X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Northern Audio part deux...

this should be titled Northern Audio part trois...as we visited a few weeks back during a premiere showing of the new offerings from Rogue Audio by their marketing VP & a demo of Nordost cables from one of their senior marketing executives.

the Rogue equipment was nice with totally reasonable performance at the price.
    iow, a good value to my ear for brand new equipment at the msrp.

the Nordost demo (performed on the same Rogue system) was quite surprising to us all, too.
    but i will not address cables in this particulate post.

what we did hear on Saturday eve was the new VPI integrated
    sadly, the demo was limited to an assortment of Harbeth speakers.
    regardless of which pair we heard, the Harbeths just could not cut the mustard, with all musical selections coming out in plain, dull yellow.
    even voices, which are considered one of the Harbeth's greatest strengths, did not compare to any of our reference systems when playing V familiar cuts from our Mapleshade's CD Various Artists: Mapleshade's Music Festival (Sampler)

we did not get a chance to evaluate the VPI's phono pre, either, which was a grand disappointment to me, also.

from what we could tell the VPI is a strong entry in its class.
    a fairly sparse class with a nice feature-set that includes selectable triod & ultra linear output modes, a MM Phono Preamp, 3 sets of RCA inputs along with a tape loop, a tone control (for those who remember how to use one) & even a Headphone Amp.

i hope to hear this this unit again mated with speakers more to my personal preference along with some pure analog signal input, but Mark, the owner of NA, may not have it much longer based on the price & how it performed during this V limited demo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_1758541_zps5ziw1xtu.webp
Views:	59
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	939388
    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 14:42 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

i hope to hear this this unit again mated with speakers more to my personal preference along with some pure analog signal input, but Mark, the owner of NA, may not have it much longer based on the price & how it performed during this V limited demo.
    Maybe some input from an interested party might persuade him to tinker with his demo gear, to better highlight it?
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

it was a busy night, Mark was hosting 'Grand Opening' event with food, drink & a lot of foot traffic.
      on an ordinary visit we would have reconfigured the system our selves.
      just did not want to bother him when so many potential customers were about with interest in his wares.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"