• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

What defines a home theater?

What defines a Home theater?

I was looking at pics of peoples home theaters on another forum am having trouble with a lot of them being called "Home Theater."

My ponderings have me wondering, so I thought it might make a good topic for discussion.

No disrespect meant to anyones setup, but the more I look, the more I ponder that a "Home Theater" is a room with the specific task of viewing movies, while also having front projection and surround sound. After all, would that not be a scaled down version of a movie theater?

As I perused the pics, I saw many shots of 27 in tv's w/ speakers flanked around the room located in a living room. This is pretty similar to what I have.

While I am proud of the setup I have, I would hardly call it a Home Theater. I would say "my living room has surround sound" (especially since I don't have a very big TV, 30 in.)

I long for the day of a bigger visual presence in my room, but much like many others, we have to do one thing at a time, and I chose to do my speakers first, which I have stated many times.

With this being said, what are your opinions of what constitutes a home theater?

Surround Sound?
    RPTV?
    FPTV?
    Dedicated room with any combination of the above?

I would have made a poll but I couldnt figure it out. Maybe one of the mods can turn this into one?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I think as long as you are entertained, then you are wittnessing "Theater" .

Were it is can define what type of theater you are witnessing
    Bing

Comment

• greggz
      • Jun 2002

Personally, I think to be a home "theater" it needs to have a front projector and a screen of considerable size. A 60" 16:9 rear projection TV might sound large, but a 16:9 110" diagonal projection screen is 235% larger in terms of square footage than the 60" RPTV.
      Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• ht_addict
        • Dec 2002

After investing over $10k in equipment to build my setup, just because I don't have a dedicated room with a projector and screen doesn't mean I don't have a hometheater. As long as you have a 5.1 audio setup it doesn't matter the size of the video portion. You have a HT.:tv:

ht_addict

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
          • Oct 2003

I agree ,57" RPTV here,,,,,,,,, definate HT

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ht_addict
            After investing over $10k in equipment to build my setup, just because I don't have a dedicated room with a projector and screen doesn't mean I don't have a hometheater. As long as you have a 5.1 audio setup it doesn't matter the size of the video portion. You have a HT.:tv:

ht_addict
            I agree Gregg, you don't necessarily have to have projector and screen, as long as you have at least 5.1 (could be HITB) and a viewing screen, and of course it's in your home.

I have invested quite a bit in home theater as well, I have a 120" screen with a projector and 7.1, however I have influenced friends and relatives who have less equipment, and I enjoy their home theaters (after providing some consulting, , of course ),. Everyone has their own flavor and priorites, it's merely a matter of personal preferences.

Just my humble thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ht_addict

ht_addict
              I don't see how price is relevent to defining a home theater. If it did, I would be in the same bracket as you. My ideal setup is to have a living room that doubles in home theater duties, in a non-obtrusive way. I am still young and when I buy my first house, will most likely not be able to sacrifice a room for home theater exclusively.

With that being said, my thought process is along the lines of practicality and attempting to have many of the characteristics of home theater, while not entirely realizing a dedicated home theater room.

Anyways, thanks for your views and I hope we can continue to ponder this...

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Here is my definition of home theater:

Home Theater is where you view and listen to movies or TV shows with multichannel audio, and a screen size large enough to immerse yourself into a viewing experience in your particular environment which may be dedicated or not. The channels of audio can be from 2 upward, ideally with at least stereo and a center channel, adequite low frequency capability as well as normal audio frequencies. Rear surround sound effects are ideal to complete the home theater audio experience.

