X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Digital guitar tracks by Lex

If anyone is interested in my progress as a guitarist, I have a jam track with me playing solo on my Google Drive account. I can send to you from google drive, so I don't really send you the file, but you should be able to open and listen. It's noto perfect, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

I was playing a lot by feel. I was so into it, I broke a pick, and didn't even know it until after I was finished. LOL.

It's a blues track, with me playing my Les Paul Slash model. I have a couple of other tracks to load later, but not tonight. They are on different guitars.

I recorded this analog, converted to digital in an 8 track tascam recorder converts to wave file, I then merge my audio track with the master inside Audacity, and then zip the file for attachment to Google Drive.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I WANNA HEAR IT !! What do you need from me to send it?
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Ok, I sent my tracks to Dan and Danish as requested

Doug
      Doug

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
        Ok, I sent my tracks to Dan and Danish as requested

Doug
        Very nice Doug! You ROCK !!

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Thanks Dan! I know it's not perfectly clean, but I don't have an editing team. It's one take and done. the pressure!!! LOL. That B minor number at over 6 minutes, that's a lot of play time.

I'm having a blast with it Dan. I don't seem to be at my best until I get in the moment and when the music starts, something clicks. It's crazy in a way. Of course, every day is not as good as every other day. Yesterday wasn't my day, so I just worked on random stuff, worked on the neck runs some, when everything else isn't clicking, work on something new.

That Blue Encore 200 mic does a good job on recording my guitar, doesn't it?

I'm still pretty much a beginner, well about 6 months experience.

Any advice, things you like, don't like, stuff to work on?
          Doug

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
            Thanks Dan! I know it's not perfectly clean, but I don't have an editing team. It's one take and done. the pressure!!! LOL. That B minor number at over 6 minutes, that's a lot of play time.

I'm having a blast with it Dan. I don't seem to be at my best until I get in the moment and when the music starts, something clicks. It's crazy in a way. Of course, every day is not as good as every other day. Yesterday wasn't my day, so I just worked on random stuff, worked on the neck runs some, when everything else isn't clicking, work on something new.

That Blue Encore 200 mic does a good job on recording my guitar, doesn't it?

I'm still pretty much a beginner, well about 6 months experience.

Any advice, things you like, don't like, stuff to work on?
            Playing guitar and singing is weird that way Doug. You've gotta' be in the mood.....or the 'zone' to play well. Even though I have the technical ability to play, if I can't feel it or feel good doing it.... and/or get in the mood, I put the guitar down and walk away till another day when that mood magic happens. In a way I feel bad for professional players that HAVE to play a gig whether they're in the mood or not. That must be tough. Even listening to music on my sound system is the same. My ears have to be ready and receptive to the enjoyment of listening. If not, it sounds like poop and I walk away. Mornings for both playing and listening seem to produce better results for me.

As for advice, let me listen to it a few more times and consult with my cousin, who is a very accomplished electric guitarist and I'll get back to you. For 6 months in, your doing VERY well buddy !

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

I got home tonight and had a listen - very cool!
              Danish

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Thank you Dan. I know I have lots of work to do, but that does not intimidate me, nor does the fact I know I will never be fast as lightning. I'd rather work on techniques that give me a unique character about my play, and add real creative style. That takes time, and a certain degree of natural talent. Maybe I have that, maybe I don't. but I've got a start, and after all, it's for fun right now anyway. no gigging planned, lol. But I do enjoy recording, and have a thought of doing my complete own tracks with me on drums, guitar, bass, etc... that's out there a bit.
                Doug

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Hi Doug,

I spun the tracks again with my cousin, who's more of an electric player than me and we both agreed that you are doing phenomenally good for a player of 6 months. He suggested that you work towards using more of the fret board in your 'leads' and that some of your string 'bends' are a little off. But seriously, your playing great. As I always tell my students, there is NO fast track to playing guitar well.......ya have to do the time......and it looks to me that you are doing just that!

You should check out some on line lessons that Mike Rud is posting on Facebook and on Youtube. Also, my cousin Lyle Robertson has some good on line lessons as well for Electric players. Enjoy! Keep on pickin' !!

