X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audioclyde
    • Aug 2000

SACD

I had auditioned (on a limited basis) the Sony 777 SACD player at my dealers, and was not overwhelmed (maybe not "burned in" completely?). I just placed my new Sony DVP-9000ES in the system, and with the SACD sampler disc included, I am very pleased. Great air and resolution, yet very musical. Now I have to buy more SACD/s!!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

"Danger, Danger Will Robinson!"

That's regarding your bank account, and what can happen to it when the SACD bug bites.

I have an SCD777ES, about six months old, it's definitely revitalized my listening habits, including older CD's, which it does quite well with, better than my trusty old XA7ES (Sony's former top of the line).

Perception of SACD will vary with the system resolution, as well as the original source. Even having a "straight shot" to the master tape sound isn't going to be all that great if the master wasn't. Still, its remarkable how good some "old" SACD relaeases sound, like Carole King "Tapestry". The best recordings are newer ones made with DSD or high res analog for the source. If you're into classical, try the Hyperion "Piano Trios" by the Florestan Trio. It's superb. :B In pop releases, the two Gloria Estefan albums are good, particularly "Alma Caribena". For rock and blues, Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Couldn't Stand the Weather" is well done; I also like Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow". And if anyone you know is into popular soundtracks, "Titanic" is quite a surprise on a good system.

Happy Holidays,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"