How do I setup my Dynaco speakers with my receiver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HereticPB
    • Jun 2001

How do I setup my Dynaco speakers with my receiver?

They are pretty old like 30 years but they still kick butt. I was wondering how would I set the equalizer settings in my receiver. The Speakers have one Tweeter and a woofer. They are 8 omhs and there is a switch with five settings with one of the settings labled normal. I believe this may be a crossover or something. The tweeter plays the high and mid-range while the woofer is the low end.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Heretic,
    Not knowing what your receiver is (filling in your profile with your components would help ), and assuming you're looking to hook the speakers up as your fronts (or even surrounds for that matter), simply hook them up to your 'front left' and 'front right' (or 'left rear' and 'right rear') speaker outputs on the receiver using speaker wire. The fact that they have a tweeter and woofer simply means they are 2-way speakers with a single crossover. If there is a crossover setting in your receiver, this ussually outputs the low frequencies below the cutoff frequency to a sub woofer which is normally wired separately.
    As far as eq settings in your receiver are concerned, you shouldn't have to adjust them just to hook the speakers up. The 8 ohm nominal impedance of the speakers should also work just fine without having to 'adjust' any parameters on your receiver.
    Hope this helps.

Q.
    Q.

Comment

• Crimson
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

After reading your post again, I now see the switch seems to be on your speakers. That being the case, start with the hookup described above, and the switch setting on normal to start with. You're probably right in that the switch might be adjusting the crossover, although not absolutely sure.

Q.
      Q.

Comment

• HereticPB
        • Jun 2001

I have found out that the switch/nob adjusts the tweeter. I still don't know what that does but anyhow.

Also I have updated my profile.

HtPB

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The switch is a high frequency "contour" control for the tweeter. Instead of a rotary knob they used resistors. The position of the switch controls how bright the tweeter is by selecting what value of resistor the tweeter signal goes through. Just chose the setting you like best.

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"