X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JetFlyGuy
    • Jan 2005

Tinnitus Anyone?

Hey guys,
    I was wondering how many (if any) people in this forum experience ringing in their ears. I am 27, and have had mild Tinnitus (ringing in the ear) for the past three years. It has really never been a bother to me until about 2 weeks ago, when the volume of the ringing suddenly became much louder. It is very uncomfortable, and bothers me daily. Just curious about the prominence of this condition among people like myself, who have an interest in quality audio. I am hoping I will eventually get used to the ringing. Thanks, Josh.
  • autio
    • Mar 2005

I read about this with interest but with the internet iti s hard to seperate fact from fiction . http://announce.curtin.edu.au/release2004/c6904.html

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

I have buzzing in my ears, but it comes with stress. I only notice it at night when I go to sleep. I have a little "rain" machine thats very calming and helps me sleep. Mine is not ringing but a low buzz. Tinnitus can be physical or mental. When I am not stressed I don't have it and, when I am really at my limit, its there. If you have it for 3 years, you've probably seen doctors I assume. Anyhow I hope this helps.

Comment

• Ash
        • Dec 2004

Josh,

I expereinced alot of problems with the my right ear. It started with my nose wit sinus problems. My nose is always blocked, so I blow my nose alot, which seems effected the hearing in my ear, sometimes I expereince loud ringing in my ear. I also notice that the level of hearing in my right ear is different than my left ear. Furthermore, my right ear became a bit sensitive to loud volumes. I'm going to have an operation some time in the next month.

The whole thing just sucks, I mean after spending so much money on audio, our ears become the weak link.

You are not alone. Try not to think about it so much. If you focus on it, you will go crazy.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

my is fairly similar to what Ash is describing here. I have some kinda sinus problems, so I blow my nose more than average people. Sometimes it'll ring or pop once in a while. I'm 25 and ever since I found out what loud music can do to ones ears over a long period of time, I've avoided going to clubs that plays loud music all night. When I leave the clubs or bars with loud music, my ears will ring for the rest of the night. I tell my friends about and how they should take care of their ears, but they don't seem as bothered by it as I am.

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

I now have it 24/7. I went through a period of time when I noticed it more. This made me think about it and listen for it. I know when I'm in bed and think about it, it can get loud and can become upsetting. I'm less concerned now a days and frankly I don't notice it nearly as much.

I'm very concerned with the volume of the environment I find myself and take protective measures accordingly. If I'm going to increase the wear and tear on my ears it will be at a time and place of my choosing.

This hasn't stopped me from listening to loud music from time to time. But like most things, I try to do that with moderation.

Jeff

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I don't remember a time when I woke up one morning and noticed a ringing in my ears and declared that I have Tinnitus. I think I always had some form of ringing in my ears. Doesn't everyone to some degree?

When I read posts like this I think about it and notice it more but mostly at night when the room is silent. However, when my mind is on something else I don't notice it at all.

Curious, Ash what sort diagnosis did you undergo? What kind of tests were performed to determine the severity of your condition? I have sinus problems similar to yours and I have been wondering if something can or should be done about it.

Note: Moderators will probably move this thread.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

You probably have seen lots of doctors who can't give you a good explanation. When I hear people say that they notice it more when its nighttime and they are in bed and its quiet. Then they say that its upsetting. This sounds like "Anxiety" and the best way to overcome anxiety is acceptance. Or, like I do, I have my little machine that makes raindrops or waterfall or sea waves sounds which distract and comfort and are louder than the buzzing or ringing.

I mean think about it. How important listening to your great system which is the object of our obsessions. How better to sabotage ourselves then to come up with an anxiety thats in the ears. I'm not saying it might not be completey physical in nature, but after seeing many doctors myself, I realised it was a mild anxiety and now I understand it and can deal with it better.

