X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

A tribute to Richard Wright

Richard Wright, keyboard player and a founding member of Pink Floyd, died yesterday aged 65 after a short struggle with cancer.

In the early days of Pink Floyd, Richard Wright and Syd Barrett were the dominant musical forces in the band. Syd died last year.

Among his achievements Richard co-wrote much of the "Dark Side Of The Moon" album. The album sold more than 40 million copies, making it the third biggest seller of all time.

When I got home from work last night I watched a DVD in tribute to Richard -"David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live from the Royal Albert Hall" (2007). There are lots of shots of Richard on this DVD, and quite a lot of vocals by him too. He looked and sounded in good shape.

When David Gilmour introduced the band Richard received the loudest ovation by far. That was a nice touch.

In the first half of the concert the band performs the full "On An Island" (2006) album. The title song "On An Island" is about memories of friends who have left. That was strangely appropriate.

The last time I watched this DVD I took it off half way through because it wasn't giving me the buzz I wanted. What a difference a death makes. This time I watched the whole concert and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mood is everything when it comes to music.

Nigel.
    Attached Files
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
    Richard Wright, keyboard player and a founding member of Pink Floyd, died yesterday aged 65 after a short struggle with cancer.

Mood is everything when it comes to music.

Nigel.
    Thats a big loss. Nigel, nice tribute to a man who created a musical genre. Actually, Pink Floyd may have been a genre all to themselves. He will be missed and fondly remembered.
    Russ

Comment

• Alloroc
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

I was about 13 when I found an album called Meddle in my big sister's collection. That album had such a profound effect on me and I became a Floyd addict. Echoes and One Of These Days just blew my mind.

Anyhow, he's off to that Great Gig In The Sky.... and it'll be a gudd'un.
      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bob shafer
        • Sep 2008

Is there any chance that they will re-release his own cd's?

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by bob shafer
          Is there any chance that they will re-release his own cd's?
          Hi Bob,

Richard released two solo albums - "Wet Dream" in 1978 and "Broken China" in 1996. "Broken China" is currently available from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m?...ight&x=14&y=13. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to track down a copy of "Wet Dream". I have both albums, but only in mp3 format.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
            I was about 13 when I found an album called Meddle in my big sister's collection. That album had such a profound effect on me and I became a Floyd addict. Echoes and One Of These Days just blew my mind.

Anyhow, he's off to that Great Gig In The Sky.... and it'll be a gudd'un.
            Hi Vincent,

"Meddle" had a profound effect on me too as a young man. I most associate it with lying on a beach in Penang (Malaysia) in a mellow frame of mind, aged 19, when I did the overland trip from Australia to England.

Nigel.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

I like that Nigel, 'mellow frame of mind'! When was your trip?

Anyhow, for those with access to BBC2, you do not want to miss 'Later With Jools' this Friday night (26th). They record the show on Tuesdays and as such they broadcast some of it live. Richard was supposed to play this week with David Gilmour to support the new Live In Gdansk album.

Instead, David was there and as a tribute played Remember A Day in his memory.

You'll catch it all again on Friday along with a couple of other songs from David.
              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
                I like that Nigel, 'mellow frame of mind'! When was your trip?

Anyhow, for those with access to BBC2, you do not want to miss 'Later With Jools' this Friday night (26th). They record the show on Tuesdays and as such they broadcast some of it live. Richard was supposed to play this week with David Gilmour to support the new Live In Gdansk album.

Instead, David was there and as a tribute played Remember A Day in his memory.

You'll catch it all again on Friday along with a couple of other songs from David.
                I left Australia in October 1973 and got to England in July 1974 - nine months on the road.

Thanks for the tip about the Jools Holland show. I'll keep an eye out for it. I love that show.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"