This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gornir
    • Oct 2011

Stand-mount loudspeaker using AudioTechnology 15H and Scanspeak D3004/660000

Hi everyone,

I’ve read this Forum with great interest for some time, but I haven’t written anything about my designs here yet. I thought I would share my latest design called the Sequence Two – Monitor.

It uses very high quality drivers from AudioTechnology and ScanSpeak and finally after several weeks of fine tuning and tweaking the design is finished and ready to share!

I’m very happy with the result as it turned out to be a very nice sounding stand-mount loudspeaker with many high-end qualities.

This was the first time I’ve worked with an AudioTechnology driver and what a pleasant acquaintance. This is one of the best sounding mid-woofer drivers I’ve ever heard and it’s very easy to work with. Yes it’s pricey, but it delivers both sonically and in measurements.

The ScanSpeak tweeter is a rock solid performer, so no surprises here and it matches the AT driver just perfectly.

Very early in the design process I decided to use a true symmetrical LR2 filter topology, since both these drivers seemed to be perfect candidates for a successful design using this topology.

In order to make it work I had to take into account the relative acoustic center off-set between the tweeter and mid-woofer. I decided to develop and test two different filter versions and approaches to address the off-set.

I built and tested the first filter version by using a slanted baffle or as in this case a backwards tilting enclosure and the second by using a “ladder delay network” circuit within the tweeters cross-over filter section.

Both these cross-over filter versions turned out to be very good, so I decided to publish them both. The decision which one to use is up to the builder and it’s a choice of either a more complex enclosure design or a more complex filter design.

I personally think the “ladder delay network” filter version have slightly higher performance as it have some more “presence” in its character and slightly better phase distortion characteristics.

At a pair price of about 1600 US$ it’s not exactly a cheap DIY loudspeaker design, but in my opinion it’s well worth it when it outperforms many high-end loudspeakers in the same size often costing several times more.

This will not be the last time I will use an AudioTechnology driver in one of my designs, that’s for sure.

For further details and the complete design descriptions see:

Sequence Two - Monitor

Have a nice weekend!

Regards

/Göran
    Attached Files

Author of the "AudioExcite Loudspeaker Design" website

http://www.audioexcite.com
  • agrippa
    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gornir

At a pair price of about 1600 US$ it’s not exactly a cheap DIY loudspeaker design, but in my opinion it’s well worth it when it outperforms many high-end loudspeakers in the same size often costing several times more.

/Göran

This is the goal. Most of us got into this to have high end speakers with a low end budget. Congrats, they look nice. Have fun listening. Watch out and see that the bug doesn't bite you or you will be building piles of them. Like me. I think I have built about 2 dozen sets( from small computer speakers to 7 foot tall monsters) plus half a dozen subs and yet I only own one super cheap set. Huh? Well, I got to get back at it and build some more.
    Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
    Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"