X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbreezy5
    • May 2009

Butler Audio TDB-2250 & Parasound A21

I'm looking into a 2-channel amp upgrade. Currently I have Dynaudio Audience 82 floorstanding speakers, Arcam Diva A75+ integrated (50w/channel), and Denon 2910 universal player.

I'm wanting an amp to tighten up the bass and add texture to instruments, but I also want non-fatiguing mids/highs; don't want a clinical sound.

Anyone have opinions about the above 2 amps?

Thanks,

Jbreezy
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I know nothing about the Butler Audio, but I use a Halo A21 and A51 in my 7.1 theater. Completely happy with the A21, I don't know anybody that would describe it as "bright" or clinical. Have you looked through our Club Parasound here for opinions on the A21?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• jbreezy5
      • May 2009

Thanks for the input; I'll make sure to look-up Club Parasound.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

It's one of our sub-forums here, if you go to the main HTGuide forum page!
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
          • May 2004

I have a modded Butler 2250. I went from a Krell Kav250a to the Butler. The Krell was clinical with extreme detail and subteranean bass. The Butler is a little lighter on the bass but more airy, less fatiguing. What I love about the Butler is that it barely gets warm even after a workout. The Krell could heat my house by itself and serve as a griddle.

I have heard the Parasound A21, but did not have the Butler at the time to compare.
          Steel

Comment

• jbreezy5
            • May 2009

LikeCoiledSteel:

Thanks for the reply; do you think the Butler's bass is satisfying, or does it seem rolled off/weak?

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
              • May 2004

The bass is ok. I just think the Krell slammed harder, not necessarily better. Krell is known for bass and clinical sound. The Butler will sond different than most SS amps because of it's tube stage. Check out the 6moons review of the Butler. They use it with Gallo Reference 3.1's. I use those speakers as well.
              Steel

Originally posted by jbreezy5
              LikeCoiledSteel:
              Thanks for the reply; do you think the Butler's bass is satisfying, or does it seem rolled off/weak?

Comment

• jbreezy5
                • May 2009

Went to a local dealer today and picked up a Parasound A21 to demo in home. Most dealers in my area either don't have Halo or don't allow in-home auditions.

So far can tell a big difference in the bass compared to my Arcam As expected, there is much more authority. The only caveat found so far is it seems I have to turn the volume up more than I am used to in order to enter the amps power band. Low volumes don't seem quite as loud or full as I'm used to.

Typically Dynaudios are thought of as current hungry speakers, but my Arcam never got more than slightly warm, even at pretty high volumes, so far the same is true for the Parasound. I might need to consider a more moderately powered amp (?). Surprising since my Dyne's have dual 8" woofers.

So far the A21 seems to be just slightly warm sounding (good IMO), and I think the mid/highs are smooth and non-fatiguing overall (also good). I really like the punch in the bass when I finally reach the right volume. Very nice amp so far.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

:t
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jbreezy5
                    • May 2009

Here is my review of the A21:

I demo'd the Parasound Halo A21 amp for one week. It has very nice build quality and appearance. Pictures of the amp do not do it justice. To anyone interested, seeing it in person is a must to appreciate how it looks. The connectivity options and additional features are many and should make the amp pretty accomodating to any system. The amp is quite heavy at 60 lbs (about 80 lbs in box).

This heft instantly raises the expectation of ballsy bass. In my system this was the most obvious improvement I experienced; there was plenty of bass control, definition, and slam. This amp can make your room shake. The bass also has a warmth to it which extends up through the rest of the frequency spectrum. In the midrange this warmth gives a sense of flesh on bones when you listen to vocals (not sterile or cold sounding). There is density to images as opposed to holography. The A21 somehow manages to still sound very detailed. There is no feeling like there is a loss of information. In my experience, detailed amps tend to be somewhat clinical/cold sounding, not this one. Finally, the high frequencies also have a kind of warmth to them with plenty of detail as well. I didn't note any kind of harshness from the amp; refreshing for solid-state electronics.

In my system (that includes my room, as well as, equipment), I felt there was some loss of transparency; this may be a perception resulting from the warm/dense images from the amp; note I didn't sense a loss of resolution of detail. When I speak of transparency I'm referring to the sense of see-through and invitation; the seeming ability to walk in and around images on the soundstage. This is one of the key traits that I desire from my system and one that I had been accustomed to prior to installing the amp. Because of this (and the additional warmth; my system already has some warmth), I ultimately decided not to purchase it.

Final Conclusion:

Personally if I were to add warmth to my system I would do it with tubes, for the texture they bring. But for the tube-a-phobe, this solid-state amp could be just the ticket, and with better bass than the majority of tubed gear to boot. The Halo A21 could easily satisfy when matched with the right speakers. It is very balanced and coherent sounding which encourages general enjoyment versus uptight critiquing (this arguably trumps any particular weaknesses). It brings most of the solid-state qualities without the chills.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Wow, thanks for the great review!
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"