X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Industrial
    • Mar 2009

JJ tubes.

I have a Xindak LP-1 phonostage. Sounds much better then what most people would think. But now I want to try rolling tubes. Anyone here use JJ tubes? I have easy access to them I need 2 12AU7 and 2 12AX7. Changing which ones will change the sound/tone the most? I just want to warm up the sound just a tad. Its connected to a Rega P7 using a Micro Benz silver.
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

I've used JJ 6922 tubes and was very happy with them in my Counterpoint hybrid amp. Smooth sounding. They lasted two years, on all the time.

I also had some electro-harmonix 6922 and was not very pleased. I think got some bad ones and they started popping and sounded distorted in no time. I'm staying away from them now.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Hi John,
      I read your article on Hearing beliefs and blind testing and enjoyed it. I too suffer from Tinnitus and have somehow been able to ignore it on the whole. My ears just magically started ringing at work one day and it has never stopped since. It was shortly after having a flu shot and I suspected that was the 'trigger'. As a matter of fact, every time I am about to get sick with a cold or flu, the tinnitus gets remarkably worse and louder!.

In your case, It looks like there were some major psychological issues at hand that caused you to have a very violent issue with the condition. I, at first did not like it but I have come to live with it and largely ignore it (We live in a loud World which helps!!). I too listen to a lot of music at pretty good volumes but it never hurts me to listen. I cannot now however, go into a bar and listen to a screechingly loud bar band blowing my ears out. I cannot do that kind of loud anymore and don't care because I never liked it anyway. I did do it when I was young and could tolerate it, but NOT anymore!. If I am about to go into a loud situation, I always bring cotton to put in my ears to control the volume.

I believe the better the sound system and it's adjustment/ setup is, the louder you can play it without auditory pain.

The cable thing is interesting but I have to disagree that there is 'cable break in'. I have changed cables and have heard differences (Especially in bass) but the cable, if anything gets worse over time and not better (10yrs+). I have had cable failures after more than 10yrs causing humming in the system because the internal fibers or end connections have simply begun to fail.

I wish you all the luck in your plight. With Tinnitus, you really have 2 choices. One is to learn to live with it and learn to ignore it (Which is a learned ability), and the other is to go simply insane. We humans have good survival abilities and in my case, insanity was not an option!!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Industrial
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by madmac

You really have 2 choices. One is to learn to live with it and learn to ignore it (Which is a learned ability), and the other is to go simply insane. We humans have good survival abilities and in my case, insanity was not an option!!.
        So your saying I should get the

ECC803 S Gold Pin - 12AX7

ECC802 w Gold Pin -12AU7

?

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Hi madmac, I'll reply to your post in my discussion thread below, where it's on topic:

John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• singlemalt18
            • May 2012

singlemalt18

hello Industrial
            Still having fun with your Xindak phono stage?
            Thinking of getting one myself and wanted to know if you
            have had any issues with it. Did you manage to replace the
            tubes and if so, which did you use.
            Unfortunately, these are not represented in Canada anymore,
            and they seem to be under-rated.
            Your thoughts

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"