ACI Sapphire III LE stand mount speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chameleon
    • Jun 2002

ACI Sapphire III LE stand mount speakers?

i'm currently looking for stand mounted speakers around $1000 budget and this speaker was suggested to me in another forum.
    does anybody have any opinions about this speaker? cant really demo them since they are manufacturer direct purchase speakers? any opinions? suggestions?
    thanks
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I haven't heard of them, but 1K puts you in the ballpark with a new pair of Sonus faber Concertinos, maybe a used pair of Concertos.

Any links to them?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• pf
      • Oct 2000

Here you go, Doug.

http://www.audioc.com

Btw, the SuperDopers are making out fine. Are those 'bullet' RCA's? Where's the link about them for I think I read somewhere on Stereophile's ad about them a while back but never got the link straight. Thanks.

PF

Comment

• EMT
        • Aug 2000

Here are a few reviews that you might check out if you have not done so already.

How many have listened to the ACI Sapphire III
        Project: Jaguar
        Diva 6.1 vs ACI Sapphire III speakers
        ACI Sapphire III Loudspeaker…
        ACI Sapphire Review
        ACI Sapphire III Speakers Review by Aaron T
        ACI Sapphire III Speakers Review by eldragon
        ACI Sapphire III Speakers Review by Firebird

BTW, I own a pair and like them very much.

Comment

• chameleon
          • Jun 2002

thanks for your response those links are very helpful, do you happen to know if there is a major difference between the sapphire iii le and the sapphire iii

Comment

• EMT
            • Aug 2000

Differences between the Sapphire III and the newer LE styled cabinet are cosmetic only.

Comment

• Robbie
              • Aug 2000

I haven't heard these speakers but I find that the company uses AudioReview.com ratings for their comparisons a bit odd. I always find these suspect. Just an observation.

Robbie

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Robbie,

Why do you find them suspect?

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Robbie
                  • Aug 2000

David

Hmmmmm, let's see ratings done by consumers now that's objective. I realize people for the most part (maybe) try to objectively analyze their gear, but how many people are writing reviews based on hearsay or non side by side comparisons or hate a particlar company and dishes everthing they make or write BS reviews during a drunkin stuper some Friday night trying to be funny.

That's why

Robbie

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

There was one comparision that bugged me. They bragged about the Sf Concerto being 1895.00 I think. Said theirs was what, 1099. Well, something, however, the nice wood finish, walnut I believe was a 200.00 add on. Suddening, it's actually 1299 for a comparable finish, and even then, the side panels don't compare. Sf with their specially contoured cabinet, and the ACI with a straight panel. Anyway, that just sort of bugged me.

Lex
                    Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Robbie,

Okay, I gotcha!

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• chameleon
                        • Jun 2002

i'm still looking for quality bookshelf speakers that fits my need and budget and i demoed the concertinos paired with a 60w per channel rotel amp and cd player. im impressed with the sound. it sounds natural and clear. the only gripe i have is the lower bass but i guess i cant expect that from a 6" driver in a small bookshelf enclosure anyway. would you happen to know the impedance and sensitivity of these speakers. are they efficient enough to be driven by my integra dtr 7.1 which can only handle 6 ohm nominal?
                        i understand that it wont sound as good if i use the receiver instead of a good quality integrated amp. i cant afford a quality amp right now but im itching to buy this speaker. maybe get the integrated amp after 3 months.
                        thanks for your response

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

15 litres high speed two-way bass reflex. Tweeter: 20 mm silk dome ferrofluid. Mid-woofer: 180 mm cellulose carbonium cone magnetically shielded. Crossover: First order attenuated. Sensitivity: 87 dB/1W/1mt. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal. Connection: Bi-wiring. Power handling: 30 W - 200 W. Frequency response: 45 - 20.000 Hz ±3 dB. Cabinet: Conbination of leather and solid walnut or black piano laquer. Dimensions: 360 x 225 x 340 mm (H x W x D) - 14¼ x 8¾ x 13" (H x W x D). Weight: 22 kg. (48 lbs.) per packaged pair
                          Those are the specs from the older edition of Concertinos. But honestly, I do question that 200 watt top rating. Not sure that is accurate. Characteristically, most of the concert series were rated at 150 watts.

The Tinos are a bit thin, unfortunate, but true. They are thinner than their Concerto counterpart. the Concertos could be a nice music only 2 way without sub support, but likely not the Tinos. I still say keep your eyes open for used Concertos. Or you could wait a bit for something else I may have a lead on. But I can't comment more on that at this point.

Also, as long as your willing to watch the volumes, throwing more amp at them, can result in a fuller sound. Driving my GPs with a proceed HPA-2 makes them dance, lol.

Lex
                          Doug

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Whoops, that was the specs from the concertos, not Tinos... Sorry.
                            Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• chameleon
                              • Jun 2002

thanks for the response Lex
                              could you please let me know if something comes up i guess ill can wait a little bit for something better.
                              ill probably demo the concertos, they're out of my price range(im planning to buy an integrated amp and a decent dvd player for my this two channel system and i can only allocate $1000 for speakers at this point) but im willing to buy used for a better sound. youre right when i listened to the concertinos it lacked the bass but i still liked them. you said the concertos has ample bass even without a sub, for me that's pretty close to perfection (im not an "expert on speakers" but im really impressed with the concertinos sound) thanks for the info on the concertos.
                              appreciate it

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

have you considered building your own speakers?

Comment

• chameleon
                                  • Jun 2002

no woodworking skills
                                  thanks though
                                  i checked out your website. your hometheater was very impressive. ive read a lot about the adire subs but never heard them. i might consider buying one to pair with my bookshelfs the sales person recommended rel subs but i dont intend to spend that much money on a sub (totally out of my budget). i like rotel too, im considering the RA-1070 integrated amp i think they sound great paired with the sonus fabers which i demoed with the RA-1060 60w/channel amp.
                                  thanks for you input

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Vince, I sure will let you know. I will also keep my eyes open for used for you.

