Finally got a tube amp, but it's only 1 channel... I guess you can deduce what for..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Finally got a tube amp, but it's only 1 channel... I guess you can deduce what for..

pictures coming. Yes, it's a guitar head and speaker cabinet. It rocks too. I'm not experienced enough for it, but if I ever get there, watchout Slash!

Being 1 channel is not exactly correct. It's 2 channel, but one is clean channel, and one is dirty lead channel. Sweet with foot pedal transition.

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

NICE !! . My dad played electric guitar and had one like that.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Sweet!
      Danish

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I love electric Dan. I will always keep an acoustic around too, but electric seems to do it for me.

Thanks Danish! I know you play some too, as I recall... I know you said you liked the Mustang II too.

I set my Mustang II under my kitchen table, so I can hook up while doing lesson videos. I could have traded it down to a little 69 buck job. But for what the II costs, it's worth it as a second amp. (My comfortable workstation is now at my kitchen "nook" table, which is a 5 ft round wood top table. I fill it with monitors and lights, and use it as a workstation. It works for me.) I got tired of computing at my desktop in the great room with my back to TV.

I know the big rig is well, more than I need right now. But I spied this head sitting at a local dealer. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted it if I could. So I told him I might decide to get it first of Oct. Heck, he already put it back for me before I even said definite, lol. He's a nice guy, and he's dealt with me pretty fairly. I got around a $350-400 discount off retail, and "new" retail from Paul reed Smith on their new amps is way higher than this unit. This unit is now obsolete. I couldn't find a matching PRS cabinet to go with it. I was going to go with a single 12" driver for now. But I came across the Marshall vertical stacked driver cabinet, and knew it was the right size for me and manageable without using a dolly for short carries, and the narrow width makes it easier to move around. I hauled behind passsenger seat in my Tacomah access cab space!!! The head is just a little large physically for the cabinet. Well, it looks large, and IS large, lol. But that sound is oh so SWEET! It can produce growl and minacing sound, or it can transduce beautifully articulate notes. Loving it. the neighbors, probably not so much, haha.

I think this thing could blow out a sheetrock wall Danish, if I dialed it above half volume. ROFL.

I think the photographic angle made the head look even bigger than it is. It doesn't seem quite that disproportiotate in person, I don't think.
        Doug

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

So what kind of an axe do you play, Lex? You know, we have a sort of secret thread over on Mission Possible about guitar playing gear head stuff, you're welcome to drop by any time... :W

Hi folks, Getting back into electric guitars after a long hiatus and thought I would build my own amp/speaker cabinet now that I have this other hobby to leverage. I may end up getting one of those iRig/Apogee Jam interfaces as a sort of "pre-amp" and then feed either a dedicated guitar amp or just one of my other

It's only about 10 page long, not quite up to the standards of our big build threads, but it covers a lot of ground.

A recent find for practice and quick recordings is a new item from Line6- the Sonic Port VX.

Create, record and perform with guitar in new ways.

Besides having a couple of decent mics built in, it works with the free Line6 modeling software on a Mac, PC, or iOS device, which means you can model almost any Fender amp, but also Marshall, VOX, HiWatt, and others, and the tone and dynamic response is surprisingly realistic for something that is purely software driven- it's the best of the modeling packages I've tried on an iPad. Did I mention free for the software?

I have two Line6 tube amps, too- an HD-100 and a DT-50, which also have modeling front ends built in, and a configurable power stage in the case of the DT50 (feedback structure, biasing, etc- can do true Fender style output stage, Marshall, VOX AC30, and others). Combine it with an outboard digital link front end like the POD HD Pro X rack mount, and there's not much of anything you can't do, no conventional pedal board required!

This bad boy does come with a bunch of useful built in presets (like the Eric Johnson violin like sound from Ah Via Musicom? It's in there) and can be tweaked and managed electronically via a Mac or PC. And it has a balanced mic input as well as normal guitar input- you can use it to fix up an acoustic sound, too.

Ok, I'm running amuck, my apologies... there's just so much cool stuff out there... anytime I hear someone say, "I'm bored", I just want to scream.... :W
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Lex
            ... Yes, it's a guitar head and speaker cabinet. It rocks too. I'm not experienced enough for it, but if I ever get there, watchout Slash! ...
            Fantastic stuff, Doug! That's what I call putting the "M" back into music!

Wishing you the very best of enjoyment as you eat up the lesson videos. :T:dudes::T

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Lesson video's definitely rule- it's amazing what you can find out there these days....
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Thanks Shadow! *memory not too long, I forget your name now... Sorry.

Jon, I added my Axes to the thread over there... lol. You know me, I tend to go big or go home. Oh, not real big, but relatively big, lol.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Gold and 3 PRS electric guitars, best PRS is S2 Starla. one SE245 Soapbar, and one SE Soapbar was a inexpensive used purchase. 1 Breedlove Passport Concert acoustic electric.

I found this page on the original PRS SE guitar. http://www.prsguitars.jp/sesoapbar/index.html Best I can tell, it's from 2004-2010 maybe. I think mine may have been made in 10. maybe. It may have been the 87th PRS Soapbar in 2010, maybe.

The S2 is the best of my PRS, but I love the sound of the Soapbar pickups in the SE guitars. All my guitars offer a little something different, so they are not just carbon copies.
                Doug

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your Breedlove acoustic Doug??
                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Sure Dan, I think she's a beauty for the 420 plus tax I paid. Plays pretty nice too. Will probably play nicer when I change strings. I am sure the standards on there are not the best. I bought a set for it already, that was recommended as being quiter during transitions up and down the neck. So, maybe they will be nice.

I will evaluate the photos I have and see if I need a new one... I'd like to take a few of it before it gets banged up, lol.
                    Doug

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

I actually have a Mustang I, but normally use a Twin Reverb. I would like a smaller amp, something that I can get to break up a little.

Jon - that Sonicport looks nice. I have an iRig and it is bad, never use it...
                      Danish

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

That Sonic port looks interesting Jon. I'm not sure I am on board with exactly what all capability it has, but I am curious.
                        Doug

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"