X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Phono Needles

Does anyone know the average life of the needle on turntables? And when you can tell that you need one? I could use some help.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Man it's been along time since I had to answer one of these

This is completely dependant on the tracking weight and how clean the records are kept. The only real way to check is with a magnifying glass looking for wear.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks ThomasW. I bought this turntable (Sony direct drive) ten years ago complete with cartridge/needle. That was two states (moves) ago so, the paper work is gone. Looks like it's time to buy a magnifying glass! Thanks again.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

John

If it's that old, yes it needs a new needle

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yea, that's what I figured too. I will start the hunt!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"