X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Saw an Amy Winehouse concert on tv...

:roflmao: What a no-talent , pathetic junkie. She sounds as bad as she looks. How did that skank ever get "famous"? I would rather have a prostate exam by Freddie Kruger than sit through that nightmare again. :gah: I think I could prefer Gwen Stefani-again :gah:
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

To quote George Bellefontaine - "NowTell us how you really feel"

I really haven't had any interest, playing the wait and see if she pans out to be a talent. I think I saw a video or something for a couple of minutes and it didn't do anything for me. Whatever with all the drama, have to be one heck of an artist for me to tolerate all the crud and still like the music and all.

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Welll , perhaps I was a bit harsh. Truly , though-she sucked. Drunk , doing an annoying little two-step the entire time , and her voice is reminiscent of a 50 year old , chain-smoking , lounge lizard. In the right lighting you can see the downy 'pelt' the malnourished grow. The most entertaining thing about her is her biggest hit-she "don't wanna go to rehab , no no no." :rofl:
      She was so spaced out Captain Kirk was a local call.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alaric
        Welll , perhaps I was a bit harsh. Truly , though-she sucked. Drunk , doing an annoying little two-step the entire time , and her voice is reminiscent of a 50 year old , chain-smoking , lounge lizard. In the right lighting you can see the downy 'pelt' the malnourished grow. The most entertaining thing about her is her biggest hit-she "don't wanna go to rehab , no no no." :rofl:
        She was so spaced out Captain Kirk was a local call.
        I have to agree with you on this one.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I give you credit, I couldn't sit through more than about 10 seconds of her she's THAT bad.

I still have yet to find out what everyone sees in her. I can give most people the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't give her one nice comment. Well maybe she's got a nice sized chest. That's probably what people look at. :rofl:
          Last edited by PewterTA; 15 November 2008, 02:24 Saturday.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah I've checked out a couple of her CD's and I usually don't finish them.

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alaric
              :roflmao: What a no-talent , pathetic junkie. She sounds as bad as she looks. How did that skank ever get "famous"?
              Well, put her up against the "competition"... Jessica and Ashlee Simpson, Britney, yadda yadda and she doesn't seem so bad. It's all relative I guess. In a sea of mediocrity, no talent is required to be "famous".

And the record labels blame "piracy" for weak sales. :roll:

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Norah Jones...much rather listen to her then Amy Winehouse lol.

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Have any of you actually listened to her whole Back To Black album? Not sampled, actually listened. Though her voice is nothing special, and yes she is a junkie, her lyrics are far beyond her appearance. Writing is her real talent (and the pop single doesn't really count). Listen to the song Back To Black. Great example.

Dougie, what albums? She's only written 2 albums (one which never made it to the US back in '03). The other albums that she has are not her songs. She just redid them in her voice. I didn't care for them at all since I was really caught on by her voice.
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I watched almost half of her concert on PLDHD. I really tried to like her.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I'm not sure which ones. A couple a friend of mine had and he didn't like them and then I listened to some stuff on youtube. I just couldn't get into it. I find it odd that she is recommended so much.

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Perhaps. I don't usually give an artist much credit for an entire album, but I think she really did perfect that album lyrically.
                        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• btf1980
                          • Aug 2007

I will have to disagree with the consensus here that she is a bad singer. I think her drug issues clearly has effected her persona to those that did not know her before she became a wreck.

I am a big fan of Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings. Amy Winehouse uses The Dap Kings for her background vocals, so off the bat I knew that the girl has taste in music and knows quality.

If you can listen to her debut "Frank" and the follow up "Back To Black" and not hear talent, then I don't know what you just listened to, but there clearly was a disconnect.

Different strokes I suppose, but I saw her at the House of Blues in Chicago last year and she was indeed "high as a kite" but she still put on a good show.

I respect Norah Jones, but I don't even know how someone can put them in the the same sentence. They aren't even the same style of music. I remember Norah playing small clubs here in NYC before she released Come Away With Me, and many of us are disappointed in how she turned out to be frank. What was once an earnest singer that belted tunes with raw, heartfelt emotion turned into the prototype smooth jazz female singer indistinguishable from the rest in that mold. If you want a taste of the old Norah, get her live Austin City Limits album. I have no idea who that person is making waves on the pop charts, that ain't the Norah I liked.
                          A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Regarding Amy Winehouse, I'm with you btf1980. I think that she is a very talented singer songwriter who is ruining her life with drink, drugs, an eating disorder and self destructive behaviour.

I was fascinated watching her on the "I Told You I Was Trouble - Live in London" DVD. Her slurring of words indicated that she was pretty high. If you compare the songs on the DVD to those on her CDs you'll see what I mean about the slurring. However she didn't miss a single cue during that concert, her phrasing was impeccable (a hallmark of her singing), and she ran The Dap Kings competently. Some of her songs are really quite difficult too. I can sing along with most vocalists but I struggle with many of her songs because they are just too complex. I didn't know her work prior to watching the DVD (and didn't want to because I had pre-judged her as just another pop princess) but the more the concert went on the more I appreciated her abilities.

As you will see from the attached document she has won some fairly prestigious awards, which suggests that has a reasonable amount of talent.

Nigel.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by John Holmes
                              I watched almost half of her concert on PLDHD. I really tried to like her.

That's the one I saw. I had never heard her before , so I figured I'd check it out and see what all the fuss is about. It was bad enough that I felt embarassed for her.
                              She does seem to have an audience , though. I guess that's why ice cream comes in different flavors.
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"