X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

JBL LSR305 two way active monitor!

I just bought these small powered JBL speakers for our upstairs TV system. Many people raving about their high frequency performance and overall sound quality in general. Apparently the waveguide used really helps with imaging and high frequency performance. They get great reviews on Amazon and other pro music sites, as well as a review in USA today! I haven't seen a serious audio mag review them yet but for what they cost me $127.00 ea plus $34.00 total shipping I don't see how I could go wrong. They have HF and LF adjustment (very important in our TV system) and play down to 43Hz. So hope to be a happy customer!

I'll keep ya update on how these workout and give sonic impressions once broken in.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Here's a picture of the speaker -

Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	859112
    John unk:

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

They're nice looking speakers! For that money they just have to make some kind of noise in response to a signal to be worth it! If they're anywhere near the reviews , that constitutes a bona fide bargain. Nice!
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Hi Lee, Yep, from the reviews they do seem to be a very good bargain. Here's a review I found on CNET by Steve Guttenberg.

http://www.cnet.com/news/jbl-lsr305-resetting-sound-expectations-for-desktop-speakers/

Well, they are not perfect but do a lot of things well, and the soft noise he mentions could be an issue for me. I hope mine are quiet! I won't be using these as near field monitors so I may not hear the noise ...
        John unk:

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

That's a nice review! I wonder if his "soft noise" issue was due to power or source issues rather than speaker issues ? I wouldn't have thought Class D amplifiers would have that situation. I thought they were essentially "off" lacking a signal ? Either way , he did say it was inaudible while music was actually playing , so I'm looking forward to your take on them. Now I hate waiting for them to arrive almost as much as you probably do!
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Oh, yeah, I am anxious to hear them but will break them in continously for few days before listening at all. You're right there could be any number of reasons for the noise, even ground loop or something else. I've only heard it mentioned one other time in a customer speaker review so hopefully it's not an issue! They should be here sometime this week ... I'll post when I get them.
            John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

The speakers came a couple days ago and I've got them set up and breaking in. The noise I was worried is pretty non-existent just a little his when you put your ear right up to the tweeter. Otherwise it's not audible. No listening impressions yet but I'll post a pick I took once I get back to my computer. Can't post pictures from my iPhone.

John
              John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2007

Here they are set up in our upstairs TV system. Not the best pic and not sure what happened, just bad lighting I guess. Anyway, it's not fair to comment on the sound yet till they get a decent break in. So, got 'em playing music tonight on repeat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jbl305.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	859125
                John unk:

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I've been trying to expire from some godforsaken illness since Monday , but I couldn't hold out any longer. How's the break in coming along ? They look better than most speakers with waveguides , IMO. For some reason manufacturers seem to make them all look like Peavey PA boxes when the grills are off. At least these look like they were meant to be seen in someone's home instead of a high school gym.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2007

Lee, that's too bad about your illness ... Hope you recover well!

They've been breaking in at night, but forgot a couple of nights. They really do some nice things. Good imaging, very dynamic and very good bass for such a small speaker. I agree, they are nice looking for a horn a speaker especially for the cost. I'll comment more after some more break in. You take care!
                    John unk:

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Nice stands , BTW. I've heard a few Klipsch horn speakers , and their bookshelf models struck me as a bit harsh. Are the JBLs considered a true horn type speaker , or does the description cover waveguide speakers in general?
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

I've never been impressed with Horn tweeters.......except in industrial applications, bands and DJ's.
                        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Johnloudb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2007

Well, I think this is more of a wave guide than a horn, I think, and that' what they call it. The highs are really nice, open and detailed. The speaker does image very well from what I can tell. Even with the large TV screen between the speakers, which can destroy imaging. There is some edginess and brightness about the sound that bothers me. I'm not ready to cast blame on the speaker though because I'm using the headphone output on our older Benchmark DAC which I'm found to sound that way with headphones. My dad loves the speakers and though he does notice a slight edginess he's not bothered by it. The bass is excellent for such a small speaker.