As far as whether it's close to a real movie theater with front projection and large audio sound? The closer the better, and the more ideal a "home theater" becomes- But that's not to say you have to have front projection to enjoy home theater, you don't. But your screen size should be such that you feel like you can become a part of your viewing experience. Usually that means at least 50" of viewing, or a much more compact viewing area with close to a 32" widescreen as a minimum suggested size.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I've read a lot of debate on this subject in the past. For me, yeah, a big screen in a dedicated room is my idea of HT, but it wasn't always that way. I can remember when I was using a 27" tv and enjoyed things greatly... that is until widescreen laserdiscs hit the market. But I feel it is wrong to say someone, like quite a few members here, that only have a 27" tv don't have a home theater. Probably what Bing said was as close to how I feel about the matter. After all, not everyone is in a situation where they can have an elaborate system, so for them it's whatever works best, and as long as they are getting enjoyment out of their system, then why not call it a home theater ?
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I think Lex nailed it IMO.

Comment

• CJ Paul
                      • Oct 2004

This is always a sensitive subject. On the one hand, not everyone can afford the kind of a equipment that would be required to have a "theater in the home" and most people are fine letting people define it as whatever they want. I'm in the camp that the nicer my equipment got and the more experience I got, the more I moved towards believing I DONT have a home theater. Why? Mostly because I think decor is also part of a home theater as well as the equipment, intended and actual use, etc. I call my room a Home Theater, but its more of a multimedia room. I have a 100" FP setup, 5.1 and all of the current format processing available. It is a dedicated room in that nothing is in there except the "HT" equipment, but I also play my xbox in there, watch the Hawkeyes and listen to music.

Any who, if you want to be ultra strict in what a home theater is, you risk offending someone, however in most other areas, we dont pull so many punches in defining a particular class of item. I cant build a small wooden enclosure/shelter on a row boat and call it a yacht. I cant put a V8 and a spoiler on a station wagon and call it a sports car. I cant hook one of those mini keyboards up to a PDA and call it a computer. I cant soup up my moped and call it a motorcycle. I cant call the gazing pool in my back yard a lake. And, I cant date a girl from WalMart who appeared in the ad and say I'm dating a model.

PS Andrew, for a newbie here who doesnt know everyone. Who is Doug. I dont see any Dougs that replied to this thread...

Comment

• Kemp
                        • Nov 2003

CJ,

Doug aka Lex. (Owner of HTG)
                        :T
                        Marius

Comment

• greggz
                          • Jun 2002

I didn’t have time yesterday to give as long of an answer as I wanted, so here are my additional musings :B on the topic.

I don’t think you have to spend a lot of money or have a dedicated room to have a "home theater", but you should strive to recreate the theater experience (sans the sticky floors and costly refreshments).

Sound: At a minimum you should have a surround sound setup, and it doesn't matter if its Bose or B&W. Actually, most commercial theaters don't sound all that great. And to keep one screen room from disturbing another, rarely do they offer bass much below 40Hz. It is very easy to create a home theater environment that is as enjoyable or better than what is available at your average Cineplex.

Picture: The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) have guidelines for how a picture is to be displayed in a commercial theater. The picture must be at least 12 foot-Lamberts (measure of brightness) and it must fill at least 30 degrees of the viewer's horizontal angle of vision. This standard has been adopted by professional home theater installers as well.

Most home displays have no trouble with the brightness part. TV's and RPTV tend to be 50 foot-Lamberts or more. Most digital projectors can create a picture between 12 and 20 foot-Lamberts. CRT projectors have the most difficulty throwing a bight picture. They tend to be around 9 to 12 foot-Lamberts. This is why CRT projectors require a totally dark room.

Its the angle of vision part where most home theaters fall short of the "theater experience". SMPTE uses the term "immersion" when describing the proximity of the viewer to the picture. In order to feel immersed in the action, the picture must fill a MINIMUM of 30 degrees of the viewer's horizontal vision and 15 degrees of their vertical. The THX specification is even more aggressive. They recommend the picture fill 36 degrees of the viewer's horizontal angle of vision.

Here are some examples to put things in perspective:

If you are using a 27" 4:3 TV as the video source for your home theater, you must sit as close as 3.3 feet from the screen to achieve the SMTPE minimum amount of immersion, and as close as 2.8 feet for THX immersion. (your mother would have a fit!)

If you are using a 36" 4:3 TV, then you must sit as close as 4.5 feet from the screen for SMPTE and 3.7 feet for THX.

