X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legion1capone
    • Oct 2008

what cd player are you running

what cd player are you running?
    Do any of you own the Jolida 100A, Rotel RCD-1072, Western Electric minimax, or the Shanling CDT100?
  • joetama
    • May 2006

When I was CD player shopping I demoed the Rotel RCD-1072, Cambridge Azur 7 or 6xx something IIRC, and the Arcam CD73. All 3 sounded very good, but I preferred the Arcam sound. The Cambridge was my second favorite and a very very solid contender. (The Cambridge was demoed later after I already purchased the Aracm, I demoed it mostly just for pure curiosity.)
    -Joe

Comment

• twitch54
      • Apr 2006

I have the 1072 in small system in our living room, a very good CDP, one of the best sub 1k units out there , IMO.

My main system is currently being fed by a Cary 303 / 300, couldn't be happier.

I know several folks who employ modded players (ModWright, AES for example) and this route , again IMO, provides great sound competing with players well beyond their respective price points.
      Dave

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

I used the JD100 with Rotel, and it helped get me going on tubes.
        I tried a high buck external dac with it and prefered the JD100 straight up.
        It was a well built, luscious sounding rig.
        I have since gone all tubes so need to feed it the pureist signal possible, and settled in on a Wadia.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Cambridge Audio 640c, 640cV2, and 840c, Rotel 1072. Heard the Jolida and a shanling (not sure the model) and all sounded good.

The tubes in the CDP definitely have a smooth sound to them. Definitely very musical and I did like them, but couldn't justify the cost. I ended up now with the 840c and I actually think I like it better than all the others. Now that I've had some time to really break it in, the detail it reveals I didn't find I was getting on any of the others I listened to. It might not be exactly as smooth and musical as the tube CDPs, but when played through a tube pre, it easily excels I feel. Plus you feel like you're getting every little detail off the disc (not sure if it's the 24/384 upsampling or not). It IS the only CDP that I noticed had bass like I've never heard before on a digital source. Not over powering or "added," but realistic and "live" feeling bass.

Any of those ones you mentioned though are a GREAT pick. Just have to see what you think sounds the best!
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• legion1capone
            • Oct 2008

I'm thinking I may have to go with the Shanling CDP. It just looks awesome for a cd player! Oh and it sounds good too. lol Are there any links on this site for modding any of these tube CDP's?

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I use a Parasound D3 universal disc player as my audio player, for CD, DVD-A, and SACD. Can be used via digital, analog, or balanced connections. Very nice.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

I use my Cambridge Audio 540D V1 DVD-A/DVD-V/CD player for CD playback (did a head to head comparison over the course of a couple of hours--most of it volume matched and single blind--against the 540C dedicated CD player and I (and the store owner--who is someone I can take at his word) preferred the 540D).

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Over the past 4 years I have gone from an old JVC DVD/CD/SACD unit to a Rotel RCD-855, then to an Oppo HD970. From there, I took a big step to a Cambridge Audio 640 v1, and finally made a huge step up in sound quality to the 640 v2, At this point I am getting enough performance from CA 640 v2 (which is used as a secondary source to my turn table) that I don’t see any upgrade coming in the near future. BTW, the JVC and Oppo I purchased new, the others were bought used.

If I were looking to upgrade at the < $1500 level, I would first consider a new CA 840 and, and in the used market I would start by auditioning Bryston, Shanling, Cary and possibly Rega
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Captain Reg
                    • Mar 2008

NAD M5. Before this Denon DVD1920, Before that the Denon DCM-380, DCM 370.....

Comment

• r100gs
                      • May 2005

I have a Bada HD-22 cd player in conjunction with a Xindak DAC-3. I have it connected to 3 different sources. First being tube buffered internal dac, second, internal dac and third being the external dac. It's fun switching between sources listening to the differences.
                      Last edited by r100gs; 26 October 2008, 21:59 Sunday.
                      Jay

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"