X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Inside my new preamp

I had the opportunity to open up my Sony pre-amp the other day. A few may have seen I like to take things apart just to "see" whats going on. This usually results in pics. Something I have always done since I was a little kid. I did the same to my N802s, ASW-855.

Anyways, thought I would share. This is solid, machined aluminum/copper and weighs almost 50 pounds. 8O

No pics of the CD player yet. It looks like I am slowly moving back to seperates again (as nice as an "all in 1" option was, I think ADD is setting in)

Now I need to keep an eye out for amps.
    B&W
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Nice pics.
    They did some pretty good shielding, and the power supplies look like they have some descent reserves, so suspect its quiet and fairly dynamic.
    Interestingly enough I never thought of sony as a "fidelity" minded company, so much as gadget finese.

Comment

• r100gs
      • May 2005

Looks like quality stuff inside! What model is that?
      Jay

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well laid out and solid construction is what I see.

Nice!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by r100gs
          Looks like quality stuff inside! What model is that?
          TA-E1

Looks nice. I can't say I've ever heard a Sony hi-fi component since Tape Decks.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
            Nice pics.
            They did some pretty good shielding, and the power supplies look like they have some descent reserves, so suspect its quiet and fairly dynamic.
            Interestingly enough I never thought of sony as a "fidelity" minded company, so much as gadget finese.
            Im a big Sony fan. ops: I know I know, but I have been for a long time, they know what to do when they want to. Love their hi end home and car audio equipment. (which they dont realllly make anymore)

The pre sounds amazing, I have never had a dedicated preamp. I have wanted one of these for a long time and they are quite hard to come by so when the opportunity came about I decided to take it. I will get the matching CD player someday. Those are easier to come by.

Now I need to get some amps as right now all I have is a 140x7 Yamaha receiver. I think I will hold out for some amps that I want, as in the past the Brystons and Aragon were just "filler" amps.

I also aquired the old school Sony reference CD/DAC combo. Again it was something I have wanted for some time and the opportunity came about, even though timing wasnt the best. They weigh about 48 pounds each. Quality stuff from 1988. 8)

B&W

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Wow that preamp looks fantastic! It's to bad Sony doesn't make components of that quality anymore.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Yes, the high end ES series stuff is nice- had a few pieces in my time, still have my SCD777ES SACD player. Units like yours are mostly sold for JDM, where the build quality and Sony name are really appreciated. They definitely pass the "Stuff is Stuff" test. :W
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Tonight i got my extra rack assembled and everything in place. Sure feels good to have everything in place.

B&W

Comment

• gross30
                    • Jun 2005

Nice pics RCD, great looking gear, and you won't be disappointed with the Sony gear. My cousin had some 80's Sony gear and it was great stuff. It ended up being trashed at one of the several house parties held there....lolol

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Pretty sure even this stuff is a great step up from even the 80's gear that most are used to

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"