• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonygeno
    • Feb 2003

NHT VT-3 Questions

First time poster. (Thank-you, Ricky.)

I'm considering purchasing the VT-3 system and had a few questions:

1) Do you need a sub with the system or will the internal subs hit THX levels in a 2500 cubic foot room? If you use a separate sub, how do you set the processor to route only the LFE to separate sub?

2) At what height have you mounted the surrounds?

3) Can the switch from music to video be done with the remote and if so is it hard buttoned or toggled with one button?

4) Will this system overpower a 2500 square foot room - physically and sonically? A local dealer told me you needed a minimum of a 20 x 30 foot room for the system to work. Of course, he only had 2.4s My room is 16 x 18 with 10 foot cathedral ceilings.

5) I would describe the old music series as rather "upfront", and the old super series as rather "laidback". Where does the VT-3 fall?

Thanks for any insight.
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

I think the four 10inch woofers with 1000 watts in the VT3s can probably reach 105-110dB at 25hz...which is alot of bass. your room size is medium to slight big, so the VT3 system would work very well. I believe the outboard bass controller is very flexible and will easily accept the 0.1LFE output from your prepro.

The beauty of these powered subs is your Marantz 6100 monos will easily drive the mids and highs....basically five VR5s.

Rear speaker height is a matter of personal taste. I think most people have the tweeters at ear level to 1-2 feet over your head. Ear level might be better if you listen to alot of surround music (ie, 5.1 concert DVDs).

I have listened to VR3s critically on a two occasions. Compared to my 2.9s, I think the new VR3s are slight less forward on top and a little more forward in the upper midrange.

The $9k retail VT3 package sealed/NIB for $4499 plus $249 freight is an incredible deal and value. You should have incredible sonics with your Integra Research prepro!

Comment

• tonygeno
      • Feb 2003

Thanks, Ricky. They're actually asking for $399 for shipping, but it's still an incredible deal. I've currently got a very good setup, an M&K S150THX setup, but...I think it might be time for a new flavor. Plus, I was thinking I could eliminate the two HSU TN1220HO's I've got sitting in the corner of my room and maybe get a slight improvement for two channel audio (though the M&Ks are no slouch here). It's funny when people ask: "What are those two cylinders in the corner ."

I'm going to give the folks at AVLogic a holler tomorrow: maybe try and get the 90 or 180 day free financing deal which will give me some time to sell the M&K's. Of course, buying sight unseen (and sound unheard) is always a scary proposition, but I do it all the time .

The key is to not overpay so that you don't take too big a beating when you sell...but I've got to figure this is a pretty high-end system that should last a long time.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

As good as full range speakers can be, with 2500 sq ft, I think you need to maintain the separate subs. That's my opinion, if you want to maintain real impact. For music, simply don't play them.

Welcome to the Guide!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JohnT
          • Jan 2003

That would be an awesome system and I dont think it would overpower your room( is there such a thing )...that would be a powerfull amount of bass but for those few movies, I myself would still get one big/bad sub for the lfe...

As a note, I have nht 2.9s, ac-2, and vs2.4s for rears in 5.1 setup and also have an svs sub for lfe. I should mention that Im in a small room aprox.15X14..anyway I just added two nht sw2 10 inch subs to my rear speakers (vs2.4s) effectively making my rears full range speakers . Its a major improvement in my rear soundstage as it rounds out my backstage nicely. I have found that their is more bass recorded in the rear channels then I thought! definately nice having full range speakers in the rear. I dont feel its overpowering at all and thats in my small room, but you'd have to kill me to pry that big/bad svs sub off of my lfe channel..

Comment

• Ricky
            • Aug 2000

Tony,

No need to guess on the LFE sub. Just keep your HSUs until you get the NHTs; then you can try the LFE into the NHTs without the HSUs. Then with one HSU, and two HSUs....and make your decision.

Comment

• tonygeno
              • Feb 2003

Thanks for the replies. Ricky: I know I can keep the HSUs and try them out. I was just wondering if 4 10s would give me the same kind of output as I'm getting with the 2-12" Hsu's.

John: How do I send only the LFE to the subs. I've got Integra Research RDC-7a and I'm not sure how I'd configure the processor and the VT-3 box to send only the LFE to the subs. I've looked at the VT-3 manual, but this is still not real clear.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                • Sep 2000

You might also want to consider adding a Behringer Feedback Destroyer so you can EQ the bass. Then you will have much smaller room problems, if any.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
                Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

2500 square feet in a single room?!? How do you squeeze that into a 16x18 room?

Am I missing something?

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• tonygeno
                    • Feb 2003

The room is 16 x 18 x 10. I have updated the original post to read cubic feet. Sorry to cause you any confusion. Now how do you think the VT-3 will sound in that room?

Comment

• Ricky
                      • Aug 2000

My room is 15x18x9.5 and my 3.3 based 7.2 system sounds fine. You really don't need to worry about room size.

Comment

• JohnT
                        • Jan 2003

Tony,

Im not familiar with the "box" on the vt-3's. I just set my processor to large rears/fronts and put sub yes for lfe channel and crossover at 80 hz.Maybe somebody with hands on experience with the vt-3s can help with regards to "the box".

