X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TSG
    • Jan 2003

Should I be concerned?

Hi guys (& gals?)

I've had a few days to evaluate my new (used) B&K pre-amp.. There is a low level of hiss in the speakers when no source is playing on all the inputs. It is really pronounced on the phono section. I've also discovered leakage (cross-talk?) from one input to the other. I can play a cd on the cd input and hear it faintly on another...

Is what I described normal? Is this a sign of breaking down or do you think it was like this when new? Should I be concerned? I'm not sure either is a problem because it sounds great.. but maybe it could be better? Maybe I should send it to B&K for a check up?

Your feedback will be appreciated!

Tom
    Tom
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

All electronic devices generate hiss, it's only a problem if it is audible from your seating position. Take pretty much any system, no matter how expensive, and put your ear up to the tweeter and you'll hear hiss. The phono section has higher gain so it will tend to have a higher level of hiss as well. Do you have a turntable hooked up? If not, the open inputs could be picking up noise.

Crosstalk is also pretty common, and as long as it isn't excessive, it isn't a problem. When you have your selected source playing you likely won't hear it at all.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"