X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

Soundstage revisited

I just finished listening to Sgt. Pepper's. I think it's a treat to get away from the continuously repeated homogenous mixes of today and re-experience the soundstage differences of older recordings that the likes of George Martin created years ago when they had fun with 'stereo'.

Most recordings today possess dead center pegging of voices and careful placement of instruments such that with my eyes closed I can't place my speakers. Every recording is the same. If I open my speakers up a little I can stretch the soundstage from center and vise-versa if I close them up toward centre. How nice - how boring.

Go ahead, forget about the war for a few minutes and put on an old recording like Pepper's and see what soundstage was like in its' infancy. Amazing. The use of stereo soundstage was an artform - maybe even a novelty.

brucek
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"