X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

The Beatles Remasters - Not A Peep, Where's The Love

I have been following the info and hype about the Beatle remasters the last month or two. Well alongs comes 9-9-09 and I decided to bite. Wasn't sure what I was going to do, decided to stop off at the local BB and see what was up. I decided to buy a few (4) that I don't have, open one see if it really sounded that good and if it did open others, if not return the un-opened.

I have 6 or 8 Beatles already, so I ended up with Help, Past Masters, Hard Days Night and Please Please Me.

First up was Help. Initial impression was WOW. I was in love with my speakers and the Beatles. All I could say to myself was way can't all CD's sound this clean and clear... I felt like crying (just an expression here) out of happiness because it sounded so good, or cry becuase some many cd's sound so bad.

You could turn it up! and it still sounded good... it wasn't shrill, it didn't hurt your ears. You could get it nice and high and get a little physical sense from the speakers... it was thrilling. It's always so dishearting to hear music sound wonderful in a movie or even TV and then put a CD in and be so disappointed. Over the past few years I had put a fair amount of money into a decent system and movies were the saving grace sonically, most CD's were a disappointment.

My system was singing and I was loving it.

Help was outstanding, the detail, nuances coming out, it was like hearing it all new again. There were some that I didn't have 100% apprication for that sounded so good, appriciate them so much more.

Past Master was next. I couldn't get over how strong Don't Let Me Down is, so far be song, always liked it, favorite Beatle song now. It was amazing.

Last night I went out and bought the other 10 CD's. Rubber Soul was next up and while it was very good, it was a little high on top but still could be played loud. Have to keep in mind how it was originally and other factors, still 90 out of 100.

Abbey Road was wonderful.

Disc one of the White Album is playing now and Rocky Raccoon is a treat.

Time to go and kick off a Beatles CD weekend. :T
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I still prefer the mono releases over the first remasters in stereo.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

greenhorn, your observations are consistent with those of my friends who have heard the new stereo releases. I'm really looking forward to hearing them.

Nigel.

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Greenhorn, Thanks for the review. I can't say I've been a big Beetles fan in the past. I like some of there music but not really enough to actually buy anything in the past. But your review has me very tempted to try something, and maybe I'll be surprised by it. What one or two CDs would you recommend?
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Johnloudb
          What one or two CDs would you recommend?
          I'd recommend that you start with Abbey Road. Follow that up with Rubber Soul and Revolver. By the time you've got to grips with those three albums you'll be a devoted Beatles fan and want to hear everything they've done.

Nigel.

Comment

• greenhorn
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Johnloudb
            Greenhorn, Thanks for the review. I can't say I've been a big Beetles fan in the past. I like some of there music but not really enough to actually buy anything in the past. But your review has me very tempted to try something, and maybe I'll be surprised by it. What one or two CDs would you recommend?

I kind of group their work into 3 phases, so I would either pick which you prefer or one of each.

The first phase I consider mostly high Pop and they did some covers. It's generally light, faster and simpler. From this group I would go with Please Please Me.

The second phase was high creativity and experimentation. You can't go wrong with Rubber Soul or Revolver and Sgt Pepper on the edge.

The last phase was what I consider the deeper or heavier feel and sound. I would throw The White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be here. Yellow Submarine falls into this time frame, but is kind of an oddity. From this group I would go with The White Album or Abbey Road.

In thinking about it if there was just one disc to recommend I would suggest Past Masters. Here you get two discs for a good price and it spans all three phases or style to a degree. There are also some tunes that you might not be as familair with. I'll be the first to agree that some are reluctant with the Beatles due to over saturation, hearing them like this makes it fresh again.

Go get yourself Past Masters 2 disc set for $12.99 if there is a best buy around your and see how it feels.

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

Thanks Guys! :T
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Hmmm.... The Beatles... I've done some research and found that they were a 1960s rock band, but apparently they are so little known they are not even represented on iTunes. Could their music really be that good that a "remaster" is warranted?

Yes, of course it is. I got up at 5 AM on 09/09/2009 to get online to place an order for Best Buy in-store pickup of the stereo set of all 14 albums, which I now have in hand. So far I've listened to all of Abbey Road (twice), both discs of "The Beatles" ("the white album" ), Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper, and Past Masters I & II. So far I am very favorably impressed with the clarity and dynamic range on each disc -- well worth the upgrade. Next up: "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul".

