• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Summer festivals

Hi all,

My first new post in the music forum for a while!

Anyhow, seeing as there are a number of new posts about gigs, concerts and festivals I thought I show you the festival I'm looking forward to most this year.

It's mostly a country, blues and folk kind of thing but it does attract a lot of big names.

I'm most looking forward to seeing Richard Thompson, The Blind Boys..., Aimee Mann, The Waterboys and Steve Earle to name a few. It should be a great festival, particularly if the sun shines.

V.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

I just got back from the Wanee festival in Live Oak, Fl. I had never been to the Spirit of the Suwannee park before and I have to report that it is a fantastic place to hear live music.

The secondary stage is in a large natural amphitheater, dense with oak and pine trees. Because of the trees, most people were hanging hammocks and swinging in the breeze while watching the likes of Derek Trucks, the Radiators, and the Allman Brothers.

If you ever get a chance to visit this place, don't hesitate. They allow for camping and rent cabins as well.

I also got a chance to visit Troy Springs, which is a first magnitude fresh water spring. Florida has the largest concentration of fresh water springs anywhere in the world and if you enjoy diving or free diving, you can hit two or three very impressive sites a day.

As a native Floridian, I say come and see the beaches, but don't forget about Northern Florida.
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

That festival sounds to have been a great event!
      Glad you enjoyed it!

My daughter's family is in St Pete, so I have seen more than enough of the beaches. I prefer the deep sea fishing, and always take my stunt kite when we go to visit. One other spot I always hit there is the Salvador Dali Museum. They have so much of his art, it's like a new museum every time we go.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Sort of OT-does anyone know if the Miami-Hollywood Sportatorium is still up and running? I saw a lot of good shows there but heard a lot of whining from the "Ijustmovedhereyouhavetobequiet" crowd. That was was part of what killed the race track next to it.
        Last edited by Alaric; 17 April 2007, 21:02 Tuesday. Reason: grammar
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

I recently attended the Byron Bay Music Festival in northern New South Wales, Australia.

I had a wonderful time and enjoyed every act. My favourites were:

Taj Mahal Trio
          Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
          Joss Stone's backing band (who used to be the backing band for James Brown)
          Gomez
          Eugene 'Hideaway' Bridges
          Larry Carlton Blues Project with Robben Ford

I couldn't believe how well organised the whole event was. The festival has four separate marquees with acts running over five consecutive days from midday to midnight. Each act was approximately one hour, with a 20 minute break in between. The sound system was FANTASTIC. The crowd was so appreciative and enthusiastic. It's no wonder that musicians love playing there. There was no waiting for food, drink or to take a slash. Bus transport between the town and the venue (10 minutes) was frequent and cheap. The town was great fun. My wife loved the whole thing (whew!).

I reckon I'll go again next year.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"