X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mowry
    • Dec 2008

The Whole Truth About Beryllium Diaphragms

After a year of research I uncovered and compiled an interesting story from within the loudspeaker industry. You can download my manuscript here, http://www.s-m-audio.com/truth.zip

Feel free to distribute this file.
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Very interesting and well done.

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Very interesting article! I haven't heard a metal dome I liked, but I haven't heard any metal domes tweeter in years. When metal dome tweeters became all the rage in the early 90's, they all sounded bright to my ears. I know they've come along way since then, and I haven't heard a Beryllium tweeter, but then again who really has heard one anyway.

You might see if the moderators would move this thread to the Mission Possible DIY section of the forum. I think there would be more interest in this there.

Anyway, very well done! Thanks for posting!! :T
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I can't speak to beryllium tweets , but the metal domes in my Paradigms work for me. I think they're aluminum (!) , but they provide one of the missing links I spent 20 + years trying to recapture. (a/d/s L1530s). The mids and tweeters in the a/d/s towers were incredible.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

I've only auditioned speakers with metal dome tweets at Hi-Fi shops, and we all know how poorly speakers can be set up in those places. Athough, the first metal domes had a reputation for being bright sounding in comparison to soft domes. But, things have changed since then, and it seems metal domes are often the tweeter of choice.
          John unk:

Comment

• wolfgang
            • Jul 2006

How big and in what format is this document written with?

I can't open this with OpenOffice. Any chance of posting them in another format?

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

That's strange. I just tried opening it with Open Office 2.2 and had no problem. Maybe you forgot to extact the word document first from the .zip format? Other than that, got me.

I also opened it with Neo Office which is Open Office for the Mac. And that worked good too.
              John unk:

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                I've only auditioned speakers with metal dome tweets at Hi-Fi shops, and we all know how poorly speakers can be set up in those places. Athough, the first metal domes had a reputation for being bright sounding in comparison to soft domes. But, things have changed since then, and it seems metal domes are often the tweeter of choice.

My experience with "hi-fi" shops hasn't been too dissimilar! The last time I went to my local store , the speakers were underpowered and overdriven. You can imagine how nice that sounded with metal tweets! I'm also sure the speaker placement was crap. The underpowered comment doesn't apply to the Mac MC402 driving 91db speakers in a lousy room.
                My old a/d/s/ had soft dome mids and tweets , and sounded lovely. I really like the sound of my Paradigms , but I may have just decided to love them because I can't afford new speakers...
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wolfgang
                  • Jul 2006

Thanks for the suggestion. Managed to resolve the problem now.

Comment

• jbreezy5
                    • May 2009

I think there are still alot of metal dome tweets that don't perform as well as I'd like.

I have heard some that have really come a long way. In particular the metal domes in the Energy Reference-Connoisseur (sp?) line are about as good as any tweeter I've heard. Very smooooooth; and excellent dispersion, much like your Paradigms, Lee. Not surprising since they are both part of the speaker undertaking in Canada.

The SEAS metal-domes used in Argon speakers are also very smooth and have good dispersion.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"