X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveThreshold
    • May 2013

My Ultradrive Crossover Fried

So I just walked back in to the front room to adjust the volume on my Marantz, and go back in to the kitchen, and I hear the most terrible sound that I have ever heard in audio. The closest thing I can use to compare it to is a CHAINSAW. I stopped short of panicking, and turned off my three power amps, (tri-amping my front two DIY speakers.) I was sure that it was the Marantz, Pre-Pro, but it turned out to be the Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrivecrossover. I unplugged the two inputs that went in to it, left the amps off, and turned it on again. ALL of the LED’s are peaking for no apparent reason, with no input.

I have heard about problems with the reliability of this unit, and now I see why. If I was not at home, it might have fried ALL of my front speakers.

I have LOVED this unit because it is so incredibly flexible. You could cross a tweeter to a '55 Chevy bumper with this thing. NOW, if I have to buy a new one, I do not think that I can ever TRUST IT again. (leaving the house with the gear on for instance.)

If anybody has any idea what might have happened, or had a similar experience, I am open for suggestions.

This has prompted me to come up with new speaker designs, (that is how I found this forum) which I will ask about later. I am having trouble getting on the
    Behringer forum.
  • JeremyG
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DaveThreshold
    So I just walked back in to the front room to adjust the volume on my Marantz, and go back in to the kitchen, and I hear the most terrible sound that I have ever heard in audio. The closest thing I can use to compare it to is a CHAINSAW. I stopped short of panicking, and turned off my three power amps, (tri-amping my front two DIY speakers.) I was sure that it was the Marantz, Pre-Pro, but it turned out to be the Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrivecrossover. I unplugged the two inputs that went in to it, left the amps off, and turned it on again. ALL of the LED’s are peaking for no apparent reason, with no input.

I have heard about problems with the reliability of this unit, and now I see why. If I was not at home, it might have fried ALL of my front speakers.

I have LOVED this unit because it is so incredibly flexible. You could cross a tweeter to a '55 Chevy bumper with this thing. NOW, if I have to buy a new one, I do not think that I can ever TRUST IT again. (leaving the house with the gear on for instance.)

If anybody has any idea what might have happened, or had a similar experience, I am open for suggestions.

This has prompted me to come up with new speaker designs, (that is how I found this forum) which I will ask about later. I am having trouble getting on the
    Behringer forum.
    I've had a potentially similar problem with my DSP1124P BFD. About once every couple of years I come home to find that all the lights on it are lit. A simple pull of the plug to power cycle it has consistantly fixed the issue. Since I never leave my amplifiers on while away, it has never been an issue. Did you power cycle the thing, and if so, what was the outcome?

Comment

• DaveThreshold
      • May 2013

Thanks for answering Jeremy. Yes, I had it unplugged and it still does it. Before I go for the whole unit reset, I have to take pics of all the settings, so that I can restore them or put them on a new unit.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"