X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LarryB
    • Dec 2001

New speaker from Sonus faber

The "baby" Amati Homage, the Cremona, is now on the Sonus faber website.

Larry

P.S. I apologize if this has already been discussed - - - I've been away for a while.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Larry. I saw a line about this in one of the latest HT/stereo mags I subscribe to. I haven't seen anything about it here on the forum. Wonder if Lex has booked his flight to Italy to audition them?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

United flight 732 departing Atlanta on Wednesday April... jk. I wish!

Tell us more Larry. Inquiring minds want to know!

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• LarryB
        • Dec 2001

Lex:

Tell us more Larry. Inquiring minds want to know!
        If you go to their site, you'll know everything I know.

Larry

P.S. I heard a rumor that Sf will scale back, or perhaps drop from their line, the Signum, as their cabinet maker is unable to meet the (anticipated) demands for both speakers.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I went to Sonus faber's website, and I couldn't find didly. Pretty site, but not to functional for the person wanting to gaze at their line. Maybe I missed it though-

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• LarryB
            • Dec 2001

Lex:

You have to use the Sumiko site:

Sumiko

Larry

Comment

• Markj
              • Aug 2000

The Sonus faber’s web site is a complete waste. I don’t get, why they put so much effort to make it look good then don’t supply any useful info. What a waste. :evil:

Thanks Larry for the Sumiko link. They event have prices, that great.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Yeah Mark, they got carried away with the "art" aspect, and forgot about actually presenting product! :roll:

Thanx for the link Larry. For sure, they are beautiful! Much more desirable than the more expensive Gaurni Hommage. Of course, that doesn't say how they perform. Neither would disappoint, I am sure.

Lex
                Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Nestled in that site along with the Sonus Fabers is my dream system - Vienna Acoustics Beethovens, Waltz's and a Maestro all in rosewood. Oh man.

dreaming a little here . . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• LarryB
                    • Dec 2001

David:

Have you ever heard Sonus faber speakers? In my opinion, they are far more musical than Vienna Acoustics.

Lex:

I'll audition the Cremona's as soon as my dealer gets a pair (and breaks them in, of course).
                    Larry

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Larry, yes I have. I've compared the Beethovens to the Grand Pianos straight up - same wire, same amplification, etc. Now I admit that the setup wasn't ideal as it was at a local Tweeters, and they had a Denon 5800 driving them. The SF's were extremely impressive with a warm, kind of a golden "feeling" to the music, whereas the VA's were just as impressive, but more on the detailed side. I'm a detail nut, so what can I say? Plus that redwood finish is to die for!

Now, if I ever arrive at the point I can drop $8,000 US on speakers (and survive the wrath of the spouse ), you can be sure that I'll be auditioning these two models again on some more up-scale amplification - possibly with different results.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Pairing the Grand Pianos with a receiver is like pairing Danny Devito with Rene Russo. They just don't go together. They just can't show what their made of. The GPs are very capable purveyers of detail in the 4K range.

I tell you this much. If I had 7500 bucks. I would purchase the Cremona's sight unseen with the confidence that they would be all one could expect-

Lex
                        Doug

Comment

• LarryB
                          • Dec 2001

Lex:

As I suspect that you are a big fan of the Amati Homages, I'd like your opinion on something. I too love the sound of them, and have often described the sweetnesss of their midrange to dripping honey (I stole that expression from someone else ). But here's the question: Is their sound at all neutral, or is the sweetness derived from an exaggerated midrange, and a somewhat inadequate bass? If the answer is "yes," do you care that they are not faithful to the music?

Larry

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Larry, I don't believe the sound is overly colored. Someone that is also into A/V listened to my speakers a while back, and was very impressed with the bass performance for the 2 way system. They went lower, and with more power than he thought they would. But as to the mids, I really prefer to say it's mid-range done right-

Many systems have problems with the mid-range, as it is the most difficult aspect of music to get right. So, if some say the mid-range is to strong, having to much presence. I say, that other speaker you are using as a point of reference has to little mid-range, and is not presenting the full audio spectrum efficiently, if at all.

1st order crossovers are known for their sweet mids, if done right. Although, they are the most difficult crossover to get right, according to what I have read.

Like honey dripping. Ahhh, I like that metaphor Or maybe the sweet escascy of morning dew on a new flower maybe?

I do think low end performance is closely tied to the amplifier feeding them. In my case, the HPA-2 at 250 watts, is ample power to bring out those lows. So, in short, I feel my GPs represent the entire audio spectrum about as well as a 2 way system is capable of.

Man, you got me wanting those Cremona bad. I hate you for that.

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• LarryB
                              • Dec 2001

Lex:

I hate you for that.
                              Nice to know I have enemies in other states, as well as my own.

Larry

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

lol Larry!

Lex
                                Doug

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"