How Can I Become a Better Music Collector?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

How Can I Become a Better Music Collector?

Ok, this may sound goofy, but here goes.....

I have about 350 CD's in my collection that I have built over the years. It is a very Diverse collection with Artist ranging from Abba to Zepplin, with everything inbetween, form Jazz, classical and country.

I find that lately I only really listen to about 10-15 CD out of the collection, and I'm really urning for new material, however when ever I walk into a music store, I feel so overwhelmed that I seldom walk out with anything. ops:

I find I see lots of interesting titles, yet I don't want to take a chance on them incase they turn out to be turkeys... As I know I have a few in my collection that I took chances on.

Most times I find the safe play to look at Artist that I know I will like such a Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Spyro Gyra, Dire Straits...etc. Problem is I know these songs and artist so well, that they become boring. I'm looking for new music, with new vibes and grooves... The biggest problem is I don't have exposure to these new possible vibes and grooves I'm looking for. Our local radio stations play mostly top 40, which there are some songs, but for the most part, not something that would hold my attention.

So What can a person do to to broaden his knowledge of music artists and help to find exciting new sounds, thus building an updated collection?

I like a lot of music types, so it may be tough to help me, however This is what I have been listening to lately.

-Seal IV
    -Alan Parsons A Valid Path (Just Picked it up)
    -Alan Parsons On Air
    -Steely Dan Two Against Nature
    -Steely Dan Everything Must go
    -Roxy Music Avalon
    -Foreplay
    -Smooth Jazz Compilations
    -Enigma

I tend to like Funky Guitar beats, Cymbals, with off time drum beats. I'm a big fan of Smooth Jazz, and Hip Rock music.
    Bing
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Bing, are there any audio only channels available on your cable service?

I get exposure to lots of new stuff that our local radio stations aren't playing on the satellite (DTH) equivalent.

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Ben, yess, actually I have 40+ music channels on my Cable box provider... I just don't seem to find the time to tune in.

I'll do that right now as I surf :T
      Bing

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Yup, for all our high technology, the best way to sample new music is by good old-fashioned radio... if you have a college station within reach, that's your best bet for diversity... even if you don't, many of them stream online... here's our superb station here in San Francisco: http://kusf.org/index.shtml

I tend to like Funky Guitar beats, Cymbals, with off time drum beats. I'm a big fan of Smooth Jazz, and Hip Rock music.
        Try these guys for all of the above (except the smooth jazz)... King Crimson... they've been around for decades in various forms... again, very intense, but extremely artful... suggested titles:

'69 --- In the Court of the Crimson King
        '70s -- Larks' Tongues in Aspic - or - Red
        '80s -- Discipline - or - Absent Lovers
        '90s -- Thrak - or - The ProjeKcts
        '00s -- The Power to Believe

I recommend 'Power'... their latest and arguably best... enjoy.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Bing, one thing I do is listen to internet audio via WM9 at work. I'll rotate channels on a daily basis and make note of interesting stuff. Then I'll go to stores where I can listen to the CD before purchasing and make sure it's NOT a turkey.

That's the safest way, however I do fall into the "instant gratification" trap at times. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by gd
            Try these guys for all of the above (except the smooth jazz)... King Crimson... they've been around for decades in various forms... again, very intense, but extremely artful... suggested titles:

'69 --- In the Court of the Crimson King
            '70s -- Larks' Tongues in Aspic - or - Red
            '80s -- Discipline - or - Absent Lovers
            '90s -- Thrak - or - The ProjeKcts
            '00s -- The Power to Believe

I recommend 'Power'... their latest and arguably best... enjoy.
            "I'm Wheels, yah moving wheels... I'm a 1932 Studibaker coupe..."

It's been awhile since I listened to King Crimson :T

GD, Thanks for the link to to the station, I'll give it a listen. I was surfing the WM stations there for a while, however some of the stations don't list the artist as they are playing which really chews.

David, I fall into the same Instant gratification trap too.

I think whats really turning me off most albums is sound quality. I have a very diverse taste in music and can lsiten to a lot of various music. However if it lacks dynamic appeal in my system, I can't listen to it for long, no matter how much I like the song.

I played Some older Aerosmith today and could not finish it because it sounded so flat and life less on my system. Maybe my ears have changed... for I use to be able to play them loud and long, not anymore...

I play some Queen today.. Yuck-0-Ramma, sound quality was terrible..

Thats another big problem, most of my CD's sound terrible that I just don't listen to then anymore.

I decided to play some Bach Cello Suite no. 1, 3 & 6 Much more pleasing to my ears today.
            Bing

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Sounds like you're ready to be a "better music" collector. :&gt

Originally posted by Bing Fung
              I decided to play some Bach Cello Suite no. 1, 3 & 6 Much more pleasing to my ears today.
              While I really do enjoy a lot of pop music, I also feel that my most satisfying musical listening is often from the classical part of my collection. Although classical music has an alarmingly small market share0 these days, the production values on most classical recordings are typically very high. A bad classical recording won't sell millions of copies just because the artists are "hot", so they have to pay attention to the basics, to the benefit of those of us who enjoy classical music.