With a 50" 16:9 RPTV, you must sit no further than 6.6 feet for SMPTE and 5.6 for THX.

With a 60" 16:9 RPTV, you must sit no further than 8 feet for SMPTE and 6.7 feet for THX.

For comfort, and to allow the sound stage to develop, I would assume that most folks would want to sit 8 to 10 feet from screen, so now you are talking about a 70" screen to create a sense of immersion.

Now, having said all of that, there is no "home theater police." No referee will throw a yellow flag should you call your setup a home theater and it fails to meet someone else’s criteria for home theater. If you have a 9" TV and some headphones, call it your home theater, and are happy with it, then you are better off than the rest of us sickos who spend thousands or 10's of thousands of dollars only to lie awake at night contemplating our next upgrade. :B

Personally I think you should endeavor to make your home theater a better experience than a commercial theater. I would never seek to model my master bedroom after a room at a Holiday Inn, so why strive to limit my home theater to just mimic my local Cineplex. I want to watch movies and TV, play video games, surf the web, and listen to stereo and multi-channel music. I want comfortable seating, not in uniform unfriendly rows, but arranged in as a conversation pit. I want to visit the concession stand without ever missing a minute of the movie. Any one of these things might make a home theater purist cringe, but it’s my home theater and I can do all of these things because I built it that way.
                          Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• ajpoe
                            • Jul 2004

:agree:

Very well put greggz! :T
                            AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                              But I feel it is wrong to say someone, like quite a few members here, that only have a 27" tv don't have a home theater.

I'm trying to reply as little as possible and not be defensive about my opinion, because I asked for others, but it seems that this is the concensus of the opinion as to why a living room w/ surround sound is being considered home theater, or at least how it looks to me.

Are you saying it is hurting someones feelings? That someone may not feel like they belong to the message board and so you have to walk on egg shells? I think that is ridiculous. I am not discrediting anyones setup. If I was, I would be discrediting my own system in the process!

I have a honda civic. it isnt a pimped out like a lot of the rice boys have but it does have a vtec engine and is pretty quick. that does not make it a sports car though.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

Strikes me as sort of a subjective question with no definitive answer.

Is a table saw on a counter in your garage a home wood shop? What if you add a drill press? What if with those two things you manage to make fine finished cabinetry?

If you watch movies in your living room with surround sound instead of going to the theater to see them, it's a theater to you (maybe).

I've been to a commerical movie theater in Tokyo that was completely inferior to my setup in every way (size of screen, sound system, OK, it had more seats - 20). My "theater" is a pulldown screen at the family room end of our kitchen/eating area/family room. And a projector and a big rack of components. Does the fact that it is so far from "dedicated" make it less of a theater than the shoebox in Tokyo I paid $18 to see Sleepy Hollow in? Hmmmm.

How about a pair of the Sony glasses that are the "equivalent" of a 50" screen and a set of wound out headphones? Is that a "Personal Theater"?

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

I really don't have an answer to the original question, of what exactly defines a home theater. The only opinion I'll offer is that the central focus of everything in home theater is PERSONAL ENJOYMENT--taking pleasure from watching movies and listening to music. I think we audiophiles/videophiles/enthusiasts sometimes lose sight of this, getting distracted with specifications, ratings, or whatever. In the end, when you sit down and watch a movie, I have one quetion for you--do you enjoy the experience?

Whether you define your setup as a home theater or not, I think, is secondary to this.
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Good reply Chris. I couldn't agree more.

In response to Sikoniko's post about walking on eggshells to aviod hurting someone's feelings: well the one thing I have always liked about The Guide is the fact we don't go out of our way TO HURT SOMEONE'S FEELINGS. There are plenty of other home theater sites to visit if you like to read about cyberspace browbeating.
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

Let me start by apologising for the misunderstanding.

It is not my intention to project an attitude of anyone being better than anyone else, which is what I think is being perceived by what I consider to be a home theater. If someone has a dedicated room, which again I say I don't have, it does not make them better than anyone else. Everyone has different priorities. That is life.

