X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

How long before VHS is no more?

I was just thinking now that DVD is recordable and hard-drives have replaced tapes, when will the industry say no more tape....

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Good question John. I think the answer lies in 2 things.

1. DVD RECORDERS sell for less than 100 bucks and players sell for 50 Blanks would be 2 bucks a pop.
    2. Tape rentals go away first.
    3. Then it's down to a few home use tapes left.
    4. At that point, the VCR dies the death of Laserdisc.

That's my take. Time estimate? Not for 5 years.

Lex

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I think it will be longer than 5 years. Just imagine the size of the VHS library. I still have tapes in my collection( although it is shrinking) that have never been released on laserdisc let alone DVD. There are also all those Joe sixpacks who can't stand widescreen and rent or buy tapes because they only want pan and scan.It is also these very people who could cause problems for we DVD widescreen lovers. Already I have noticed too many DVD titles being available in P&S only.
      When DVD first came out, many offered a choice of widescreen and P&S. If the studios went back to that,DVDs would probably then overtake VHS in time,but probably not until the former's library started coming close to VHS. Just my opinion. Lex could be right.
      George

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I think VHS will evolve into formats that allow it to live for a lot longer then we'd hope. There's already talk about a HD version of VHS that some studio's were looking into (god help us) Besides I havne' tbought a cassette tape for over ten years and seleciton at stores is virtually non existant but you still see tape players in cars.

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Well, for my own personal greed, not soon enough!
          It's frustrating to see only Box office hits come up for rent on DVD, while the also rans are relegated to VHS only.

I have had to rent on VHS just so I could see the film.

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

All of you of you bring up strong points. I was figuring around five to six years.

There are alot of film yet to transfer to dvd, like George said. Why it hasn't happened I don't understand. Maybe the average guy thing is stronger than I thought.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

Well, I heard it said just after the release of DVD, that many movies won't be coming to DVD. Why? Authoring cost must be offset by demand. Plus, they can only produce so many a year. So, a niche film with only a small following won't likely see production. Of course, as production costs come down, and the backlog of blockbusters is decreased, we will begin to see more of backwash of minor films hit dvd. I think we are already seeing this concept occur.

Just yesterday I bought "Escape from New York", 1981 Kurt Russell following to Escape from LA. Or was it vice versa? I forget. Anyway, I can see the following of this film being somewhat limited. It's old, and it never was a really hot ticket, just guessing. I figured for 15 bucks, might be fun, so I picked it up. Just after DVD's introduction, experts would have probably said, that film won't go to DVD.

As more and more of this occurs, AND DVD-RW recorders hit market for say 100 bucks (dream on), and blanks are cheap, bye bye VHS.

Ok, so it might not totally go away that fast, but what's critical, is it the medium of choice for rental? That's the determining factor. Not yet, but it's early yet.

Lex

Comment

• Greg Stone
                • Aug 2000

Blockbuster in my area is really pushing DVD. All the commercials on TV and the mail outs are highlighting the DVD selection, etc.

Once they go predominantly DVD, VHS will start a fast descent to extinction.

Greg's DVD's

Comment

• Lexman
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2000

True. I am doing a 30 DVDs for 30 days with BB right now, for 20 bucks. Not a bad deal at all. Of course, the negative is they only let you check out 1 per day. They want you to get used to coming in day after day to rent, then they pop you back to retail. Well, that might not work completely, but I admit, the deal did get me back in the store. Of course, BB is conveniently located where I pass every day, so it's not a big deal to go by there, just a little more hassle than I really like.

Lex

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Well it took damn near three yrs for dvd players to hit the $100 mark. I won't hold my breath for DVD-R to do the same.

I also thought about trying the BB deal. I have yet to go in and read the small print. It is a better deal than Netflix!

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

Somehow I have a feeling that VHS won't die while George Lucas is still kicking. Why?

Because, if VHS dies, what would he re-release "that" trilogy for the 49th time on? CED?

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                      My HT Site

Comment

• P-Dub
                        Office Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Installed base. Millions upon millions of prerecorded vhs, rentals, etc. This will never go away.

Ease of use. Yes, even for those that can't set the time, they can still put the tape in and play.

Recordability. You can't give someone a copy of your Tivo, you need to record that onto tape. DVD recordable is still expensive, and I think will always be expensive. When I give someone a tape, I really don't care if I get it back.

Personally I think VHS will be around for a long time to come, 10 to 20 years.

There might be a hybrid type VCR, wasn't there talk of the D-VHS? Records High Def but backward compatibe to standard VHS.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Robbie
                          • Aug 2000

OK, Here's my take...The local Hastings here in Alamogordo is slowly expanding the DVD section and reducing the VHS. Give VHS several years (maybe 5 or so) and the rental stores will convert to DVD. When that happens VHS will have limited appeal and will slowly fade but not entirely dissappear. More and more people are renting DVDs at the store so I can't see VHS staying around to much longer. The price of DVD players will continue to fall increasing the allure to joe six pack. It's just a matter of time.

Robbie

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"