X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audioclyde
    • Aug 2000

Tube pre in HT/2 channel setup

I'm considering placing a tubed preamp in my combo HT/2 channel setup, want a bit more warmth/sweetness in 2 channel. I've seen some pre's with "unity gain throughput" specifically for use in such a setup, but others say about any pre with tape monitor feature can be used. Any thoughts or suggestions on what tubed pre's to consider? Thanks
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Cary, CJ, and JR, just to name a few, all make tubed preamps that can be ordered with a HT bypass.

Q.
    Q.

Comment

• Phil Rose
      • Aug 2000

You can also try this preamp http://www.avahifi.com/fetvalec.htm it seems to have some avid followers on the Audio Review site http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/P...uct_5823.shtml

Comment

• MichaelW
        • Aug 2000

Audioclyde,

A unity gain is a nice feature to have but somewhat limits your choices on units. Any 2 channel preamp can be used. In my setup, I use the Cary SLP-98L tube preamp. This preamp does have a tape loop but no specific unity gain. What I do is simply connect the front L&R preamp outputs from my HT preamp/processor to the AUX input on my SLP-98L preamp. When I want to do HT I select the AUX input and set the volume position to 12:00. I have calibrated my front speakers with the 12:00 volume position on my HT preamp/processor.

My best suggestion is focus on the sound quality of the 2 channel tube preamp for 2 channel music first. Find one that appeals to you sonically in your system then concentrate on the HT side. If the 2 channel preamp is not a good sonic match for your system then it is not going to matter much whether it has a unity gain feature or not.

Comment

• Phil Rose
          • Aug 2000

As always, great advice Michael!

I've been poking around in the same area and found that the Sonic Frontiers Line 1, 2 & 3 also have bypass inputs for HT. The Line 2 & 3 have gotten good reviews and made the "A" list for preamps.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

• Audioclyde
            • Aug 2000

Thanks to all for the input; Michael, you and I have exchanged info in the past (mainly about the AVP and what to do for transports).

Phil, I'm intrigued by the AVA products (price seems good too).

I really have simple needs in the way of inputs, want remote control, and prefer the "warm"/ lush side--open to any suggestions.

Comment

• Phil Rose
              • Aug 2000

FYI,

I had the chance to ask Frank Van Alstine about remote control for his preamps and he said that a motor driven volume control (pot) is in the works. You may want to e-mail AVA and ask what the availability is.

Comment

• Audioclyde
                • Aug 2000

I'm going to try a BAT VK-30 in the system this week; I'll let you know of my thoughts.

Comment

• Audioclyde
                  • Aug 2000

After a weekend with the BAT VK-30, I'm pretty pleased with its performance. Incredibly quiet/black background, with great detail. The unit had been boxed for a considerable period, so it seems to be "breaking in" a bit (for those who believe in such), with the mids opening up and very rich/full after a hard weekend's exercise.

Comment

• MichaelW
                    • Aug 2000

Audioclyde,

If the unit has not been used in a while then it is possible that the 6 6DJ8 (6922 or 7308) tubes may need some break-in time. I would also suggest finding out which type of tube is being used in the VK-30 because tube rolling may be in order at some point. I think that once you get a handle on the type of sound produced by the VK-30 then you can play around with swapping in/out different type of 6922 and 7308 tubes. I had the good fortune of demo'ing the BAT VK-D5 CD player, in my system, for several days and loved its sound so I understand how good the BAT products are. Is congrats in order?

Comment

• Audioclyde
                      • Aug 2000

Michael,

I think so; I'm travelling to NY this weekend so won't get to spend much more time with the BAT (but do plan to visit some of Manhattan's stores to hear some other products). The person who had the BAT noticed the same thing and tried some tube rolling; I'll probably do the same after some more time with it in its current config.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"