That doesn't mean that every classical disc is a "must buy", because tastes vary, and, over time, many of the more popular selections get recorded by multiple artists. However, one of the interesting things about classical music is comparing how one artist's interpretation of a piece differs from another, which is why I have several versions of some of my favorite classical works. (Kind of like getting several covers of a fave pop tune, except that for most classical works, they are ALL covers.) :>)

Enjoy!

Burke

PS -- if you don't mind my asking, who performed the Bach Cello Suites that you listened to today?

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Burke, the CD is
                JS Bach
                Cello-Suiten
                NOS. 1. 3 . 6
                Perfomed by Pierre Fournier (Violoncello)
                Deutsche Grammophon Label 1961

Very nice sound.. I remember buying this and looking for a Telarc version. I couldn't find one however, and settled on this. It was only $8.00

I agree, thats why I proabably enjoy Jass and Calsical as much as I do. Most recordings sound excellent, which can not be said of Pop or top 40.

Surprizingly I played The Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongue" today. First time in a long time, that is one clean and clear recording. I cranked it right up and it didn't flinch one bit. :twisted:
                Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Bing Jesse Cook has a new CD out...its got a lot more vocals on it than his previous efforts though. I haven't given it enough air time yet to know if I like it or not but its an option as I believe you made mention of having at least one of his CD's before.

Also see my post on Bond

As for Queen which CD was it? There's some of the "best of's" that are better then others...I've got most of them too :0

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

....funny and interesting thread actually....I am sometimes exactly in that position...

I have what maybe 250 cds....and I listen to maybe 20...MAYBE!

What has helped me is listening to newly discovered cds at buddies....

They play them on their systems....you like it....you buy it!

It has been great....it's allowed me to discover Nina Simone....KAren Young.....John Labelle......Vivaldi.....so on and so on....!

Just thought I'd share....
                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• dave
                      • Aug 2003

Bing,
                      The best way that I've found to build a strong library is to shop at stores that offer listening stations to thier customers. That way you can sample
                      the music and sometimes find some hidden treasures. Personally I've been collecting for many many years and have a collection that numbers into
                      the thousands. I enjoy most of the major artists and then again
                      the really obscure stuff for me has held my interests and is always keeping me looking for the next thing to add to the collection. Try the Music offerings
                      on cable and satellite theres a huge variety of styles to choose from! Watch out though, you might turn into a musaholic like me! most importantly,
                      HAVE FUN!!! :T
                      Dave...

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

Hey Andrew, the Queen album is the Double Set "The Very Best of Queen". I think when I play my old albums more as back gorund (far field) music, I enjoy them much more than if I'm sitting in front (near field) for more critical listening.

A new J Cook with more vocals? Sounds good, any special guests that you know of?

Bam, the funny thing is I have lots of albums I know sound good, but I just don't care to play them. I think I'm looking for new artists in the Rock, progressive Rock areas. I would really like to find more music in a gendre I tend to like for the beats, rather than just for sound quality. However it seems I need a balance of both.

Dave, I think you are right, most shops here have the listening stations, however I never use them... (dunno why, communal head phones :E :wink: ) Seriously I should do it more.

While I was at A&B sound looking for CD's, I was thinking its probably due in part to the fact that I don't seem to give record shopping the time and research it deserves. I need to spend more time just flipping through albums, spend more time reading recommendations here on this forum and exploring those possibilites, reading on the net, and just listening to all the digital stations available via cable and the internet. Seems discovering new music is a lost pleasure for me these days due to lack of time and commitment.

I remember back in my youth, before VCR's before CD's I would spend hours in a store looking for Vinyl LPs.... The good ole days..

Maybe I'm just a bit rusty?
                        Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Bing I'm not sure about guests but it sounds a lot more like a Gypsy Kings CD when what we've had previously...though there's a lot of familar rifts in it to so you know you're listening to Jesse struming along. I gave it a good spin the other day on my head phones at work and its actually pretty decent.

Comment

• Glen B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Bent
                            Bing, are there any audio only channels available on your cable service?

I get exposure to lots of new stuff that our local radio stations aren't playing on the satellite (DTH) equivalent.
                            Same with me. I have discovered a lot of new music from my cable provider's music only channels.

Comment

• Glen B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                              Bing, one thing I do is listen to internet audio via WM9 at work. I'll rotate channels on a daily basis and make note of interesting stuff. Then I'll go to stores where I can listen to the CD before purchasing and make sure it's NOT a turkey.

That's the safest way, however I do fall into the "instant gratification" trap at times. :B
                              Often, Tower Records online and CD Universe online will have sample clips of CD tracks in Windows Media and Real Audio format. I purchase most of my CDs from either of those two sources and usually check out the tracks that way before buying.

Comment

• Bam!
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bing Fung
                                Bam, the funny thing is I have lots of albums I know sound good, but I just don't care to play them. I think I'm looking for new artists in the Rock, progressive Rock areas. I would really like to find more music in a gendre I tend to like for the beats, rather than just for sound quality. However it seems I need a balance of both.