Because it is opinion based, everyone will obviously have their own opinions, and I am not trying to attack anyone elses opinion. I just don't think that it is a valid arguement to say because a lot of people may or may not fit into what several on this forum define as 'home theater', does it make anyones setup any less valuable, or take away from entertainment value, nor should it make someone feel unwanted from the msg board.

My personal opinion on a dedicated Home Theater is that it is a luxury that I am probably 20 years away from. Until then, my living room(s) will provide me entertainment in a fashion similar to that of a theater, while accomodating an aesthetic style (for the fiance and future wife) that allows for company to interact in a comfortable fashion.

George, I respect you as a longstanding member and fellow enthusiest.

to quote you again:

For me, yeah, a big screen in a dedicated room is my idea of HT, but it wasn't always that way.
                                      So you yourself state that you agree with my opinion. Not trying to take this out of context, so correct me if I am wrong. You state that it wasn't always this way. In your life, there are probably a lot of things today that weren't always this way. example, the internet. Things change. Concepts change. Ideas change. How long has this concept of home theater been around? I've had pro logic receivers as long as I can remember, but for the longest time, true home theater setups have been for the rich, and in the past 10 years I would estimate have they began to reach into the middle class homes and moreso in the last 5. Especially w/ DD and DTS becoming available, and prices declining.

But I feel it is wrong to say someone, like quite a few members here, that only have a 27" tv don't have a home theater
                                      Here is where you bend and say that out of the sake of respect for others, you compromise on your definition. Then which is your definition? is it a dedicated room, or is it a 27" tv? Why do you compromise? from what I read, it is to not hurt anyones feelings. Why should your opinion hurt anyones feelings?

Again I state, this is an apology, and I am hoping to clarify myself, as I feel as though I may have been misunderstood. Please PM me if anyone has issues directly w/ me. I DO NOT IN ANY WAY MEAN ANY DISRESCPET TOWARDS ANYONES OPINIONS, AND ESPECIALLY NOT THEIR SETUPS. we all work hard for what we have, and I certainly understand that they don't need someone on the internet discrediting it.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                                        The only opinion I'll offer is that the central focus of everything in home theater is PERSONAL ENJOYMENT--taking pleasure from watching movies and listening to music. *snip*

Whether you define your setup as a home theater or not, I think, is secondary to this.
                                        That was the point of my woodshop example. What you get out of it is really the issue. If you get a theater experience out of your setup, then you have a theater, don't you.

Right now, I actually feel I don't, because my 120" screen is TOO FRIGGIN' SMALL TO GET IMMERSED IN STAR WARS!

My wife feels this way when we watch any LOTR films. So I am trying figure out how to cram a 145" wide scope screen into the room (and get the projector necessary to support that size at our viewing distance).

:banghead:

BB

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                          Right now, I actually feel I don't, because my 120" screen is TOO FRIGGIN' SMALL TO GET IMMERSED IN STAR WARS!

BB
                                          Thats really too bad you don't have a hometheater....

Sometimes I find topics like this a bit selfserving.

Generally we always seem to have the Big Multichannel, Front Projector, dedicated room (with cool movie posters :B ) group that seem to try and impose some level of admission to claiming you have a Hometheater setup.

Then there are the modest, or humble hobbist that may get bruised feelings just because of the price of admission.

Nobodys right nobodys wrong, I just find it interesting how we always try to classifiy thing based on hardware requirements.

I'm a Junk yard dog that knows my system isn't anything close to what could be considered a "hometheater" by the Upperclass. If that makes my system an Home entertainment center than I can deal.... The purpose of Theater to me is to be entertained, be it at home, the auditorium or the local cineplex.

Most times I don't find the Big screen movie theater that immersive with all the late comers, people talking , twissller bag rattling, popcon box digging folks kicking the back of my chair. I have been more immersed with my PC monitor with stereo speakers.

