what are Rotelians using for speaker wires?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

what are Rotelians using for speaker wires?

At the time, Im using regular 16 gauge wires(biwired) from my Rotel to B&W CDM-7NTs setup but its time for an upgrade to better speaker wires. I need some recommendation for the best bang for the buck speaker wires. Any suggestions? My budget is 200-300. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Anyone with similar configuration that has a winning combination? Also, I am seriously considering CAT cables but Im just wondering if anyone else with the similar system has found a good combination for speaker wires. Thanks
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

Harmonictech. I use their cables for everything.
    Last edited by aud19; 30 September 2004, 12:36 Thursday.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Everyone,

Please read the CABLE POSTING RULES when making further posts for this thread....

There is a fine but clear line it is important to not cross when discussing cables in this forum...

If we all stick to that then I am sure we will have an interesting thread to read and contribute to.

Geoff

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

>1. Casual cable discussion is expected as part of audio video. During that discussion, a brand of cables may be mentioned, but not "advertised". It is not permissible to list a hot link or otherwise FULL URL to that company's site.

I ommited the www so I guess I didn't put a hot link or full url... hehehe.. all kidding aside, I think I'm just going to refrain from posting anything about cables.

>2. More freedom is given to DEALER ONLY SOLD PRODUCTS discussion. Kimber Cable, Audioquest, Nordost are a few. These are the brands you only find at your dealer.

Harmonic Technology is sold through dealers only, so I guess I barely made the qualification with my post. You can NOT buy them online direct from them.

Sorry if I offended anybody.

Cheers.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Jlee,

You certainly didn't offend me and the comment wasn't directed at anyone specifically

It was just that we had a similar thread started in one of the other forums in HTGuide that "crossed the line" and was locked by the HT Guide lead sponsor and owner. I was making the point for everyones information because I didn't want anyone to unknowingly go further and result in what could be a really interesting thread being locked...

I hope the thread lives and goes for many pages.

FYI - I use IXOS 806S in a bi-wire configuration and really like ithe detail and clarity they bring... I also hear from a number of people that Cat Cables own "Cat Tails" speaker cables are excellent value for bi-wiring. Certainly I am very impressed with Cat Cables other cables which I have...

Geoff

Comment

• Khorn
            • Sep 2004

OK this may sound strange but its worth checking out. I have always used long runs of cables (35') and a few years back I was talking to Chris Russel of Bryston and he suggested that I try some very heavy duty RG 8/U coax cable as speaker wire. Apparently the electrical properties as well as the inner braided shielding (which is terminated as the negative, the solid core center is the positive ) work really well and also provide RFI isolation required in long runs. Anyway, I got some made up with WBT terminations and I was very satisfied with their performance. I still have them packed away in my basement for some future application.
            RG 8/U can be obtained from most a cable suppliers and is well worth the performance to cost ratio. I think that (cost) at this level it outperforms audio specialty cables.

As the coax mentioned is a "generic" product I hope I am not breaking any forum rules posting about it.

Comment

• theMaximus
              • Jul 2004

I use Audioquest GR8 bi-wire connecting RSX-1056 & RB1070 to B&W 704.
              Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• NHT
                • Mar 2004

The Maximus...how do you like your audioquest cables? What did it do to your sound after hookup and what did you compare them with?

Comment

• theMaximus
                  • Jul 2004

I had Monster Cable M 1.4is bi-wire and never was impressed with the sound I was getting. Audioquest gives me cleaner and more detailed high/mid. Also the soundstage feels much wider now with Audioquest.
                  Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Cowanrg
                    • Feb 2004

im using dual runs of audioquest pike's peak with the upgraded DBS packs (72v instead of 36v). sounds good.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

So far they haven't crossed any lines - these are just responses. And, in fact this is a forum about Audio, of which speaker cables are an integral part. Minimal mention of various cables is allowed. I'll stop any transgressions if they happen.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Cowanrg
                        • Feb 2004

oh, im sorry, i actually have cat calbes, i was just lying about the audioquest :roll:

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

All right. I've modified the posts containing what I feel is an inappropriate word. No more names, please. Polite discussion is encouraged in this forum.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

I've removed most offensive behavior here, so as not to leave names. I'm now locking this thread.
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"