X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finleyville
    • Sep 2006

Rec needed for bright sounding amp...

Anyway...

I recently completed a set of DIY speakers (thread HERE) that, for the first time, I feel need separate amplification. They are still over a friend's house being broken in and fed some Rotel goodness. From experimentation it seems that these are somewhat inefficient and LOVE moar power. I would say 100W would be the are minimum. I understand (not heard by me) that they loved a modified Rotel RB1090 pushing 384W.

The last time I heard them they needed to be broken in. But it was apparent that they needed some upper end sparkle help. Hopefully, the break in period will help this. However, I still think a brighter sounding amp will help in this regard. So.....no tube amp recommendations this time. lol

So, if you had $500 what would you buy (used is fine by me) for this setup? I didn't really want to go higher but will entertain "must have" recommendations up to $700.

I was thinking about Rotel, Emotiva, Carver, Adcom, etc. What do you all think?
    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Everyone says the NAD amps are on the brighter side? I've heard the same for Yamaha as well but not sure they have a lot of amps? There was a integrated amp they had a while back that got some great reviews. You've heard several of the Emotiva amps I've had though and they are certainly very good but not sure if they are really on the bright side or not?

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

I would not consider NAD bright. Emotiva is probably the brightest listed above.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I never found Emotiva to be bright either.....

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"