However I enjoy the Big Movie Theaters because Film has resolution that DVD can't even hope to replicate, so if it was about the hardware, I would say unless you had a flim projector, you really don't have a home theater :twisted: But you know I don't subscribe to that notion.... If your entertained, your getting your moneys worth out of your system, homeentertainment center, hometheater, mini at home Multi movie plex, what have you...... :

It's not always about the hardware, it can be about the film (DVD), the emotions envoked, the company you are sharing it with, the snacks, the surroundings, the bass, the sound, anything that has you entertained...

I like those that stated generally, Hometheatre is what ever you get out of it...
                                          Bing

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Feb 2002

My home theater is surround sound on a department store sony and a 32" 4X3 tv and a bunch of mismatched speakers in a multifunctional basement....

that's my theater at home....aka: my home-theater, meets my definition perfectly.
                                            It shows movies with sound at home....what more do you need? Will I upgrade sure...

But, it will still show movies at home with sound.
                                            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2001

Dan, I respect your opinion and no apology is necessary.

In terms of definition, yes a big picture in a dedicated room is my idea of HT. But a definition based on MY opinion TODAY is not necessarily reality. My first Ht was a 19" color tv connected to a 2 channel receiver in my living room. It was a HT for me then and would be my opinion of one for me today if that was all I could afford. That's reality, and that was the point that I so poorly tried to make.
                                              My Homepage!

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                • Oct 2002

"What defines a home theater".

Simple answer. Everything. If the person that bought the equipment says he got a home theater, then it's a home theater... Because for this person, what he bought fulfills his need for a home theater.

I have 3 rooms in my house with electronics in them. I have one fully treated, isolated and independant room with a 110" screen (8' wide), a front projector and 7.1 surround system, a stage, a riser with 2 rows of seatings. For me, that's my "home theater". When I have friends or family at home, crossing the doors to this room always yields some "wows" and "my god", and alot of "better then the "real" theater in town" comments. So I went the extra miles to fulfill my OWN definition of the "Home Theater" experience.

In my 2 other rooms I have a 40" and a 34" direct-view CRTs, with DVD-players, 2ch audio and speakers. For me, those 2 rooms are "family-rooms with multimedias". For the children cartoons and shows, to listen to the news or just having a casual drink with friends while listening to background music, then the "multimedia rooms" are the way to go.

So IMHO, any personnal definition of the "Home Theater" is good, if this person is enjoying a good film and is having fun in that room. If this person is enjoying the experience with the equipement they bought and did install in their room at home, then it's definitely a "Home Theater"... :T

I don't think the size of the display matters, or the size of the room, or the number of speakers, and blah blah blah. What matters is people having fun in that room while enjoying a movie.
                                                To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• CJ Paul
                                                  • Oct 2004

Generally we always seem to have the Big Multichannel, Front Projector, dedicated room (with cool movie posters ) group that seem to try and impose some level of admission to claiming you have a Hometheater setup.
                                                  I find the opposite to be true more often. People with HTIB that dont even know about this or any other HT site or forum will usually not say they have a home theater but just because the term really has no weight for them. The next group, people with mid-fi systems and maybe and RPTV are the most likely to call their setup a home theater. I think this is just because this is the level where you truly have to be into the hobby to have justified the expense. You might be $5k in at this point. I find more people with FP, large, dedicated rooms, etc. are usually the least likely to claim the have a home theater unless they have a TRULY elaborate setup. So what happens between that $5k buy in and the $10k - $15k buy in that makes people seem to declassify their own system? That question is what I find most interesting.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CJ Paul
                                                    The next group, people with mid-fi systems and maybe and RPTV are the most likely to call their setup a home theater.

I find more people with FP, large, dedicated rooms, etc. are usually the least likely to claim the have a home theater unless they have a TRULY elaborate setup
                                                    And we have the 50" RPTV toting gang that want to claim they have a Hometheater :B

Your last comment I find interesting for I have a few friends with dedicated rooms and front projectors. None of them would deny that thay have a "A-typical Hometheater". We have examples of it here in this discussion as well, were people with dedicated rooms, front projectors with multichannel sound systems (and cool movie posters :B ) are defining that is the admission price.

