• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Inventor of the CD passes

Yahoo article

From the Article "....Ohga recognized the potential of the CD's superior sound quality...."

With all due respect, my ears have yet to be convinced.

Regardless, RIP Mr. Ohga.

Having the sensibility to insist the format be able to accommodate Beethoven's 9th always endeared me to him.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"With all due respect, my ears have yet to be convinced

Regardless, RIP Mr. Ohga."

What exactly are you referring to in regards to your ears not being convinced?. CD vs Vinyl....SACD...DVD audio....????.

What audio format do you conceder to be the best ???.

Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Thanks for the info Bill. Sad news. Of course, the sound quality of CD in comparison to the LP is a matter opinion. I prefer the LP, but still the CD was a step up for many with poor LP playback, and offered convenience that the LP couldn't match.

R.I.P. Mr. Ohga!

I'd just like to add that Dr. Thomas Stockham is credited as being the father of digital audio. He demonstrated the first commercial digital recording on tape. He was my first systems professor at the University of Utah, a very nice man. Unfortunately he was suffering from the effects of Alzheimer's and shortly after class began he had to quit teaching.

John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by madmac

What audio format do you conceder to be the best ???.

The one that sounds most like the live music I hear when I go to small intimate Jazz clubs or the great halls that resonate with the Classical. :W
        Last edited by wkhanna; 23 April 2011, 23:46 Saturday.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

The problem was and still is the 16/44.1Khz. Had (at the time) they been able to create the media to hold more information...something that could do 24/96KHz and they kept the mastering techniques from Vinyl... Vinyl would be dead right now... or very close to it.

The problem is the resolution, 16bit 44.1Khz is just not enough information!!! :rofl:

Don't get me wrong, Vinyl is cool, but it's also a lot of work too getting things just right...so that's where the better resolution would've helped...

...oh and of course if they didn't BRICKWALL all the CDs... that'd help to. Compress the sound till it doesn't sound like what it is!!! YEAH! :rofl:
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"