X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 review

Several guys in the office have had these headphones for a while, and I've noticed how they've spread like a virus. As of now we have seven people in the office w/these. Well I was getting tired of my old Plantronics gamer headphones and since I use my headphones for probably 3-4 hrs a day, I decided it was time to get infected. I don't know a whole lot about headphones but wow, I'm hearing so many things in the music I listen to that I've never heard before. Also they have a coiled cable which I'm loving so far. I used to run over my other headphones cable with my chair all the time, this one sits nicely in place.

List price is $160, but I managed to find an open box for $110 with free shipping. When I received it, it was barely even opened (cord was still wrapped up in plastic, I don't believe they'd ever been listened to even). Seems like a pretty great deal for such great sounding headphones. I'll add more as I listen to them more.

I'd love to get a headphone amp of some sort later down the road, so long as it would make some major difference. 99% of the music I listen to is streaming, such as Google Music (which streams at 256Kbps I believe). Any recommendations along those lines would be appreciated.

The standard black version

The awesome "Texas Tech" edition I found (and had to have)
    -Chuck
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool, Chuck. I'm actually getting custom ear molds made in about an hour from now for my Etymotic earphones. I figured after all this time, it's time for me to take my earphones to even the next higher level.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by impala454
      Any recommendations along those lines would be appreciated.
      For not a schitt load of $......

Magni amp

Modi DAC
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Oh, and I meant to mention, Chuck, that I'm on a mini-kick to improve my portable audio experience. Found some good reviews of this amp and the others this guy makes: http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/hornet I think I'll end up buying one. Seems he like planes, too.

That ear mold process was interesting. I'm going to post a thread about it when the final product comes in.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I can honestly tell you that your headphone listening experience will improve with a good headphone amp. I bought the JDS Labs O2 amp out of necessity because my Rotel amp does not have a headphone jack. Once I fired it up, I found the overall headphone sound presentation improved quite a bit.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Awesome, thanks all for the suggestions. Nice to have some "good" headphones now. I listen about 3-4 hrs a day at least while at work!
            -Chuck

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"