I think for sake of disscussions such as this, if those people with the dedicated rooms, front projectors with multichannel sound systems (and cool movie posters :B ) say they don't feel they have a hometheater, its a way to declassify anything below their level of equipment. Knowing full well they have what it takes to be considered a Hometheater.

I find it perposterious that these people with the dedicated rooms, front projectors with multichannel sound systems (and cool movie posters :B ) would even say something as silly as that they don't have a hometheater. It's is a hometheater be proud of it... But don't say it isn't, just to validate that anything below you certainly can't be a Hometheater, just to win the debate.

The only thing wrong with calling a 50" RPTV in a living room a Hometheater is it cheapens the great systems of the dedicated room crowd, some can deal with that, others it leads to a lot of sphincter clenching.... I don't care either way. I just like seeing what people come up with.

I for one don't claim to have a hometheater (for I have my own requirements), rather I have an home entertainment center. That doesn't mean I don't have a home theater, I suppose it all depends on who you are, weither you're looking up or looking down.

Again what I find interesting is why this is this so important to define? What camps are these people from trying to define it?

Maybe I am just a 50" RPTV in the living room guy that knows he doesn't have what it takes to be considered a hometheater, and is just trying to declassify something so I can "belong"?? :scratchhead:

I hope it won't always be like that.... :lol:
                                                    Bing

Comment

• CJ Paul
                                                      • Oct 2004

If you dont have Krell master reference series everything and a 10 foot screen, your system is not a home theater. (or Bose, that works too.)

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2000

If you dont have Krell master reference series everything and a 10 foot screen, your system is not a home theater. (or Bose, that works too.)
                                                        Tough price of admission :lol:
                                                        Bing

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

So what happens between that $5k buy in and the $10k - $15k buy in that makes people seem to declassify their own system? That question is what I find most interesting.
                                                          I have been giving this some thought, and I think you are on to something. Perhaps, it could be, for me anyways, the deeper the obsession I have, the further I see to obtaining it.

Comment

• CJ Paul
                                                            • Oct 2004

My high school music instructure would simply classify it as "the more you know, the more you know you dont know." He is currently a semi-professional musician (his band has released CDs) and would claim that he cant play for crap. I would wholeheartedly disagree, but hey.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2000

My high school music instructure would simply classify it as "the more you know, the more you know you dont know." He is currently a semi-professional musician (his band has released CDs) and would claim that he cant play for crap. I would wholeheartedly disagree, but hey.
                                                              As if :roll: You have to know deep down inside you have some tallent, other wise you wouldn't be doing it. It's called being humble.... :wink:

Reminds me of the Pretty Girl that says shes ugly.. Only to be reassured that she is not.....
                                                              Bing

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Bing Fung
                                                                As if :roll: You have to know deep down inside you have some tallent, other wise you wouldn't be doing it. It's called being humble.... :wink:

Reminds me of the Pretty Girl that says shes ugly.. Only to be reassured that she is not.....
                                                                No, I believe, in the case of music that it is accurate. I play guitar and can vouch for it. When you see these guys play, and they say they are self-taught blah blah blah and you think they just pick it up and play. that is crap.

There are some who have a natural ear for notes and can pick up an instrument and play anything they hear, but most of us have to have some direction. The further your understanding of music gets, the more you realise how much there is to learn, such as all of the different scales, in each key including relative minors, majors, 7th's, augmented, diminished, harmonic, etc.

There are some that might use that as an excuse for their low self-esteem, but when it comes to music the statement "the more you know, the more you realise you don't know" is very accurate.

To relate that to home theater is easy. When one first gets into it, especially w/ HTIB, he or she might not realise how something as complex as room acoustics can make a difference, let alone speaker, amp, cable, pre/pro selection is.

The simple fact is that sometimes ignorance is bliss (ramones song).