Comment

• csuzor
                  • Nov 2004

I have a permanent low level ringing in both ears, at least for 10y (34 now), and sometimes for no apparent reason it'll get really loud in one ear, but then calms down after a couple of hours. I don't consider it is due to anxiety.
                  My wife doesnt have any ringing, and she can hear the kids moving in their bed when I can't... but for music, I can distinguish instruments she can't (in an classical orchestra), or I can understand low-level dialog she can't, or I can hear the difference in audio quality between different components like speakers or amps that she can't... I am sure listening is about training rather than absolute hearing ability.
                  Try not to think about it. And protect yourself from loud noises (my daughter's screams are actually painful to me, not my wife... seems tinnitus makes me more sensitive to some sounds).

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                    And protect yourself from loud noises (my daughter's screams are actually painful to me, not my wife... seems tinnitus makes me more sensitive to some sounds).
                    I wondered about that. I am hypersensitive to loud noises also. My wife thinks I have "bionic" hearing as I can hear things she can not or at least she doesn't notice it until I point it out to her.

Comment

• Brahma
                      • Jun 2005

I wouldn't worry about it to much.

From what I've researched the sound is a natural phenomena, but often mis-diagnosed as something anatomically or mentally wrong.
                      Brahma

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Although one has to protect their ears from High Volume noise or as the Doctors call it Noise Pollution ,then yes as you get older you tend to lose your hearing earlier in life. But the condition of constant ringing in the ears over long periods of time is not normal. Ringing in the ears after listening to high Volume music for long periods could cause a temporary ringing in the ears especially after HT at high Volumes but for this to continue for more than 3 days is ubnormal so I would recommend to see a Doctor as you may have a disease that my sister has which is called Meniere's disease which could cause instability if left uncured for a long time. This disease dries up the fluids in the ear that keep a person balanced and causes constant ringing in the ears for many years and sometimes disappears for a few weeks and returns again. I don't want to scare you ( as this is not a life threatening disease ) However, This could be serious for your style of life, so go check a Doctor to be assured, and if all is well with you which I really hope and pray ,then at least you will have peace of mind and no more stress which could be the actual cause of all this. Best of Luck!!!!!!!Hope you feel better.

Comment

• csuzor
                          • Nov 2004

Indeed, Meniere's disease seems terrible... but the symptoms are much more than just "low level ringing", and there is no cure (even patients who ignored surgery and those who had surgery recovered similarly!)
                          I am sure this is not my condition.

Fact: "Classic" (typical) Meniere's Disease is the term given to the condition having the following four symptoms, after thorough testing has determined no other cause:

Fluctuating (episodic) hearing loss.

Fluctuating (episodic) rotational vertigo (a form of dizziness).

Fluctuating (episodic) tinnitus (a sound heard when there is no sound).

Fluctuating (episodic) aural fullness (a sense of pressure in the middle ear, as if descending in an airplane; however, it is *not* actual pressure in the middle ear).

CAUTION: It is not possible to self-diagnose Meniere's Disease. Meniere's Disease is *not* defined by its symptoms. There are many disorders that have the same symptoms as Meniere's Disease. For a diagnosis, you *must* see a licensed and qualified medical professional. See the diagnosis information below and our diagnosis page for further information.

Comment

• Ash
                            • Dec 2004

RebelMan,

You should find a good "Ear, Nose & Throat" (ENT) doctor. He will probably use a small scope to look into you nose and examine the situation. He could also request you to get a "CT Scan" for the sinus area.

If you have Acute Sinusitis, the doctor might give you some antibiotics and you should be fine. However, If you have Chronic Sinusitis, then there is a possibility of an operation to remove some of the blocking.

I think it is important that you see a doctor to get this problem sorted. However, it is extremely important to find a very good doctor, especially if you will have an operation, because a bad one will make things worse. I had an operation in my nose 5 years ago and I have lost 70% of my sense of smell (I can't even taste food properly). With all the nose blowing it seems that I will lose my hearing soon.

I'm getting my CT Scan tomorrow, in the pursuit to fix this problem.

