X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pio
    • Nov 2005

Audio Myths: Great Video

This is a video version of my Audio Myths workshop from the October 2009 AES show in New York City. Because of a few music examples I used, this video is blo...

Its long but it's a very good video on what we hear / see or what we think we hear / see.

Next time you compare two pieces of gear - I know you will remember this video...
    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list
  • deewan
    • Feb 2009

Very intersting video. Thanks for sharing.
    The Old Woods Theater
    My Various Speaker Builds
    Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• mb225
      • Jan 2009

This is a great video. It does a great job addressing the placebo effect. I agree with a lot in this presentation.

Here's an interesting thought, who defines what sounds better? Who creates that standard? Does a $20,000 setup sound better than a $2,000 one? Or do we just think it should and therefore say it sounds better?

Keep in mind Ethan Winer also owns RealTraps and his underlying message is to treat your room with his products. Unless the information is from a unbiased (3rd party) it's difficult to know who to trust.

Great post Pio!

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by mb225
        This is a great video. It does a great job addressing the placebo effect. I agree with a lot in this presentation.

Here's an interesting thought, who defines what sounds better? Who creates that standard? Does a $20,000 setup sound better than a $2,000 one? Or do we just think it should and therefore say it sounds better?

Keep in mind Ethan Winer also owns RealTraps and his underlying message is to treat your room with his products. Unless the information is from a unbiased (3rd party) it's difficult to know who to trust.

Great post Pio!
        Yes but at least he has an EE and tries not to sell BS
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Pio
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mb225

Correct, I should have mentioned that in the post. The reality is that there is not much to broadband acoustic treatment, Real Traps or any other work - We use regular fabric covered fiberglass of varying thickness in our recording and on-air studios.

Reason why I posted the video was for the overall message, love the one with the college kids.
          Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• mb225
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by wettou
            Yes but at least he has an EE and tries not to sell BS
            I agree. He doesn't seem to throw around too much BS. He also does a lot of controlled scientific testing, which I really like. And I think room acoustics play a huge role in audio. My point was that he might be a little biased.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"