Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

put me down for a copy. :T
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Nice. A hybrid SACD would be even nicer.

I'll be picking it up, SACD or not.

Comment

• cuda65
          • Feb 2005

I look forward to that one.
          Doug

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Do we know if this one's going to be a bit more jazz and less country than the last one....?
            Jason

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

well, she doesn't look country in that dress, lol.

Oh, FYI, how about some Nora Blues?

Pick this up, Track 1 is good. I positively LOVE track 2. Then it's a roller coaster ride from there, that never dips low. Heavy bass response, sweet saultry Nora voice.

The Peter Malick Group featuring Nora Jones "New York City". The bass response will blow you away on this CD. I can't decide as yet how great an overall recording it is, but the quality of the music more than makes up for any recording deficiencies!

Well, apparently, there's more! Another CD with the Peter Malick Group is called Chance and Circumstance, a google writeup says Nora's best work isn't on Come away with me, it's these 2...

Both of these illusive CDs are listed on this page. I have one, and will have the other soon. :-)

Now it seems there may be a 3rd album, no info on this, except it's Peter Malick Group with Nora. ( The Chill Albumpeter )

From Elusive Disc:
              Elusive Disc, Inc., Features Only The Best In Audiophile Hardware, Accessories and Music. We Offer a Wide Variety Of Audiophile Turntables, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Record Cleaners, SACD Players, Speakers, Headphones, Pre-Amps, LP Cleaning Fluids, Cables, Vibration Control, Record Brushes & Sleeves, Record Clamps, Audiophile Vinyl LPs, SACDs, DVD-As, Dual Discs, Gold CDs, Gold CDRs, and More.

This full-length album from The Peter Malick Group features six outstanding Norah Jones performances pre-dating her multi-platinum smash debut LP "Come Away With Me."

In July 2000, guitarist/singer/songwriter, Peter Malick walked into a club on New York's Lower East Side and heard a then-21-year-old female sensation who immediately brought to mind a modern day Billie Holiday. Over the next few months, Malick and Jones became fast friends, joining him for a mini-tour of the New England Blues clubs that culminated in two recording sessions. The August-September 2000 sessions resulted in a 7-track EP entitled "New York City" and are included in this release.

Peter Malick has described his music, as "the intersection where B.B. King meets Lou Reed." His resume spans such diverse scenes as backing blues greats Muddy Waters, Freddy King, John Lee Hooker and Big Mama Thornton to spending two years as conductor and guitarist for the Broadway musical "Hair" to living in the home of his mentor, blues pianist Otis Spann. Malick produced and played on Spann's final concert "Last Call" that went on to win the W.C. Hardy award for Best Historical Album in 2000. His debut recording "Wrong Side Of My Life" was released in 1998.

In February of this year, Norah Jones swept the major Grammy Awards-winning Album, Record and Song of the year as well as Best New Artist. Jones went five-for-five, also winning Best Pop Vocal Album and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

With comparisons to a young Stevie Nicks, Jess Klein's debut album prompted "USA Today" to write "Klein exhibits the relaxed confidence and rootsy soulfulness of such seasoned mentors as Bonnie Raitt and Lucinda Williams...she has the power to outlast shooting stars."

Originally from Heidelberg, Germany, emerging talent Antje Duvekot has been capturing audiences across the East coast with her charismatic stage performances, a voice that could melt the toughest of hearts. Antje has previously been described as a cross between Tracy Chapman, Ani di Franco and Shawn Colvin.

On Mercy Malick (daughter of Peter Malick), "Music Connection Magazine" said, "Mercy belts out her brand of R&B with vocals that sound as if they come straight from the heavens. Full and rich, her voice is sultry and steamy."

Singer/songwriter Kirsten Proffit's talent has enabled her to attract top-notch musicians for her solo work including Michael Lockwood (Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple) and Warren Hart (Star 69) on guitar, Bruce Witkin (Adam Ant, Vanessa Paradis) on bass, and Johnny Haro (Econoline Crush) on drums.

Musicians: Vocalists: Antje Duvekot, Mercy Malick, Kristen Proffit, Norah Jones, Jess Klein.

Selections: 1. Opium -- Antje Duvekot
              2. Lighten Me -- Mercy Malick
              3. Chance & Circumstance -- Kristen Proffit
              4. Strange Transmissions -- Norah Jones
              5. Immigrant -- Jess Klein
              6. Into The City -- Antje Duvekot
              7. Deceptively Yours -- Norah Jones
              8. All Your Love -- Norah Jones
              9. Midsize City Girl -- Jess Klein
              10. Things You Don't Have To Do -- Norah Jones
              11. What Would I Do Without You -- Mercy Malick
              12. Heart Of Mine -- Norah Jones
              13. Whatever -- Kristen Proffit
              14. New York City -- Norah Jones

Doug

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

here is a page at Elusive disc with 3 CDs, the New York I found, a remixed NY, which I just ordered along with Chance and Circumstance. Now I have to find the other one.

