X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

Classe Amplifier fried CA 401

Does anyone know if you can send a older Classe CA 401 amplifier in for service? My dad states he turned on the amplifier this morning and it made a pop sound than smelled like burnt electronics. I haven't seen it yet so don't know the extent of the damage. I was hoping he could just drop it off at any Classe dealer to have them repair it. Does anyone know what the cost would be? We are a little disappointed in the longevity of this $7k amplifier!
    dan87951
    audio guru
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

Correction this is for a CA 301 amplifier.
    dan87951
    audio guru

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I sent my CAV150 to Classe a couple of years ago and it was returned looking and operating like new. They have parts for their legacy units.

I forget the cost of the service but I felt it was reasonable at the time.

Comment

• dan87951
        • Nov 2005

I read your post regarding your experience. Didn't your unit get damaged?
        dan87951
        audio guru

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dan87951
          I read your post regarding your experience. Didn't your unit get damaged?
          Yes, the unit was shipped back from Classe to the dealer and it was damaged in transit. The dealer never checked the box which was noticeably damaged. I didn't see it until I returned home because they put it in my trunk while I was still in the store (in the name of service!).

One handle on the amp was badly bent and the rear of the unit had severe damage. Classe had me ship it back to them directly, and when they returned it the amp looked like new. I also seem to remember that they had to remanufacture the rear of the unit.

IMO, Classe should have packed the box more securely before they shipped it back to the dealer. The dealer was just flat out deceitful to try and hide the damage since they failed to check the noticeably crushed box when it was delivered back to their store.

The newer Classe units are packaged extremely securely. I'm not sure about how your OEM packaging is, but I had filled the box with shipping peanuts and sealed it before I dropped it off to the dealer to ship to Classe. IMO, Classe should have also used additional packing like I did, and if they had, there would have been no damage. Their legacy packaging has much to be desired, especially for heavy amps.

My amp is now actually better for the wear!

Comment

• Sharp 1080
            • Dec 2009

beden1, That was not cool at all at how the dealer handled it. I know my SSP-800 came packed very well from Classe. I have had good success in the past when shipping heavy amps in the original box within a larger box with packing material around it which protected it. Good to hear it was all taken care of.

Comment

• dan87951
              • Nov 2005

I don't have the packaging for the amp any longer. Is it possible to order the shipping boxes still for discontinued products?
              dan87951
              audio guru

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"