X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Small center, 0.38 cubic foot

Hi All,

I just purchased one of the 0.38 cubic foot parts express enclosures with the idea of designing my first serious crossover, and the logical choice seems to be a center channel.

I presently use a pair of Modula MTs as my main speakers, and some Aurasound NS3-193's as my surrounds. Using a sound pressure level meter with movies, it appears that my peak SPL is only in the high 80s or low 90s at 2 meters, with normal dialog in the mid 60s and the background noise floor in the high 30s.

My idea right now is to use a Creative Sound WR125s with a Vifa D26NC55 tweeter, with a crossover just below 3 khz. I would place the enclosure on its side, and align the drivers vertically. My receiver has an adjustable highpass that goes all the way up to 200 hz, so I could use a similar driver with lower Xmax if it made things easier.

Alternately, if anyone thinks a horizontal MT is a good idea for a center channel, I'd be interested in giving that Ascendant Audio 6.5 a chance.

My main focus for this project is good vocal intelligibility, with low end extension as a low priority.

Any thoughts, opinions, or abuse? :W
    -Joe Carrow
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I'd go Aura NS4-255's (the 8ohm ones Mad has) personally, and maybe a

T
    MM

Either the WR125 or the AA 6.5 are not going to voice-match with your mains nearly as well as I think the Auras will. Target a slightly lower crossover as well, perhaps 2.5k 4th order. Should be quite reasonably done still.

My $.02
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

Thanks, I was kind of worried that the existing metal cones will be noticeably more pistonic than paper or poly.

I just had to pick up the cabinet; the sale price and free shipping were too good to resist.

The aurasound woofers will visually match my surrounds as well, if I can make them look good enough to leave the grills off.
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"