X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfox
    • Jan 2003

What do you guys recommend here?

I am in the process of making some changes/upgrade s to my system and would like your feedback. Here's the situation.

A good friend of mine will be selling his B&W 804 (Matrix series) shortly. He is doing a major upgrade and has offered them to me at great price.
    I currently have the 805 matrix's and the matching center across the front and if successful in getting the 804's would move the 805's to the rear.

I currently drive my system with a Yamaha 2092. Its been an O.K. receiver but I've always felt the 805's deserved better to maximize their potential and the remote interface is horrible.

So what I'm thinking of doing is getting a good quality three channel amp up front and then a newer receiver (with Dolby Progic II)to drive the 805's in the rear. I have about a $2,000 budget I'll be working with.

About three years ago I did a comparision of an Aragon 8008, Krell, Bryston and Rotel amps. The Krell and Aragon were my favorites but from the dollar value the Aragon was my pick. However, I know the Aragon runs very hot and the amp will be going into an enclosed cabinet. I loved the detail the Aragon had which is my main criteria here but am concerned about the heat. I've heard the Sunfire amps provide a lot of detail and run fairly cool. So I'm curious what you guys might sugggest. I'd like the amp to provide a lot of detail from the music and that could survive in an enclosed cabinet without me worrying about the heat buildup.

I also want to sell the Yamaha and get a newer receiver that would have the Pro Logic II option with it. We watch TV about 75% of the time and the ability to have 5 channel sound while doing that sounds really nice. I'm thinking something along the lines of at least a 100wpc to power the 805's. And the other criteria for the receiver would be something that's fairly easy to set-up and use. I'm not a "big" tweaker so having an infinite number of adjustments isn't a major factor here. The biggest complaint I get from my family is "this is too hard to use." So a receiver with a user friendly interface is a must.

I've read the Integras are easy to use but thats on their dedicated pre/pro which I'd love to have but at this time exceeds my budget.

So guys - any suggestions, inputs you have would be most appreciated. I'd plan on buying the amp used off one of the web sites and getting either a new or refurbished receiver. Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Chip
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Is 2K the amp budget, or for amp and receiver? That might be a tall task to get a really good amp...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• dsmith
      • Jan 2003

Step 1. Go to Audiogon.com and search "sunfire". There is a B-stock Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 channel amp with full warranty from the Stereo Trading Outlet for $1,480. Nothing in that price range will run as cool or sound as good.

Step 2. Forget the receiver. There are several good AV processors for sale at audiogon, many dealer demos with full warranty. The new Rotel 1066 is an especially good unit for the price (about $1,200).

Good luck.

dsmith

Comment

• cfox
        • Jan 2003

Lex:

Yes, $2,000 is the overall budget for both amp and receiver. My very outside limit would probably be $2,500. That's the primary reason for looking for a receiver as a pre/pro at least right now.

dsmith:

Thanks for the heads up on both the Sunfire and the Rotel. These together are looking like it might be beyond the budget. I looked on audioreview for info on the Rotel and liked what I read on the reviews. I was very surprised by the price .... this warrants some serious consideration with its features and price. There's a Rotel dealer here in San Diego - looks like I'll drop by and see what its user interface is like.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
          • Sep 2000

I'd be awfully tempted to investigate the H/K AVR520 as a prepro and to drive rears and the Citation 7.1. You should be able to get both for under $1500.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
          Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

look no further then Club Rotel for what i'd recomend In your shoes I'd be looking at a Rotel 1055 receiver and a nice two channel amp for the mains.

Comment

• cfox
              • Jan 2003

Steve:

The H/K AVR520 is one of the receivers I'm considering. It has been mentioned before as a good substiute for a pre/pro. Funny you mention the Citation 7.1 as I recall Ricky likes these as well. I haven't seen the 520 "up close and personal" so I'd like to check out its user interface as well.

Andrew:

Thank you for the invite to Club Rotel. I've been checking out the various posts and the 1066 seems to have its share of happy users. I need to look at more posts as it seems the ongoing debate of receiver versus dedicated pre/pro is explored fully here.

Thanks for all the input so far guys ..... lots of things to consider here so far.

Chip

Comment

• dsmith
                • Jan 2003

Chip, I am currently using the H/K AVR520 as a pre for my digital sources, with the front channels running through the Citation 7.0. My amps are the Innersound ESL front and the Innersound HT three channel center and surrounds. My brother uses the AVR510 - we got them both refurbished at Ubid.com and they came with the full manufacturer warranty. Both look and perform as new. I don't see any at Ubid now, but you can get them for a good price at harmanaudio.com. Look under "Specials" for receivers. The AVR320 goes for $398 and has everything the AVR520 has except smaller amps - not a problem if you use a separate amp. The 520 goes for $548. I would get the 320 and put the money saved toward the sunfire. Then - go to svsubwoofers.com and order one of their powered subs - you won't regret it.

Don Smith

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"