Elusive Disc, Inc., Features Only The Best In Audiophile Hardware, Accessories and Music. We Offer a Wide Variety Of Audiophile Turntables, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Record Cleaners, SACD Players, Speakers, Headphones, Pre-Amps, LP Cleaning Fluids, Cables, Vibration Control, Record Brushes & Sleeves, Record Clamps, Audiophile Vinyl LPs, SACDs, DVD-As, Dual Discs, Gold CDs, Gold CDRs, and More.
                Doug

Comment

• slayer
                  • Dec 2005

The video sounds great. I love that voice.
                  Parasound Halo C2
                  Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
                  Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
                  Oppo BDP103
                  Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
                  Xbox One
                  Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
                  Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
                  BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
                  Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
                  Energy Veritas 2.0i center
                  CAT Tiburon series side surround
                  Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
                  Velodyne SMS-1
                  Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• Vinny
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                    here is a page at Elusive disc with 3 CDs, the New York I found, a remixed NY, which I just ordered along with Chance and Circumstance. Now I have to find the other one.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=821
                    There's one remix and a Chill Album(Total 3 just for the New York City, great marketing)
                    The remix was like exactly the same....... I wasn't buying the idea for Peter Malick's trying to sell the same thing without much change.

Yet the Chill Album sounds more different to me, put it in the cart a while ago and waiting for others to fill $25 for free shipping.
                    Pioneer KRP-500M
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Parasound 5125
                    Oppo BDP-83
                    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Well, the remix CD was not my thing at all, I wish I had not bought it. Every song starts out like some hyperactive computer generated 80s thing or something, weird. Except the last song, and it is more normal. But I don't recommend the New York remix CD.

2 others are good though, with 2 more en route I believe. I'll take a shot at them anyway. I mean had I not taken a shot at them, I'd never have found NY, so you sometimes have take an ugly duckling to find the Swan. lol.

EDIT: I may have made a mistake on this CD, I could have had equipment problems at the time I evaluated it, but I will re-eval over break.
                      Doug

Comment

• Foxman
                        • Jan 2003

BUMP

Just a reminder, this new CD came out today. I am only on the first song and am at work, so I wont be able to elaborate, but so far so good.
                        IMO

My Movies
                        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Aha! Interested in the results.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

BUMP

Just a reminder, this new CD came out today.
                            That's odd -- I could have sworn that Norah's new album had a different name than "BUMP". :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• fordster
                              • Feb 2005

I got this CD on Monday but didn't get chance to listen until yesterday. I had it playing in the car on the way to work and also had a listen on my main system last night but wasn't actually sat and critically listening for most of the time. My first impressions are that it is probably her best CD yet (I've not listened to the ones Doug has recommended so I'm only comparing to Come Away With Me and Feels Like Home). The quality of the recording seems to be excellent which is good news. My only reservation (and this also applies to her other albums) is that I sometimes wish she would "let go" a little bit. By this I mean that she has a wonderfully controlled voice but sometimes I feel the songs would be better for a little more emotion, deeper or more "gravelly" voice or being a little edgier. That's just my preferences though and I'd highly recommend this album. She also did a concert for the BBC which was shown on TV over here in the UK at the weekend. I watched some of that last night and it was excellent. They offer a listen again section on their website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub/norahjones.shtml) so those of you outside the UK should be able to check it out. She did tracks from all 3 albums. Interesting to see her play the guitar on a couple of these too!
                              Dave

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Really? Best yet? Okay, the gauntlet has been thrown down! Her first one was pretty good. Now I gotta take a listen!
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                  • Feb 2003

downloaded now. Napster is great at work just need to explain why I'm going to need another hard drive installed in my desktop as it is filling with music rather quickly.

Comment

• Foxman
                                    • Jan 2003

Well I have not cued this up on my main system either nor have I done the needed critical listening, but I am very happy with this cd. I have played it all the way through a couple of times and re-listened to a couple of songs many times. Some of the cd has a familier feel to it but is still very fresh. You could tell that they tried hard to provide some changeups, so the whole cd wouldnt drag and sound the same.

One of my favorite Norah toons on this disk and probably in my top 3 or 4 songs by her is a little song called Sinking Soon. This is a song that has a 30's or 40's feel to it and is IMO a joy to listen too. Very unique and surprising, and I have loved it every time I have listened to it so far. Norah had a song that I reacted to similarly on her Feels Like Home cd called Creepin in. I remember the first time I listened to that song I was a bit smitten and raised up out of my seat when I thought I heard Dolly Parten in it and sure enough it was her. I really like how Norah creates a song like this that really grabs my attention.

Her first CD was just such a smash success and there were so many songs that were instant classics with a certain familiarity that it's very hard to come back again and again without people being critical, but for my money she has produced 3 cd's now that are a great compliment to one another and she might be my favorite female artist right now.

I was skeptical of this cd with the lack of hype and seemingly lack of interest around the web, but I am thrilled with it even if some have grown weary of her.

If you are a fan of Norah, I think you will find this disk to be everything you would expect. 4.5 out of 5 stars. (I just don't give 5 stars often) :T
                                    IMO

My Movies
                                    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

I hope to pick it up this weekend. I really love her voice.
                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Alright, now you guys are REALLY throwing down the gauntlet. Fine. I'll go check it out.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                          • Sep 2001

Everyone seems to like this album. Chris, U2 ? :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Yes, I really like U2. But what does that have to do with Norah?
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• fordster
                                              • Feb 2005

Well said Foxman. I instantly loved Sinking Soon too. I also really like My Little Room, another quirky song.
                                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"