X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Advice needed , please

I'm thinking ahead to tax time , and can't decide where to go next.

I've looked at the Emotiva offerings (2 channel) and I'm tempted. I'm also considering a cartridge upgrade for the TT-which would necessitate a phono pre upgrade as well. I love my vinyl , but I have a few CDs that may benefit from the Emotiva line. Or do I get a Cambridge 840? Or a Decware ZCD?
    These are probably stupid questions , as nobody knows my priorities like I do , but I'd like to hear what you would do. I'm familiar with the tastes and preferences of many of HTG's members , and would find much value in your input. :T

Speakers , unfortunately , are out of the question for the foreseeable future.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

I am not into vinyl, but I used to work with phono pre-amps and such. I think that, player stability and mechanical design is more important then the cartridge. If the mechanics of your TT is good then the cartridge upgrade might improve the S/N of your system and you may get a somewhat discernibly better sound.

The phono pre-amp is a tricky thing, because the best ones use rather expensive transformers and clearly this is a way to go. Look for a totally balanced phono pre-amp with a transformer front end. Although most companies use electronics to mimic the transformer operation, still they do not use balanced circuits to do the job. Next best thing is a balanced transistor based phono-preamp. They get to be expensive.

As for the Emotiva products, the amps they import are fine. You will not go wrong here. Naturally your best upgrade to improve the sound is to get or build better speakers.

regards,
    Victor

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

Well, I can't say what would be the best upgrade for you. But, you say you like LP, and right now I'm lusting after a Zu DL103 cartridge (the stock Denon DL103 is very good too). I'd also have to upgrade my phono preamp to one that works with MC cartridges. And it would need to have various loading options (input capacitance, input resistance) that work well with the cartridge.

If your amp drives your speakers well and your happy with the sound, I would stick with it. Though, it's hard to say without knowing your current system.
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Marantz PM7200 integrated , SA8260 SACD player , mmf -5SE TT w/ Bellari VP129 phono-pre , Paradigm Studio 60 v.3 speakers. All tied together with some very nice Kingcat silver cables.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Hi Alaric,

You have a solid system, and I think your Bellari VP129 should be good enogh that a cart upgrade would make a noticeable difference. What cart are using now?

All in all, IMHO, I would suggest you start saving for a speaker upgrade, but if you need to feed the upgrade demon, maybe try some room treatments? :scratchhead:
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Alaric
            Marantz PM7200 integrated , SA8260 SACD player , mmf -5SE TT w/ Bellari VP129 phono-pre , Paradigm Studio 60 v.3 speakers. All tied together with some very nice Kingcat silver cables.
            I got to agree with Bill. That's a very nice system. Find a high quality MM phono cartridge. One that works well the VP129, of course.

And room acoustics have a huge affect on the sound quality. You probably know that though.
            John unk:

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Current cartridge is the original Goldring 1022GX. I was thinking about a MC cartridge , but there seem to be some nice high-output mCs available.

Room treatments are difficult at the moment. My stuff is in the finished basement , on a long wall , and the room is filled with crap. Room is about 18' X 10' , with wood paneling on the lower third of the walls (7 1/2' celing). If I put the speakers on a short wall , with them pulled in and out from the walls , they'll be about 7' apart and 12' from the couch. *sigh*
              All in all , I like my system. I like the way the slightly warm sound of the amp takes the edge off the Paradigms without killing the detail or the highs. The combo also makes a very nice , tight bass note. I have a few favorite albums that seem to work well , also , but I can't help but think my old setup was better with vinyl. (By "old" , I mean old! Yamaha PX-2 , ADS L1530 speaks , and a Tandberg amp and pre.) I may have to accept that I could probably hear more then because I could hear more. At 46 I may be looking for nuances my ears will never find. :cry: But , I can still hear the high-hat's shimmering echo at the beginning of BTO's 'Not Fragile" , I can hear the pickups on John Paul Jones' bass 'breathe' in 'Heartbreaker' , and I can hear the good bass notes in Tommy James' 'Draggin' The Line' with my current rig . I'm also a huge fan of the way female vocals work with my stuff. I've heard a few B & Ws , and they seemed a little laid back for me.

So , Bill , given my setup and stated preferences/goals , what direction would you go with speakers ?
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

I have heard a few of the B&W’s, and in general, agree they tend to be on the warmer, ‘laid back’ side, (although PewterTA’s fairly simple re-wiring mod does wonders for opening up the upper range without inducing sibilance or an edgy, fatiguing component) and they do seem to have a more forward presentation to my ear. These are not bad things, just the way the speakers are voiced, and as such, make them V good for HT while still being a capable performer for 2ch music.

Coincidently, there was a recent thread around here that brought up the Klipsch RF line. This may just be the thing to fit your preference and budget, as they can be found relatively cheap on the used market, considering their performance. Also, there are many tweaks and DIY upgrades that are V simple and easy which extend their performance. Tons of support on the forums for them, too.

