X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoopalini
    • Aug 2000

Servicing Amplifiers?

I've noticed lately one of my amplifiers seem to have some strange issues going on. The audio seems to be scratchy when at low levels, but if I turn the receiver volume up very high, then back down, the audio cleans up.

The amp which seems to have the problem is a Mitsubishi DA-A110 which is running my mains(NHT Superones) and the issue typically pops up on either the right or the left speaker only.

I also have a Carver A-400x and an Adcom GFA-545, so wondering if it's worth getting all 3 of them calibrated professionally.

I have the service manuals for the amps, and looked into the service procedure for calibration, but I don't have the proper equipment to do it myself.

So, is it worth getting them calibrated, and if so, how can I locate a reputable company to do the calibration?

Thanks guys,
    Thomas.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Give Tom a call at Vintage HiFi of Pittsbugh. He will be more than happy to give you advise, & is V familiar with the equipment you have.

Tell him Bill with the modified C-19 sent you.
    Note the non-traditional shop hours at the bottom of the page I linked.

JMHO, 'freshening up' older amps can be a V worthwhile & economical option.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Certainly freshening up old amps can improve them a lot, things like capacitors and what not don't last for ever and can degrade over time, not to mention newer capacitors for audio have tighter tolerances and so on. They should also be able to check and adjust the bias and what not which can slowly get out of whack over time as well.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Sounds like a contact issue in the volume control to me. That's assuming it uses a resistor based volume control.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          Sounds like a contact issue in the volume control to me. That's assuming it uses a resistor based volume control.

Yep...agreed. I don't think it's a super big issue. Dirty parts on the inside. Unplug, pop the lid and spray the speaker terminals and volume control knob. Leave it alone and unplugged for the night however. Compressed air works well too but I think the volume will need both.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Stoopalini
            • Aug 2000

Thanks for the replies guys.

These amps don't have volume controls/knobs, do you mean the gain pots? I did mess with the gain controls a bit in the past, maybe i just need to take some time and really clean them out.

When I 1st hooked the Mitsubishi up, I couldn't believe the sound these NHTs put out; especially listening to music! One of the best things I've done is get away from the receiver amps ...

Thomas.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

perhaps what Dan and Jon meant was, it could still be on the pre-amp side volume, the amp just plays what is in the audio chain, and if pops are there, it plays them of course.
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"