X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Le Amps?

Jon what are your thoughts on the nOrh Le Amps? They're getting a lot of hype but then so are their speakers

• JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hi Andrew,

The Le Amps certainly a phenomena of sorts. They use an ST integrated DMOS audio amplifier module- which isn't necessarily bad; so does Rowland. There's been some controversy about their peformance, and measured characteristics versus listening. This isn't too dissimilar to the Stratos amplifier, as that goes, though their circuitry is quite different.

Both are amplifiers built to a tight price point, which with the right pairing (regarding speaker load) can, from all appearances, produce some very musical results. On the other hand, the areas where they cut costs *do* impair performance with lower impedance loads, and at low frequencies.

My take is that they could be a good pairing with a reasonably benign speaker, particularly for listening to more intimate styles of music in a small to moderate size room.

Subwoofer amp? Nope.

Amp for low impedance or "difficult" speakers? Nope.

Ultimate resolution? Not Ayre or Theta or Classe, or Aragon, but better than most recievers in the middle of the music, where 75% of it is. (they might be great in a biamp system paired with something with a meatier power supply for the bottom end).

For anyone considering *any* amplifier purchase, there's no substitute for hearing it in your own system.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks jon they aren't on my radar at all since I'm VERY happy with my new Musical Fidelity Dr.Thomas amp but given the hype I wondered what the real scoup was. I just wish I could find out a little more about my new amp...seems its very rare indeed. I contacted the distributor in Toronto and he claims only a handful were brought into north america and that according to the dealer I bought it from he claimed that he bought all that he could at the time so I think theres a good chance most of them ended up here in Winnipeg. Its nice to have such a rare beast but even better to hear it

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

You've got a nice unit there, Andrew, the Music Fidelity gear is well designed, and as their name implies, faithful to the music. They're one of the few other companies to use choke input power supplies in many of their models, like Cello and Ayre.

Happy listening.

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Jon I'm sending a letter off to Musical Fidelity in England to try and find out more about this beast. I'll let you know if I find anything out

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"