AFA carts, a HOMC is V tempting. I was looking at the same option myself. But given your preference for classic rock, which typically contains lots of HF and both male and female vocal, your Goldring may be causing some of your perceived lack of definition in that region. The suggestion of a Denon 103 I feel is a good one, and possibly a Dynavector or AT MM. IIRC, these MM carts work well for rock. Maybe try a post over at Vinyl Asylum for some suggestions as to what carts work well with your MMF-5 and that style of music.

Just a few early morning thoughts to stir the pot and confuse the issue for you :W
                Last edited by wkhanna; 24 October 2008, 11:22 Friday.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I was looking at these http://www.sound-smith.com/denon/index.html when I began thinking of a cartridge upgrade! But we're back to a new pre-amp. Also looking at this http://www.needledoctor.com/Benz-Mic...2&category=364 and this http://www.needledoctor.com/Sumiko-C...2&category=382 although I'm not generally a big Sumiko fan. Can't say as I'm a huge fan of the ATs , either. The lack of precision on high-demand tracks is just frustrating.

Then again , I may be chasing stuff that just ain't there. Besides the hearing , the old Yammie TT and Klipsch cartridge are gone forever. :roll:

I've heard some of the Klipsch speakers , and , honestly , I feel I'm better off with my Paradigms. Unless we're taliking K-horns or LaScalas....but that's a little over budget! Know anybody with a couple triode monoblocks and a pair of K-horns for sale-cheap? The lack of equipment I can audition at home will drive me nuts.... 8O
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2007

Well, I do have some high frequency loss due to playing the stereo too loud in the past. I'm more careful with the sound level now days. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but I don't 'feel' like I really am though.

I've read very good reviews about on the Paradigms. I doubt you could do much better for the money.

What about this cart?
                    Ortofon 2M Black
                    Some are calling it the best moving magnet around. It's high output would be a good match for your VP129 preamp too.

I got my Audio Technica MLa cart back - they replaced the stylus. I think it needs hooked on phonics. It can't seem to get the Ss right. And I played Cat Power - "The Greatest." I can't understand a word she says. Has anyone listened to this? This was my first listen.

I thought I set it up good. It doesn't skip like the last stylus I had. I can align the azimuth good on this one. Maybe, it's just break-in?

Or maybe I don't have a clue about cart setup.
                    John unk:

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I've looked at the Ortofons , as well. Along with Koetsu , Nagaoka , Grado , ad nauseum. I would check tracking weight and cartridge alignment for your issues. http://www.vinylengine.com/ is a good source for easily downloaded protracters. I can scrounge up some others if you want. This might be worth a shot , as well- http://www.needledoctor.com/Michael-...c=2&category=2 My Music Hall uses a ProJect arm , so I know which setup to follow.

I thought I was happy with my stuff. "Every time I think I'm out-they pull me back in"-in best Pacino voice.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

IGD (inner groove distortion) is an issue with many carts, AT included.

But this fine line is an exception.

link
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Is that what your going to get Bill?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
                            IGD (inner groove distortion) is an issue with many carts, AT included.

But this fine line is an exception.

link
                            Hmm ... does this mean I need to replace my AT 440MLa? Or just need to set it up better? I admit, I didn't use a mirror or magnifying glass to but I have pretty sharp eyes. My tonearm is a linear tracker, so I don't think the tracking could be off too much. I have some info on setting up carts, so I'll take a closer look at it. I have Micheal Fremmer's DVD too.
                            John unk:

Comment

• twitch54
                              • Apr 2006

But we're back to a new pre-amp. Also looking at this http://www.needledoctor.com/Benz-Mic...2&category=364

Myself, a fan of Benz-Micro, I owned the Ace (HO) on a previous TT (Music Hall MMf-9), an excellent all-around cartridge for the $$, IMO.

Given it's various output variants why would you 'have to' upgrade your phono-pre ??
                              Dave

Comment

• Alaric
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Bellari VP129 is for MM and HO MC cartridges. I was also looking at low output MC cartridges.
                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                Schiit Modi 3
                                Marantz CD5005
                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

I'm also thinking about a nice pair of cans and a tube 'phone amp. Ok , I'll forget the pair o' cans (apologies to the wife) , and consider headphones.
                                  Seriously , Grado , AKG , and Sennheiser seem to have some highly regarded 'phones , and there are some nice valve 'phone amps out there.

*sigh* My problem is champagne taste on a beer budget. I can probably make ONE serious upgrade , and it won't be speakers-unless I get the fat refund and sell my current pair. That's why I was considering the big power upgrade from the Emotiva line. The Paradigms will handle big watts , and may still have things to show me with the proper juice.
                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                  Marantz CD5005
                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Grado or Alessandro's. You can get the Alessandro Music Series Ones for 99 bucks and I've heard many great things about them.

They actually teamed up to make these with grado so a lot of the same design elements.

Comment

• impala454
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2007

I'm also thinking about a nice pair of cans
                                      Sorry, totally off topic but I had to :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
                                      -Chuck

Comment

• Alaric
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

It's my day off , cans figure prominently in my contemplation!
                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                        Marantz CD5005
                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"