Comment

• CJ Paul
                                                                  • Oct 2004

sikoniko hit the nail on the head. Put it this way. There are guys out there that build sub boxes for cars or something that think they are absolute studs. Yet, I have exposure to actual physics, acoustics, and some loudspeaker building principals, so I know that not only dont THEY know jack, but neither do I. Yet, they do not recognize either fact.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Fair enough guys...

However in the context of this discussion, you really don't have to know a lot about hometheater to own one. And certainly the popular opinion is that you must have a dedicated room with FP to claim you have one.

Maybe to continue on the Knowledge theme, the more we think we know about hometheater, the worse it gets as we try to define and bin everything based on hardware, rather than enjoy it for what it is?

It's like the poor Audiophile that is continually seeking the holy grail of audio, chasing exotic cables, CD sprays and cones.... Working so hard to hear the sonic differences, they forget to just enjoy the performance, however flawed it maybe.

I'm not saying Hardware isn't important, however it seems we place so much value on that as a qualification of worth, we forget to just enjoy and be entertained.

In another light, a person that has a stage with curtains, with out a piece of electronics could have a Hometheater as long as there is an audiance and actors.
                                                                    Bing

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2004

I called my room a HT room when I had just a 32" tube tv. I still do with my 47" widescreen RPTV. My dual Paradigm PW-2200's I used to have & the SVS PB12-Ultra2 I now have slam way better in my HT room, than any actual theater I've been to.

You can call your room what you want, I'll call mine what I want. I have no problem with someone with a HTIB calling their room a HT room.

SO FREAKING WHAT?!? GEEZ!!!

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Just a friendly caution here. Let's not get upset about this. After "cable talk" and "tubes vs solid state", this is probably one of the most contentious subjects out there. We ALL have our opinions on it and for the most part they are all valid in most respects. Let's respect each other's thoughts.

Me? I guess I come in on the upper-middle side of the curve as far as set-up goes - dedicated room, 58" HD RPTV, multi-channel surround, etc. But emotionally, if someone in a dorm has a 19" monitor on his PC, has 4 or 5 speakers around his chair and gets a smile on his face when he throws a DVD in and gets into the moment of the story, then they too have a home theater. Theater is not about running up an impressive bill for equipment, acoustic treatments, decorations and such. It's about getting into that story that's in front of you. It's about being transported into another place, another time, another person's story. That's what it's all about, and a "home theater" IMO is whatever combination of things it takes to put you there. For some it takes more, for some, less.

Just my 2 cents. As always, YMMV.
                                                                        Last edited by David Meek; 21 October 2004, 14:13 Thursday. Reason: punctuation correction

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2001
                                                                          • 7637

And a very good 2 cents, indeed, Tex. I also agree with your caution that we should respect each others thoughts. This is one of those topics I have seen get awfully nasty at some other home theater sites.
                                                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• chefboy1
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2004

Tough call - even though I think my stuff is decent for just over $8000, I'd be really embarassed to describe it as a 'Home Theatre' to my house guests. It's just a very good entertainment centre - sharp picture with great sound. In my opinion, the term 'Home Theatre' is a marketing ploy by manufacturers and websites (like this one!) to create more sex appeal.

Unfortunately, I don't buy it when a Civic pulls up with a huge rear spoiler, tons of decals and an oversized muffler. Sporty maybe, but not sports car. Same with this debate - most of us may have an awesome living room (or way cool PC), but definitely not 'Home Theatre'. Don't see the need to overglorify things besides ego-stroking perhaps.

For me, a dream HT would require a physical & mental separation from everyday home life - no telephones ringing, no kids' toys scattered on floor, no bills sitting on coffee table, etc. Also, if my wife can watch Oprah or my daughter can catch up on Blue's Clues and there's 3 minutes of commercials from Always Maxipads to Honey Nut Cheerios, then the whole debate ends there.

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2004
                                                                              • 104

#39
                                                                              If so many people have problems calling it a home theater, why do you buy your components from a home theater store?

IMO, if you watch a movie, with surround sound, it's home theater.

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"