X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Recent Audio Shop Visit...

The 'gang' & I went to a new shop over the weekend....
    (apologies for poor quality photos from my phone)

We listened to a $3200 'entry-level' Focal.
    Lots of bass, but not well balanced.
    No one cared much for the inverted dome tweeter.
    (the ones without speaker grills)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150124_123206_zps23684bbb.webp
Views:	50
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	942518

The Golden Ear speakers, all of them, were quite surprising.
    All of the hype & chatter I have seen is actually valid.
    These are excellent, value-heavy, speakers.

Name:	20150124_123235_zps4f271818.webp
Views:	53
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	942519

These KEF bookshelfs were V nice.
    Concentric woofer/tweeter made for clear, precise detail & imaging.
    The bass was surprising, not low, but clean & musical.

Name:	20150124_132245_zps8161d4cb.webp
Views:	54
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	942520

This was some German made belt-drive CD transport that the Mark, the owner had just got.
    He did not know much about it, least of all how to properly operate it or its name.

Name:	20150124_123408_zps83bd10ce.webp
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	942521

the Real hit of the day was the Devialet 200.
    All-in-one, Pre, Digital Amp, Phono-Pre, DAC.
    I have been impressed by everything I have read so far, & have been a bit of a 'fan-boy' even with never having heard one.
    I really like the philosophy & execution.
    After hearing this little puppy, I am now totally sold!

Name:	20150124_123414_zpsf86f74dc.webp
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	942522

I like the remote, too.

Name:	20150124_1428501_zpsf7cb8c3a.webp
Views:	54
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	942523
    Last edited by theSven; 24 June 2023, 19:22 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Gosh, I can't remember the last time I visited an audio shop... wait, no, that's not true, it was when I ordered my Berkeley Alpha DAC years ago (a very worthwhile endeavor at the time). Remember a visit before that? Nope. Only places I get out semi-regularly to hear gear are shows like CES, RMAF, etc.

Where I live in the East Bay of the SF bay area, the closest things to high end audio are the Magnolia HiFI in the local Best Buys, and one standalone in San Ramon. But driving to Berkeley or SF for a true high end dealer is such a hassle I just don't bother with it... then, too, even those shops won't have dCS or TotalDAC, and it would be awkward to bring my whole source setup with re-clocker and rubidium clock just to hear an amp or preamp (speakers? might be amusing, but as you might guess, I'm not really in the market for commercial speakers, though I enjoy hearing Wilson, Magico, Rockport, and others.

Where was this shop?
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Hi Jon!

We were visiting a local shop in Pittsburgh, Northern Audio.
      They were to have the latest $100K+ Magico's set up, however the room for them was behind schedule on the remodel & the demo has been postponed.
      We will be reporting on that event within a few weeks, however.

They still have lots of good stuff, though......

Hegal, Marantz, Bryston, Pass Labs, Sony ES & more, along with the others I noted above.

We like to take every chance to hear as much gear as possible including getting together with local enthusiasts, visiting shops within a few hours' drive & of course our favorite annual trek to D.C. for the Capital Audiofest.
      Over the years I believe we have been able to establish a fairly good benchmark for value & quality.
      Last edited by wkhanna; 28 January 2015, 18:42 Wednesday. Reason: insert missing text
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

It was a great time and got to hear some pretty cool things!!!!

The CDP was the BMC BDCD 1.1 - Belt driven transport (you know, to make it sound more analog... that's what we were told in the beginning until he found out we knew our stuff). Regardless the CDP sounded great feeding the Devialet 200.

I, like Bill, was blown away by the devialet. Enough so that it's really got me re-thinking my entire setup (well amp & preamp at least). Makes me want the 400 monoblock versions. It was by far the best sounding pre/amp piece of equipment I've heard to date. The depth that came from it, detail, precision and speed were all top notch and what I'm used to hearing more from $100K+ setups. And the fact that I was hearing this through the Golden Ears Triton 1s and a 'cheap' set of Focal towers. Made it all that more impressive and you got to figure out pretty quickly where to credit the abilities to. This was even without the SAM applied to the Devialet to match the speakers. But from what I hear it really just improves the low end mainly.