Comment

• Ricky
                          • Aug 2000

Tony,

You can download the manual from the NHT site. Also, a call into A/V Logic should tell you how to do this. I recall reading several VT3 owners sending the LFE output directly into their subs.

http://www.nhthifi.com/home_productInfo.asp?ProductID=47

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

overpower your room

This would be a problem, how?

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• tonygeno
                              • Feb 2003

Update:

Still haven't pulled the trigger yet, and maybe it's good I didn't. In looking at the Audiovideologic web site, the rears of this system are not VR-3s, but VC-3s. Is this a problem?

Thanks

Comment

• Ricky
                                • Aug 2000

Tony,

You should call NHT and ask them about VC3s as rears.

Or you could consider 3.3s for mains (new or used), AC2 center, and 1.5s or VS2.4a for rears.

Comment

• tonygeno
                                  • Feb 2003

Well, I think the only way they'd work as designed would be if you placed them horizontally. The new Evolution series does not distinguish between fronts, centers or rears - you use either the T-5 or T-6, but the review in SGHT showed some response anomolies as you moved off axis, and they differed depending on whether they were mounted horizontally or vertically.

I'm not sure NHT is going to want to kill Audiovideologic's sales by telling folks they won't work well as rears, so I'm not sure how forthcoming they'd be as to their real opinions. One other possibility would be to keep the rears I have (which actually fit in better because they're not as large) and just get the front 3. I know they'll sell the VT3 separately. Not sure if they'd let a center go without the rears.

Comment

• Ricky
                                    • Aug 2000

If you can NHT, try not to mention A/V Logic's deal. Yeah, the front 3 would work also. You can always try to get VR3s or VS2.4s later.

Comment

• Ricky
                                      • Aug 2000

A friend who got VR3s and VC3 for his front said that according to NHT, the SB3 bookshelfs have similiar drivers and would be fine as rears.

Comment

• tonygeno
                                        • Feb 2003

Thanks, again, Ricky. I've been looking over my configuration, and 3 VC-3s would actually work better. I've got bookcases on either side of the listening position (for the surrounds) and the VCs would filt perfectly horizontally, tilted down with the tilting bracket. How large is the room you have your 3.3s in? Also, I noticed you unloaded an HSU 1220HO. Did you feel it redundant with the 3.3s?

Comment

• Ricky
                                          • Aug 2000

My room is 18x15x9. Maybe I'll set the subwoofer to NONE and see how much bass I miss on DVDs. My 3.3s have ample bass for music.

My wife and I don't like the HSU's cosmetics in our living room. My two sw3p LFE subs do double duty as end tables.

Comment

• Rich B
                                            • Jun 2002

Tony:

An NHT tech told me that the SB3 driver is same as the driver in the VR/VC speakers, and tweeter is very similar (if not same) as well.

Rich B.

Comment

• tonygeno
                                              • Feb 2003

I contacted NHT re using the VC-3 as surrounds and they said they can be used. So that's no longer a reason not to proceed.

Comment

• tonygeno
                                                • Feb 2003

UPDATE:

I just ordered a set of Evolution T-5s and M-5's with P-5 stands (I'll need to find an additional M-5 for the center) for the princely sum of $2000. I got dealer demos from a dealer that is dropping the line. I like the idea of the split woofer/satellites. This old back can't handle 130 pounds of speakers any more which is what the VT-3 weighs.

I'll post my thoughts once they arrive. They should be here on Monday as the dealer is a 1 day UPS ride.

Comment

• Ricky
                                                  • Aug 2000

Tony,

Nice buy, let us know how everything sounds! I spoke to an NHT tech last week, and he thinks very highly of the Evolution speakers and uses them himself.

For those less familiar with the evolution model numbers, Tony is basically getting five identical M5 monitors, with two B5 12inch subs (to form stereo main towers), and two P5 pedestals (stands for his rears). See this link:

NHT (Now Hear This), Llc. is an American loudspeaker company based in Benicia, California that specializes in acoustic suspension loudspeakers and patented in-ceiling speakers

Comment

• tonygeno
                                                    • Feb 2003

I'll let you know how it all sounds. Actually, I'm only getting 4 M5's. I've got to rustle up a 5th to complete the setup. Jack Hidley, one of the founders of NHT, was involved with the design of the Evolution series. I have spoken to him in the past (with regard to some NHT pro stuff) and he knows whereof he speaks . I am excited.

Comment

• Ricky
                                                      • Aug 2000

Tony,

Ever thought about getting the Integra Research RDA-7 7 channel amp to match your Integra Research prepro? Designed by BAT and $5k retail. Looks nice, and this dealer will probably let it go for ~ 2500. You can even sell the two NHT A1 sub amps, and let the Integra's 6th and 7th channels drive the NHT subs...

Comment

• tonygeno
                                                        • Feb 2003

Hey Ricky. You're good at spending other people's money.

The problem is that at 112 pounds, I couldn't bear to lift it! I've got a Sherbourn 5/1500A which at 85 pounds is already a back breaker.

So far so good with the M5s. Very accurate, smooth sound, and all the volume I need. I haven't set up the subs yet as UPS succeeded in damaging one. They're picking it up today to inspect it and I should have it by Friday. I think I'm going to push for a new shipping carton (the orignal has been badly damaged) and a $100 rebate. Hope they buy it, but I think it's only fair. The value of the piece has surely been diminished by the damage.

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"