Texas Tech we did the same. What's great is you get good recordings of older stuff.

And glad that we could you show ya that us youngins can still like the stuff too

Most of all I love to play the music. But as you might imagine it's even harder to find a group to play with than it is to find good recordings.
                                              -Chuck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by impala454
                                                Most of all I love to play the music. But as you might imagine it's even harder to find a group to play with than it is to find good recordings.
                                                I was kinda lucky in that a few of the guys I worked with were into music, and they all played different instruments, which was great, so we put a little group together and played at weddings, company dances, New Years, etc. I was also fortunate in that I could sight read music, so my trumpet and I could get pick-up work now and then with some of the bigger bands that were in abundance back in the 50s.
                                                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                                😀
                                                😂
                                                🥰
                                                😘
                                                🤢
                                                😎
                                                😞
                                                😡
                                                👍
                                                👎
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"