I found that using my Sansa Clip MP3 player the sound was significantly softer warmer and more musical to me, so not near as detailed, which is to be expected from MP3 and a cheap little player.

I know this is a crappy review, but will have to do till I do some listening with a better source. Let me see if the variable analog output switch works on the benchmark, I remember it not working when I tried it before. hopefully that bypasses the headphone output, but still need an adapter to hook up the RCA output to a mini plug connector. I'll see what I can do ... more to come!

John
                          John unk:

Comment

• Face
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                            I've never been impressed with Horn tweeters.......except in industrial applications, bands and DJ's.
                            That's like saying that you don't like dome tweeters.

Just like how all domes don't sound the same, not all horns sound the same.
                            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

I haven't usually found the horn speakers I've heard to my taste either , but I haven't heard them all , so... I heard a pair of La Scalas several years ago and thought they sounded good. They were in a huge room , driven by tubes , and the soundstage was huge and very 3D. Of course , I bought Paradigms instead so I wasn't that impressed. I just couldn't see trying to make them work in the smallish rooms I envisioned them living in if I owned them.
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Any more progress breaking in the new speakers ? I've been following the Kleo thread , so I know you have had your hands full lately ! I was curious if some of the edginess you mentioned had settled down with more time on them.
                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                Schiit Modi 3
                                Marantz CD5005
                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2007

Hi Lee, sorry for the late reply. no I haven't messed with them much. Yep, I'm pretty preoccupied right now, starting a photography class tonight and still trying to get things set up with EE department at school with getting started in the program again. Kind of hard transferring credits from 17 years ago, when they were in the quarter system, not semester. But should have that taken care of in a week.

But, I haven't forgotten about it. Will get adapters soon and seen if I can use the preamp output on the back of the Benchmark, to drive the speakers.
                                  John unk:

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Face
                                    That's like saying that you don't like dome tweeters.

Just like how all domes don't sound the same, not all horns sound the same.
                                    I agree Face. I've only heard Klipish horns (And DJ horns.....EV's etc) and found them too hard on the ears.
                                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2007

My dad commented on much he liked these junk monitors and listens to the several times a week while eating or reading upstairs. He's keeps saying how neutral sounding they are what a bargain they are. So, I think they probably are though I haven't listened critically for some time. I'll have to make my own adapter for the benchmark RCA variable outputs, but may be awhile ... So just what to say my Dad loves 'em, so that's his review. I don 'to want to critically listen till I have the adapter in place.

Ha ha ... I love it ... That's supposed to be JBL monitors (not junk) got to love the iPhone autocorrect! Lol
                                      John unk:

Comment

• Alaric
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Autocorrect has turned some dull conversations into fun for the whole family at times LOL. I'm glad to hear somebody is enjoying the new speakers! I've been waiting patiently , with considerable help from getting my gear back after a couple long years away from it . Just last week a kind soul hooked me up with some very nice cabling to replace the awful junk I was trying to make do with. Even 95 watts wants more than 24 gauge speaker thread from the auto section of WallyWorld!
                                        Sounds like you may lose those JBLs if you leave them with your Dad too much more! Don't you just love sharing a new audio find with someone who appreciates it as much as you do ? When my daughter was 9 , she handed me the Beatles White Album and asked "Can you play this next?". I asked her which track and she shoved the album (both platters) back in my face and insisted "This one !". We sat through all four sides that afternoon. The memory still makes me a little sniffly.
                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                        Marantz CD5005
                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2007

Lee, that is a sweet story ... Good memory to hold on to! Sounds like your daughter has an appreciation for music.

Well, these speakers are my dad's find and purchase actually. Still not out on my own due this wonderfully health challenge I've had to face but getting closer. Starting school again in the Fall to finish my degree in EE ... just have my senior year to complete but will take two at least years since I'll be taking things slower, at least at first.

I should give these speakers a serious listen again soon, and see what's up. Maybe tonight.

Glad your getting your gear back! Two years that would be hard.
                                          John unk:

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"