X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

Ways and Means

Pardon the title, watch too much West Wing episodes today.

Ok so here is the question:

How do you hear about new music? Other than this place I mean... as that goes without saying.

Since among my friends, I'm the guy who knows... I have no one to tell me about anything anymore.

I rely on a service called Rhapsody. It's 9.95 a month, and I know I could do it for free... But I like knowing I'm not out of bounds in any way, and besides, it has almost everything I look up, gives me names of other bands that are related, often has reviews that are actually helpful, and when I find something I like, I can order it.

I have my laptop running through my stereo, so it's a great way to give things a test drive.

Anyone else use something like this?

I also get a lot from Downbeat... though the magazine has gone downhill as it's priggish views skyrocket.
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Radio primarily. Of the FM and internet varieties, that is. Some recommendations from friends and acquaintances. Some new things from the occasional Austin City Limits episode.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Lately I've been using the dedicated music channels on cable to find new interesting music. The nice part about doing it this way...it's already going through my stereo, and it list all the info for the artist and album. Sometimes it will even list artist you may like in association with the one you're listening to.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Eric_C
        • Nov 2006

I used to be bad...I'd pick an artist I like, goto Amazon and look them up. I'd check out the "also bought this" list and...gasp...download a song or two...

Decide if I liked it or not and then bought the CD to match.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Our local radio station; (jazz) mostly.
          However, I have been buying a lot of used CD’s from a guy at an indoor flea market lately, and he has turned me onto a lot of music I would have otherwise never been aware of. Hey, at $3 each, experimentation becomes affordable!

Sorry to take this off topic, but he turned me onto Citizen Cope for one example. And I hope that you, more than anyone else with your seemingly endless knowledge of all genre of music, may have heard of this guy; Clarence Greenwood? My wife and I have become infatuated with him, and we saw him live a couple months ago when we found out he was in town. It was a terrific show in a small ( less than 800) club with his band, though he has done a lot of solo gigs prior to his latest release that he was on tour to promo.
          Last edited by wkhanna; 06 February 2007, 00:36 Tuesday.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
            Our local radio station; (jazz) mostly.
            However, I have been buying a lot of used CD’s from a guy at an indoor flea market lately, and he has turned me onto a lot of music I would have otherwise never been aware of. Hey, at $3 each, experimentation becomes affordable!

Sorry to take this off topic, but he turned me onto Citizen Cope for one example. And I hope that you, more than anyone else with your seemingly endless knowledge of all genre of music, may have heard of this guy; Clarence Greenwood? My wife and I have become infatuated with him, and we saw him live a couple months ago when we found out he was in town. It was a terrific show in a small ( less than 800) club with his band, though he has done a lot of solo gigs prior to his latest release that he was on tour to promo.

Citizen Cope is great. Kind of like G. Love & Special Sauce (But maybe better now, though years ago the revere was true... Check out the self titled album and probably any odd numbered track)

I wish I had a 3 dollar cd vendor.

Such is life. Maybe I'll become the 3 dollar vendor. But I won't sell cd's. :T
            Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"