X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I'd like some input (no pun intended)

Input on whether we have a basis for a separate analog audio section.

I've had a request for it. I personally don't see the problem in Audio Hideout section, as I thought this was intended, combining analog and solid state. however, if you guys really think we are missing the mark, this is your chance to respond. Will you contribute? Who's in for it?

I'm open to INPUT now, this is your chance. We do not take the definition of new sections lightly, so there will need to be some real response here.

Analog and Vinyl section
    digital/multiprocessor based audio (2 channel, multichannel, CD/DVD audio)

thank you.
    Doug
    Audio Hideout is fine as is
    61.54%
    Go with new breakdown for analog and vinyl, and digital sections is desired.
    38.46%

The poll is expired.

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

As much a fan of vinyl as I am , it would seem like more work for Kevin , Lex and the mods for what appears to be minimal traffic. There have been a few new members dusting off Dad's TT lately , but I don't think enough of a showing to indicate a trend. I'll hold off voting in case enough people want it to change my mind , though.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'd think at most a sticky thread at the top would cover it until/if there was enough interest to warrant one. Even then a subsection would probably work.
      Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

I'll be happy to set up an analog section. But before I do, someone has to buy me a turntable and a stack of vinyl to play on it, so I'll be able to participate. High end, not cheap Best Buy stuff. :B

Seriously, either way works for me, but with the light amount of traffic this area sees, there probably isn't much point.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I'll donate my $.80 to Kev's TT fund. Just $39,999.20 to go for his Rockport Sirius. Now for the MoFi catalog.....
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I offered my services as an associate moderator for an analog category to Doug a while back.

The offer still stands.

But it seems even two of our biggest Black Pie fans have already nixed the idea.

It is possible that a dedicated category might actually drive some increase in activity, though.

As always, JMHO.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
              It is possible that a dedicated category might actually drive some increase in activity, though.
              I agree ... I think that's a good possibility. So I'm voting for the addition of an all analog section. I plan on jumping deeper into vinyl in the near future also.
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Nada!!!.......Not nesessary. The voting polls are agreeing with me too.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                  The voting polls are agreeing with me too.
                  With a total of 8 people reporting. Poll doesn't close till Jan. 03
                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                    With a total of 8 people reporting. Poll doesn't close till Jan. 03

True!!. Statistics are weird that way. :lol:
                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• JeremyG
                      • Sep 2008

Is there somewhere I can vote to put money and time into JonMarsh's life so he can keep posting about DAC's and SACD's and such? I think he's the in absentia digital category!!!

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

A dedicated analog forum is perhaps not entirely necessary, but then why not? It would clarify the audience, and perhaps generate more interest and traffic. I say "go for it!".
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Finally Mike, that's what I said, why not, it's not like we are creating forums all the time, our mix has been quite stable for a long time. I finally thought maybe a sub forum was the best idea, if you want Audio, it's all in one wrapper now, just a split personality. I think it's perfect for now!

Good one Jeremy, I agree, he's quite an asset to the Guide here, when he has time to pop in, we are always lucky. :-)

Doug
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aarsoe
                            • May 2004

As the requester I actually think a dedicated area for vinyl rigs will increase traffic in this area. Right now the individual threads about anything related to vinyl are buried in a lot of other topics. So unless you follow the forum closely you may even think that no one is interested in vinyl at all and with the increased interest in vinyl I find that hard to believe.
                            To put it into perspective the major music stores locally are starting to sell vinyl again. No way they would do so unless the interest was not commercially real and viable..

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"