Of course it is still the same music, so if you really think The Flaming Lips, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Dave Clark Five or (insert name of any other notable band in the running for "second place") :>) better represents the era, this magnificent rendition of The Beatles work is probably not going to change your mind. On the other hand, if you are new to The Beatles music, or are a fan and want to hear the music without a layer of audio grunge, these remastered (NOT "remixed") discs are definitely the way to go, IMO.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• greenhorn
                  • Feb 2007

Humm

Comment

• mjb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                    Hmmm.... The Beatles... I've done some research and found that they were a 1960s rock band, but apparently they are so little known they are not even represented on iTunes. Could their music really be that good that a "remaster" is warranted?
                    Am I missing the joke or sarcasm, or just getting old?
                    - Mike

Main System:
                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                    ClassƩ SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                      I still prefer the mono releases over the first remasters in stereo.
                      I'm sure you've seen, there are "new" mono disks too - I've not heard them, but the reviews on Amazon are thumbs up.
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                      ClassƩ SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Greenhorn you evil SOB : I've been trying to avoid them like the plague as I'm a HUGE fan and I've already shelled out my hard earned dollars for all their albums and the Anthology (DVD's and CD's). I really didn't want to hear how good the new ones sound!!
                        Jason

Comment

• Industrial
                          • Mar 2009

I have the MONO box set on the way. I was lucky and the store I went to had ordered more on the very same day they sold out. They ordered 2, I got one. So even if I was a little bit late I get to have one of the Numbered box sets. I did get the 3 last albums they did. They don't come in the mono box set since they were originally done in Stereo. I have the 87's stereo CDs and these new ones blow them away. The drums sound so much better, cymbals are nice and crisp sounding. The vocals no longer have that "part of the voice was cut in two" sound and sound nice rich and full. There is a little bit of tape hiss here and there but not very much. Most parts I can crank it up and they background is very clean. The sound is very Dynamic. I'm sure it helps that I'm playing this on equipment kinda similar to what Abbey Roads uses (B&W speakers and Benchmark DAC1).

- This is all Subjective as I am not a Audio Engineer.
                          Last edited by Industrial; 12 September 2009, 21:39 Saturday.

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                            I'm sure you've seen, there are "new" mono disks too - I've not heard them, but the reviews on Amazon are thumbs up.

Ok. Now you have my attention!
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

Am I missing the joke or sarcasm, or just getting old?
                              Yes, it appears you are missing the joke. As of now, The Beatles actually are not represented on iTunes, but it is not because of obscurity. So that was a joke. The question that followed was answered in the rest of my post (under the black stripes -- put your cursor there and the rest of the text will be visible).

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• littlesaint
                                • Jul 2007

I also have the mono set on order, plus the 3 stereo only albums. Can't wait. :T
                                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

I've been looking at these, too, but have been so busy- time to get a few on order!
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigburner
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Hereā€™s an interview with Allan Rouse, the Abbey Road engineer in charge of the remastering project:

The man in charge of the first-ever remastering of the Beatles’ catalog says the resulting recordings sound “the closest they’ve ever sounded to the original master tapes.” …

Nigel.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Found a good review comparing mono vs stereo album by album for those interested

Part 1:
                                      9 September 2009 sees The Beatles' studio back catalogue re-released in remastered mono and stereo form across two CD box sets: The Beatles In Mono, and The Beatles Box Set: Remastered In Stereo. In t

Part 2:
                                      Tomorrow is the day (9/9/09) millions of music fans have been waiting 22 years for: The Beatles' studio back catalogue, remastered and available in two lavish CD box sets, The Beatles In Mono and The
                                      Jason

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

I received these last week and promptly ripped them to disk, but was not able to start listening to them until recently.

One thing I especially like is being able to identify Mr. Winston O' Boogie's strumming. It normally gets drowned out. Now I can tell if he is just plucking the stings somewhat muted or actually playing the chord. I found it quite interesting.
                                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Just in three for now- Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Abbey Road.... add in a new DAC, and = Big smile!

Sounds the way I always imagined it must have when they recorded it, but somehow didn't capture. Remarkable.
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

You guys are killing me. With my birthday coming up next week my wife and children have asked me not to buy any movies or music for the last few weeks, so the stereo set is at the top of my gift list. Here's hoping. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

I just picked up this new set yesterday and listened to it all day yesterday and partially today and I agree it's fantastic compared to the other copies I've had.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"