Is "Stairway To Heaven" The best song ever made?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Is "Stairway To Heaven" The best song ever made?

I mean lyrics, music, vocals you know, the whole package. Starts out slow and mellow then steps up a notch and finally gets wild, but not overdone. I mention this because I was watching the dvd last night. Awesome. I know it's just my opinon though. Any other songs up there with it?
  • Frustrated
    • Jan 2005

I definitely agree with you Delay. I 'm a huge Zep fan, though that song tends to be overplayed. I don't think there is a song out there that's comparable. It's been a classic for so long, even the solo is legendary. A close second for me would be Suite Madame Blue by Styx

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It's at the top of the list, but "the best song ever made"? Whew, that's a tough one. I grew up with Zeppelin and this song is full of memories for me, although the period when the radio stations played it to death hurt it a bit. Hmmm, I'll have to think some more on this one.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

I love the Zeppelin, have all their albums. But, best song ever? No way, there is no such thing. We all have different tastes, and we all have different life experiences that influence what we like best. For some it is chocolate some it is vanilla.
        If I could only take two peices of music with me it would be:
        Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited
        Satchmo's St. James Infirmary

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I'm also a Zeppelin fan and love the song in question, but " best ever " ? Not for me, anyway. We all have out favorites but out of everything I own I would have a hard time coming up with a " best" song . Bob's Satchmo's version of St. James Infirmary would certainly be one on my favorite list, but so would many many others in vocals from Sinatra to Ray Charles to many of the big band standards, to the classics, and even a little country thrown in for good measure. Naw, I just couldn't pick a best ever.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Bridge Over Troubled Waters.

or maybe 409.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

409, the Beach Boys song? "She's real fine, my 409..." Maybe if you're a muscle car nut...

Bridge Over Troubled Water is a good contender though.

It occurred to me that I don't own a single Zeppelin track. ops: I'll have to take care of that one of these days.

Comment

• brendon
                • Aug 2004

I am also a Zep fan but must admit I cringe every time this song comes on now as its been flogged to death on radio etc.
                I am currently wearing out my copy of the Led Zepplin Double live DVD with the tracks The Ocean and Nobody's Fault but Mine favorites.For those who have not seen it its got 5 hrs of previously unreleased footage and covers from 1970 (live at Albert Hall) to 1979 (Knebworth concert).Picture quality is variable (usual grainy low light film through to early video) but sound quality is good.
                Worth watching just for Jimmys and Roberts rock god antics and of course Bonzo's Drumming and also points out just how much of a multi instrumentalist John Paul Jones was.
                Brendon

Comment

• hired goon
                  • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by DelRay
                  Any other songs up there with it?
                  "Funky Town", by Lipps Inc. Just ask Homer Simpson

"Stairway To Heaven" isn't my favourite Led Zeppelin song -- that honour goes to either "Since I've Been Loving You", or "In My Time Of Dying".

But my vote for "best song ever made" would be probably be "Caroline, No" by Brian Wilson. Or maybe "Imagine" by John Lennon. Then again, maybe "Bohemian Rhapsody". Each time I hear any of these, I think "damn I wish I wrote that" (and I don't even write music).

--Geoff

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Yeah, I thought about Imagine, a great song. Also, thought about Yesterday, by the Beatles.
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

All My Yesterdays by Ambrosia comes to mind.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• DelRay
                        • Jun 2004

Geoff, I'm like you. Even though "Stairway" is a great song. "Over the hills and far away" is my personal favorite Zep. song. I just mentioned Stairway to heaven because of it's huge popularity.

Comment

• hired goon
                          • Aug 2004

G'day,

... and don't get me started on Crowded House: "Fall At Your Feet", "Weather With You", "Four Seasons In One Day", "Better Be Home Soon", "Don't Dream It's Over", are all perfect pop songs. Just perfect. Neil Finn should be up there with Lennon/McCartney in the songwriter hall of fame, IMHO.

--Geoff

Comment

• Spearmint
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DelRay
                            Geoff, I'm like you. Even though "Stairway" is a great song. "Over the hills and far away" is my personal favorite Zep. song. I just mentioned Stairway to heaven because of it's huge popularity.
                            Hey DelRay...

"Over the Hills & Far Away" is also my favorite, obviously not considered by others as it gets left off Led Zeppelins hits albums.

You know I have been trying to figure out what would be my most favorite song, there have been some fantastic titles already listed, and I also love so many, but I guess if I had to choose maybe something like "Nights in White Saturn - The Moody Blues" or "Africa - TOTO", how about "Affirmation - Savage Garden" nah its all too hard.

Hired Goon you are right about Neil & Tim Finn - fantastic song writers.
                            Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"