AudioTechnology 15H + ScanSpeak Beryllium = Sequence Two – Monitor BE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gornir
    • Oct 2011

AudioTechnology 15H + ScanSpeak Beryllium = Sequence Two – Monitor BE!

Hi everyone,

I’ve updated the Sequence Two – Monitor design with a ScanSpeak “Beryllium” tweeter version for those who wants a super expensive and exotic hard dome version! :W

Basically it’s the same design, but with minor tweaks made to the cross-over. The ScanSpeak “Beryllium” and the “Textile” AirCirc dome tweeter is essentially the same driver and can be regarded as drop-in replacements for each other in this design.

Sonically the “Beryllium” version has greater transparency, reveals additional micro-details and is a bit more analytic in its character compared to the “Textile” soft dome version.

For further details see:
    Sequence Two – Monitor BE
    ScanSpeak Textile Dome vs Beryllium Dome!

Regards

/Göran
    Attached Files

Author of the "AudioExcite Loudspeaker Design" website

http://www.audioexcite.com
  • Rick Craig
    • Jul 2006

Nice comparison test for the two tweeters. If you look at the off-axis you'll see some differences that might account for what you're hearing. I've used the both tweeters and I think the Be version is the finest dome I've ever listened to - but it should be for the $$$! Very close sound to the RAAL ribbon.

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

Thanks!

Too bad you didn't do an overlay of their distortion plots too.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• gornir
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Face
        Thanks!

Too bad you didn't do an overlay of their distortion plots too.
        Sorry, but I don't think it's possible to do in Arta (Steps).

Yes, I could export the data and do some post processing, but it would take some considerably energy to do and I could use that energy elsewhere, like a new design! :B

Comment

• gornir
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Rick Craig
          Nice comparison test for the two tweeters. If you look at the off-axis you'll see some differences that might account for what you're hearing. I've used the both tweeters and I think the Be version is the finest dome I've ever listened to - but it should be for the $$$! Very close sound to the RAAL ribbon.
          Thank you,

These two drivers are very interesting to compare, since the only thing that seems to differ between the two is the cone material. Yet, they do sound different from each other and the frequency response are very similar up to about 13kHz where they start do be different.

Despite that the Beryllium version has less energy above 13kHz it sounds a bit brighter and at the same time a bit more transparent than the textile dome version. I don’t think I’ve experienced a tweeter that changes character so much when testing different tweeter padding resistors as the Beryllium tweeter does. Here it’s really worthwhile to test different padding resistors to fine tune the loudspeaker to personal preferences.

When I first tested the Beryllium tweeters right out of the box I was a bit surprised that it didn’t sound better than it did. Then I quit listening to them and let them burn-in for about 24 hours playing music at a fairly high level with a cross-over attached to it. After that first 24 hours they started to sound a lot better.

Many people argue that tweeter burn-in isn’t required, but I do think the Beryllium needs some substantial burn-in time to really shine and perform at its best. What's your experience with the Beryllium tweeter?

Regards

/Göran
          Last edited by gornir; 19 May 2012, 16:55 Saturday.

Comment

• Rick Craig
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by gornir
            Thank you,

These two drivers are very interesting to compare, since the only thing that seems to differ between the two is the cone material. Yet, they do sound different from each other and the frequency response are very similar up to about 13kHz where they start do be different.

Despite that the Beryllium version has less energy above 13kHz it sounds a bit brighter and at the same time a bit more transparent than the textile dome version. I don’t think I’ve experienced a tweeter that changes character so much when testing different tweeter padding resistors as the Beryllium tweeter does. Here it’s really worthwhile to test different padding resistors to fine tune the loudspeaker to personal preferences.

When I first tested the Beryllium tweeters right out of the box I was a bit surprised that it didn’t sound better than it did. Then I quit listening to them and let them burn-in for about 24 hours playing music at a fairly high level with a cross-over attached to it. After that first 24 hours they started to sound a lot better.

Many people argue that tweeter burn-in isn’t required, but I do think the Beryllium needs some substantial burn-in time to really shine and perform at its best. What's your experience with the Beryllium tweeter?

Regards

/Göran
            I'm not really a follower of the whole burn-in thing. I think it's a matter of becoming more familiar with the sound. Great tweeter but for a dome way too expensive. The law of diminishing return!

Comment

• Carl V
              • Apr 2005

Rick,how much of an improvement is the 6620 (illuminator)
              over the 6600 revelator.?

Still enjoying your speakers...thanks.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Carl V

Nice to hear that. I didn't compare them side-by-side but don't think there's much difference between the two.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Carl V

I'm not Rick, but having used both drivers, I think the 6600 is a bit more neutral and flatter in FR- the Illuminator puts a bump into the top octave response which some like- with the mini-waveguide effect of it's design, but I'm not enamored of it. YMMV, of course.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dsrviola
                    • Oct 2007

Raal vs. Scanspeak Be

One person's thoughts on the two: Just to throw a wrench in things for you and because its around the same price as the 140-15d you might want to look at the Scanspeak D30 Beryllium. I agonised over this driver and the 140-15 for a long time and having compared the two in my own system I found it almost impossible to choose. The best way I can describe the differences is to play a very complex piece of music vs. a simple one. The D30 Be sounded cleaner on the complex and the 140-15 had more realism on the simple. The difference were small but and that was only thing I could definitively zero in on. Both are very good drivers. Eventually I stuck with the 140-15 in my system but the reason wasn't because it was superior but rather the two drivers were so alike that I decided it wasn't work the effort to rebuild the tweeter enclosure for the D30 Be.

My wife alway's complains about the speakers. Now with the big 50cm kugelwelle she somehow finds them not that ugly. :) Although she now complains other wifes find them ugly.:eek: Great job! However if I did the same and put them in our living room I would get a divorce. :p /Goran

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"