Yeah...lately I have found some electro music quite fascinating......even albums like Verve2 remixed....superbe!

It is a quest to find those albums like Dire Straits that make you go :E
                                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2000

It would seem collecting can be a state of mind or mood as well. Some times I can find lots to play in my collection, sometimes I can't. That goes for DVD's as well.

The other day as I was killing time while my daughter was at violin lessons, I went to the mall and cruised a HMV store. I found this disk that looked interesting on the cover

Image hosted by Amazon

I found it in the Jazz section. So I bought it for $12 While it's pretty dancy lougne, and is not really my style, I'm sure my 24 year old would like it.

As I was perusing, I was wondering... Do you guys generally go to the music store with a misson to get certain CD's, or do you just go and wander to see what you will find? I tend to fall in the latter group, and as such have a harder time. As I'm perusing, I find lots of CD's i would like to eventually own (mainly because I have heard or know them well), however I would like to find those diamonds in the rough.

I seen a Larry Carlton CD I was almost ready to buy, but at $29 before taxes, I just couldn't do it on a CD I have never heard before, even though I know I like Larry Carlton.

I could buy many albums just for the cover art. There are many times I wish the artist would list some objectives or ideas behind the albums.. Just for those like me that don't what they are all about. I even sometimes wishe the artest would state the intent or thoughts behind the albums in the liner notes... I know some artist do, however it seems it more abnormal than it is normal.
                                  Bing

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2001

Did you want suggestions? I thought I'd mention a few:

Coldplay: A Rush of Blood to the Head - Rock
                                    U2: Actung Baby or their older stuff. The new album is awesome.
                                    Guru: Jazzmatazz. This is a mix of Hip Hop and Jazz. Fusion Jazz as they call it. This will depend on your tolerance of some rap.. It's quite good.
                                    Radiohead: Pablo Honey or Ok Computer - College Rock
                                    Digable Planets: Reachin' -Fusion. Try to listen to the track "Rebirth of Slick" Quite stellar.
                                    Peter Gabriel: Any album of his. He has some SACD's as well.

Comment

• Bob
                                      • Jul 2000

Two suggestions. First, quit listening to smooth jazz, it will rot your brain. If you really need a infusion of it every now and then, just go find a elevator in any metro area and ride up and down listening to the music in it.
                                      Second, try listening to some of the internet radio stations while you are surfing. Pick ones that specialize in music you don't usually listen to and see if maybe you are missing something.
                                      I noticed you didn't list any folk or country music. Try Folkally.com, or there is a station in Maine that I find plays some interesting music, WERU.org.
                                      I know some people make fun of country music but, like Ray Charles said, sometimes you like a story.
                                      Here is a list of some country that I think is more interesting than any sterile Dianna Krall music:
                                      Willie Nelson "Stardust"
                                      Greg Brown "Slant Mind Six"
                                      Tom Russell "Borderland"
                                      When you next get some classical music maybe try something more upbeat like España or Swan Lake (good for those that like bass).

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2000

Bob, while I invite your suggestions, please don't put down my likes in music. I find your remarks somewhat insulting and disrespectful of what I like... ops:

We like what we like, thats what makes us induviduals. :roll:

Thanks for your suggestions that were constructive Bob :T

Thanks Shane :T

While suggestions are always welcome, I was wanting more to know how the research and thought process worked for album collecting. Seems Mine is more based on:

"Hey I like that song", go out, buy the CD

"Hey a new album by _______" , go out, buy CD
                                        Bing

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2001

Album Collecting is a crap shoot. Unless you dabble a little in downloading a song or 2 just to try out a particular album, It is a large crap shoot.

Comment

• Bob
                                            • Jul 2000

Bob, while I invite your suggestions, please don't put down my likes in music. I find your remarks somewhat insulting and disrespectful of what I like...
                                            How can you possibly feel disrespect from somebody who admits to liking country music? I actually bought a Buck Owens album yesterday, my guess is that if you took a vote there would be 10 people who would rather listen to elevator music to every one that admits to liking Hee Haw music. Feel free to make fun of my choices all you want. I like what I like and so should you.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2000

Bob, fair enough.. :W know that I wouldn't dream of making fun of your music in anyway :nonod: Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to that. All my life I have taken abuse from my Hard Rocking friends that I like sissy elevator music, so I grow weary of it... even in jest :evil: To be ridiculed of it on an internet forum, reminded me too much of that ops: Not everybody can roll with the punches. That said, I suppose what you stated is funny and true, it would have been funnier to me, if it wasn't directed at something I really like :rant:

I tried surfing while listening to web radio via Windows Media Player today. I have to say, Windows Media Player 10 sure has made it hard to find the radio stations consistantly. Seems they want you to subcribe to MSN Radio instead.

I picked up a CD today at A&B while I was out.

Image hosted by Amazon[

I have always liked Big Wreak, and this album is more of the same. Good heavy guitar strumming.

The Title track "Come Again" sounds pretty good.
                                              Bing

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"