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                              • Jan 2005

I really appreciate all of the responses guys. It makes me feel better to know that I am not alone. Anyone who is in this forum cleary cares a great deal about the sounds that are around tham (not that everyone doesn't, but I think us hi-fi fanatics are even more obsessed! ) Anyway, I have an appointment with an ENT, so we will see what he has to say. I agree with the posters here, when I am distracted, the ringing is not too bothersome, and in fact even when I am hearing it, it is my fears of it getting worse that bothers me more than the actual ringing. I am getting to the age where I am realizing that my body is not invincible (I am a pilot, and having hearing loss or vertigo would be a significant career event for me).... Again, I appreciate being able to share this source of stress with a group that has similar interests as me. I will be sure and let you know how it turns out. If it is any concellation, my media room is the ultimate retreat from the ringing, I just hope it is not ironically also the cause! Thanks again, Josh

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ash
                                You should find a good "Ear, Nose & Throat" (ENT) doctor. He will probably use a small scope to look into you nose and examine the situation. He could also request you to get a "CT Scan" for the sinus area.
                                I just got a recommendation/reference for a doctor in my area. I plan to make an appointment to see one on Tuesday. I hope all goes well. Same to the rest of you dealing with this anomaly.

Comment

• Jesse111
                                  • Jul 2005

Going on 25 years.

Josh, I've had severe Tinnitus for years. It contributes to clinical depression and can be very difficult to deal with at times. Fortunately my hearing loss is very minimal only in the human voice range. After a listening session my ears ring louder which subsides back to it's regular ringing volume after a nights sleep. This does not have to stop you from enjoying quality music. There are many gimicks out there but the facts still remain that it is not curable and is barely treatable. See a doctor and he'll give you what the medical field has which is some very basic things that may help very little. The good news is, you will get used to it. It will not go away, it will always be there but you can enjoy your life fine with it. You simply will accept it and rise above like we all do. I often think of folks who wish there only problem was tinnitus and that helps me be thankful for what I've got. One trick is to try and never find yourself in a totally quite, dead room, environement. The ringing will "seem" much more intense. Your brain will focus on any sound no matter how small other than the ringing if you provide it with one. For instance, run a fan when you go to bed. Don't lay in an absolute quite bedroom or the ringing will distract you from good quality sleep. You'll be fine Josh.
                                  Jesse.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Update: I met with the doctor today and I underwent a full battery of ear/hearing tests. Conclusion: My ears are fine and I have perfect hearing and there is nothing that can be done to "cure" my Tinnitus. Unfortunately, it's all "in my head".

Furthermore, I asked the doctor if we all have some form of Tinnitus and maybe some people just don't notice it as much as others do. His reply was that it's possible but probably unlikely as he himself knows what Tinnitus sounds like after a night at the concert. However, the condition passes after a while and he doesn't have the long term effects of it.

So, like others have already said, it's best to not worry about it and accept the fact that it's just another part of who you are.

Works for me!

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                                      • Jan 2005

My appointment is next tuesday, so I don't have any more medical information that I did before, however although the ringing has not gone away, it is not bothering me nearly enough as it was when I started this thread. Rebelman: Did your doctor indate whether or not is was likely that your tinnitus would get any worse? Thanks

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JetFlyGuy
                                        Rebelman: Did your doctor indate whether or not is was likely that your tinnitus would get any worse?
                                        He stated that it shouldn't get any worse. Although, some "things" may aggravate it, like lifestyle, diet and medications (like decongestants) to name a few. However, the effects caused by these things are usually only temporary. Could be what you are experiencing lately.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                          You probably have seen lots of doctors who can't give you a good explanation. When I hear people say that they notice it more when its nighttime and they are in bed and its quiet. Then they say that its upsetting. This sounds like "Anxiety" and the best way to overcome anxiety is acceptance. .

Mr. Doggy
                                          Your posts are awesome (Pardon the lame phras-eology) but i certainly get a kick out of your world.

Just a thank you note:
                                          no replym necessary...

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                                            • Jan 2005

My doctor wouldn't see me on tueday, as my wallet was stolen, and I didn't have my physical insurance card on me. I will not be making another appointment with that jerk any time soon. They were very rude and refused to verify my coverage with the insurance company even though I had my SS card with me Luckly the ringing has subsuded a bit since I started this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"