Why you should never buy speakers new.

Check out the depreciation on these puppies:

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
    Steve's OB Journey
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Talk about your price dives, whew! Well, I will say, that if you buy the right speakers, generally 50% is what you can expect on return when you sell them. Obviously, there's exceptions both ways and these fall on the extreme side. But then 36,000 for a speaker I've never heard of the company before, I don't think so.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

I think the title of this thread should be, "Why you should never consider your speakers an investment"

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• dsmith
        • Jan 2003

Yeah, but if you get the right speakers you should expect to keep them a long, long time. Speakers are one item I would never buy used unless I had return privileges, or they were checked by someone I trust for tweeter or other driver damage. IMO no speakers are worth $35,000 in the first place.

Don

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Sad to see, but over at Ebay, the best speakers I see at holding their value seems to be Bose. Must be the high demand. Secondly, some older speakers, such as the Klipsch heritage line can sell for significantly more than when they were new 20-30 years ago. Of course, this doesn't adjust for inflation. Now, the shipping on the pair referenced in this thread would probably cost more than I spend on clothes each year. 700 pounds!!! Better get some stong help to move them in your house after they arrive. Then again, you could probably leave them outside for weeks on end without anyone being able to steal them. Yet, I really wish I owned them, despite the fact that I've never (1) heard them (2) never heard of them. ops:

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hi guys. I'm coming in late to this thread and the link expired. What kind of speakers are you talking about here?

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"