The Golden Ear speakers are really very impressive for their price point. The Triton 7s blew me away for what they cost (~$1400 or so, I can't remember). It's also the first Ribbon tweater I've heard that didn't sound bright or harsh to my ears. I do believe they are still a little bit bright for my overall taste... and that's coming from the Diamonds in the B&Ws... which I think are just about spot on for my tastes.

Anyways... I'm sold on Devialet. I need one now. ha ha.

I wish we had more places to go demo stuff. Unfortunately (or fortunately), for us, there's a BUNCH of audio stores in Ohio... which isn't far, but it's also... far. :/

The funny thing is we all have picked up on the same type of sound. When we first listened, we had the BMC -> Devialet -> Focal setup vs the Auralic -> Passlabs Integrated -> Golden Ear. The first was way too bright and the second was way to warm for our tastes. Once we put the BMC -> Devialet -> Golden Ears together everyone agreed that things came together! It just gave the right balance of sound.

Over all it was a fun trip and we can't wait to go back and get to demo the Magicos! Plus I want to see if I can get an in home demo of the Devialet!
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Philzeemon
          • Feb 2011

Bill...

Thanks for your invitation and having me on your field trip to Northern Audio. For me it was a rollback in time to the early 70's, when as a teenager I would hang out at "Tech HiFi" in the Allentown district at Buffalo NY...(checking out product well beyond my means)...but being welcomed none the less. It was good to make your acquaintance. Thanks again, Phil

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Hey Phil!

So glad we finally got to hook up!
            I will keep you posted on all of our group's activities & hope you become one of the 'regulars'.
            Your background & experiance make you a valuable asset to our little band of 'philes, there is much we can learn from you, I am sure.
            The fact that you are, in my estimation based on our too short visit, a 'music first' kind of guy is greatly appreciated.

We will all be getting together at my place in February, I will keep you posted on the date.

Be well,
            Bill
            Last edited by wkhanna; 01 February 2015, 09:17 Sunday.
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

I need to have a get together/speaker lifting party here soon too to get my speakers up on their plinths with the spikes in them!!!!

Hmmm wonder when I we should have that?!!?
              -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Michael is off work this coming weekend of the 7th & 8th.

I am absolutely sure he would come down to help levitate the 802's!
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  It was a great time and got to hear some pretty cool things!!!!

The CDP was the BMC BDCD 1.1 - Belt driven transport (you know, to make it sound more analog... that's what we were told in the beginning until he found out we knew our stuff). Regardless the CDP sounded great feeding the Devialet 200.

I, like Bill, was blown away by the devialet. Enough so that it's really got me re-thinking my entire setup (well amp & preamp at least). Makes me want the 400 monoblock versions. It was by far the best sounding pre/amp piece of equipment I've heard to date. The depth that came from it, detail, precision and speed were all top notch and what I'm used to hearing more from $100K+ setups. And the fact that I was hearing this through the Golden Ears Triton 1s and a 'cheap' set of Focal towers. Made it all that more impressive and you got to figure out pretty quickly where to credit the abilities to. This was even without the SAM applied to the Devialet to match the speakers. But from what I hear it really just improves the low end mainly.

The Golden Ear speakers are really very impressive for their price point. The Triton 7s blew me away for what they cost (~$1400 or so, I can't remember). It's also the first Ribbon tweater I've heard that didn't sound bright or harsh to my ears. I do believe they are still a little bit bright for my overall taste... and that's coming from the Diamonds in the B&Ws... which I think are just about spot on for my tastes.

Anyways... I'm sold on Devialet. I need one now. ha ha.

I wish we had more places to go demo stuff. Unfortunately (or fortunately), for us, there's a BUNCH of audio stores in Ohio... which isn't far, but it's also... far. :/

The funny thing is we all have picked up on the same type of sound. When we first listened, we had the BMC -> Devialet -> Focal setup vs the Auralic -> Passlabs Integrated -> Golden Ear. The first was way too bright and the second was way to warm for our tastes. Once we put the BMC -> Devialet -> Golden Ears together everyone agreed that things came together! It just gave the right balance of sound.

Over all it was a fun trip and we can't wait to go back and get to demo the Magicos! Plus I want to see if I can get an in home demo of the Devialet!

You guys are having just way too much fun! :W
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Jon, we all secretly wish you could join us in the fun!!!! And secretly wish we could join you in your fun when you're "testing out" your speaker designs!
                    -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I'm not sure that's much of a secret lol.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"