Lex
                                    Doug

Comment

• chameleon
                                      • Jun 2002

thanks Lex i appreciate it
                                      i always check audiogon but its great having somebody knowledgeable helping me in picking the right speaker

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Oh yeah Vince, REL has a reputation of being the most musical sub in existance. So, a recommendation for REL is definitely a good thing. They arent' as big for slam bang for home theater, but for music, offer the tightest base possible. Excellent pairing with Sf speakers.

That's not to say some of the new kids on the block can't deliver the goods. I just have no basis for comparison with stryke, Adire, SVS, etc...

Lex
                                        Doug

Comment

• chameleon
                                          • Jun 2002

Lex
                                          i wanted to demo the rel sub but its kinda hard to set up with the concertinos hooked up to an integrated amp. do you think nad amps/rotel amps match well with sonus fabers? any other brands for integrated amps? i saw an ad for a used concerto in audiogon for $950? is this a good price for it? is it true that the older concertos sound better than the new ones? do you know when the new ones (sonus faber home series) came out ? im considering purchasing these speakers but the seller is kinda far from my area. i dont mind buying used but i prefer buying it somewhere relatively close so i can see it first. considering that its physical and performance condition is unknown cause i know there's no warranty to cover it.
                                          thanks again

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

do you think nad amps/rotel amps match well with sonus fabers?
                                            Actually, they may be a bit warm for them, just guessing. Of course, this is a personal taste thing. I have ran mine with Parasound, and sounded pretty good, just a bit more closed in than with my Proceed. Of course, that could be true with any closer to mid-fi amp. So, unfortunately, it's a situation where you will have to audition to be sure it matches your taste.

any other brands for integrated amps?
                                            Music only, might consider an integrated tube amp. Just an idea.

i saw an ad for a used concerto in audiogon for $950? is this a good price for it?
                                            Very good price!

is it true that the older concertos sound better than the new ones?

I can't really say. I have no basis for comparison unfortunately.

do you know when the new ones (sonus faber home series) came out ?
                                            I am thinking last year, which means it's probably close to 2 years now, lol.

im considering purchasing these speakers but the seller is kinda far from my area. i dont mind buying used but i prefer buying it somewhere relatively close so i can see it first. considering that its physical and performance condition is unknown cause i know there's no warranty to cover it.
                                            I understand your point, best thing you can do is talk to the person, get a feel for how honest they are, ask questions. Get his phone number, work phone, and address if you buy. Is it an auction? How's his feedback? Were these his personal speakers, or is he just a seller?

I actually purchased my Concertos off the net. Had a good feeling about the seller, and everything was just as he said, pristine condition. 1250 including a pair of Lovan Ballet II stands.

thanks again
                                            Sure!

Lex
                                            Doug

Comment

• chameleon
                                              • Jun 2002

Lex,
                                              i like the tube sound, i demoed an Antique sound lab tube amp iMO they sound great
                                              but:
                                              1) dont want to warm up equipment before i can listen
                                              2) dont want to replace tubes too often (listen to music a lot)
                                              3) theyre expensive
                                              4) they run too hot

Do you have any solid state integrated amp recommendations?
                                              in your opinion, which one has a more direct effect on the sound the integrated amp or the cd/dvd player (considering the digital to analog conversion occurs there)?

how about placement?
                                              at what distance should the concertos be from the rear and side walls for the concertos to perform well?

about the concerto seller:
                                              he was very prompt in responding to my e-mail requesting pictures and specs. im still worried about purchasing through paypal though knowing its highly probable that i wont get my money back if the product is messed up? i hope something comes up around my area. i live around los angeles and ive seen several ads for sonus faber speakers here before? dont really mind driving 200 mi just to be sure im purchasing something good. whats your opinion on concertinos with a quality musical sub? do you think the sound would be comparable to the concertos? i know it's subjective, i just want your opinion.
                                              thanks again
                                              vince

Comment

• Lex
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Apr 2001

Ok, amps, solid state. Proceed comes to mind, Aragon could be good. A used HPA-2 may go for 1500-1800, sold for 3600 new. Jon is the guy for Aragon, if he shows up here. ThomasW has quite a bit of experience with them too.

These speakers will perform best with some side wall room because they can image like crazy. As to the back, a few feet in front of the wall would be great. My GPs are just a footprint ahead of amp rack, subs with a bit of air at the back, and perform well. (that's about 3 feet to wallish area.) Check the photo at my home page:

I am sure in LA area, there are LOTs of speakers for sale at any one point in time. Let your fingers do the walking.

I think the Concertinos could give you near 100% of highs, and probably 90% of mid-range of Concertos. Just guessing. Low bass, if sub supported is not relevent, but the Concertinos will only support about a 60% number there, guessing.

Could you be happy with the Tinos? Sure you could. But not as happy if yo spent a week with the Concertos first.

For the amp, you want a transparent, almost brite amp. Pairing it with a warm duller amp could make your speakers a little lifeless.

Lex
                                                Doug

Comment

• chameleon
                                                  • Jun 2002

thanks a lot Lex
                                                  appreciate you help
                                                  i guess id have to look harder for used concertos, and aragon amps, ive seen used krell at this price point is it a good match too?

Comment

• Lex
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Apr 2001

While I don't have personal experiece with Krell, I am sure they make some good stuff! I also know they make several series amps. KV comes to mind as one of their more standard series, I think. I would definitely give a used Krell a listen.

Besides, just think, if you planned to get a Krell, I could say this:

"Dude, your gettin a Krell"! :LOL:

Lex
                                                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"