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

I find recording fun also although I haven't had time to really practice with backing tracks, etc. I only have Garage Band and whatever came with the Mustang amp, Ableton Lite or something...but they work OK. I need to get a better USB/MIDI interface also.
                    Danish

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

That seems well critiqued to me Dan, and fair too. Thank you for some input! The only way to get better is to get input, and practice. Of course, practice is most important. My local shop buddy told me to try my Strat and use more of the upper frets. A Les Paul was never the most friendly guitar at the top of the register, IMO, a double cut away is more friendly, like a Strat, or SG. I've been working on upper fret work more this week offline. I know I need to use more of the neck, and I am trying to extend that too. Agreed. I need to know my notes in my keys better to use more of the neck. I think the mid-area of guitar is where I work most because it's where I first learned my pentatonic blues scale, lol.

Thank you Dan. I will look up those two guys stuff.

Danish, the tracks I am using came with a course I purchased online from Nate Savage. It's called GuitarSystem.com He's a real nice guy, and a good instructor too. His course came with some jam tracks to use, and that is what I am using right now. I get them into wav format from MP3 using transfer software, then upload them via SB card to my Tascam 8 track recorder as a single track of my 8 tracks. I use a Blue Encore 200 mic to mic my amp, and feed that into my Tascam recorder. I use headphones with noise cancelling feature to equalize the volume of my track relative to the mixed track.

Then I can add up to 7 lead tracks, download them all, or a few, whatever by exporting them to SD, then I simply plug the SD card into my PC, and grab the tracks. I then use Audacity (free download) to merge my lead tracks with the backing track again. That way I can merge different tracks, mute and unmute, etc... Since I don't use Apple, garage band to me means a band out in the garage practicing. haha.

I also have wireless headphones now for playback, so I pop those onto my Tascam when not recording, so I can be free to roam around the house and do whatever while replaying my track with jamtrack.

Really, not only has playing been a learning event, but recording and mixing has been a whole nuther project as Sound Engineer/Producer/Editor/Author! LOL.
                      Doug

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

What noise cancelling 'phones do you use?
                        Danish

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Hey Danish. I found a set at Radio Shack that work pretty well for me. They are actually pretty high quality. I wish the ear muffs were a little larger than they are, but they are ok. They are Audio Technica. Retail in the store is 199.00 But they had them on their web site for about 107 or 111. Big difference in price. Both sets I got came from Shack, because I didn't want to put 400.00 in phones or whatever. I had a pair of old Seinheiser that were noise suppression, but they seemed to be creating quite a bit of interference. So, i took them back to the office and use them at work for listening. The thin leather is pulling off of them. bummer as much as they cost. They were designed to be airplane phones.

The audio technicas have 1 switch on one of them to turn on noise suppression, or cancelling, whatever you call it. http://www.radioshack.com/audio-tech...phones&start=1

This is the 8 track recorder I have: Tascam:

Shop for the TASCAM DP-03SD 8-Channel Portastudio in and receive free shipping and guaranteed lowest price.

I use a Blue Encore 200 microphone. Better dynamic range than the Seinheiser instrument mic.
                          Doug

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

One thing that gets me is how many beautiful guitars you have Doug! How do you decide which one to play on any given day !!?? With that many instruments, I'd be paralyzed by the choice !

I have two acoustics. One is a 6 string Grand Auditorium cutaway, and the other is a jumbo 12 string. Both have vastly different sounds so the choice of which to play is pretty easy for me depending on the song I'm going to play.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Is the game Rocksmith worth it?
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

Thanks Dan. I'll pick up and put down a few over the course of an evening. I enjoy changing it up.

Chris, I am not familiar with that. I have heard of it, but I haven't investigated it or tried it. Maybe Danish or Dan know something about it, or our friend Jon in DIY. Jon knows something about most things guitar or amplifier wise or well most things electronic!

Opinions are widely varied at myLesPaul forum about Rocksmith... 47 pages of comments and stuff. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/guit...th-2014-a.html
                                Doug

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

I am not ready for primetime yet with my latest work, but I am truly making some headway on things. It's not clean, but it's got potential. Well, I am excited anyway, that is all...
                                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"