X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

An Open Letter To Bigburner

My friend,

Though I have not been purchasing new music either on CD or DVD since my own personal economic crisis, I have been listening. Rhapsody has been my method and below I post my new found treasures.

(if you would like I will allow you the use of my username and password so that you can sample these nuggets.)

Brightblack Morning Light: Everybody Daylight
    A simple track of mesmerizing rhythm. I played this at a family event, everyone liked it but one family member later told me it was a "sex track"

Particle: Triple Threat
    20 minutes of perfection. Yes, 20 minutes. Two great guitarists overshadowed by a terrific drummer and keyboardist. Off an album called Transformations Live For The People, with a DVD. Great stuff.

The New Up: Arkansas
    4 and a half minutes of clever song writing and thumping funk. Not for the light of heart. Reminds me of the old industrial music of my youth.

Ben Folds: There's Always Someone Out There Cooler Than You
    I love Ben Folds and everyone else should too. Give Ben a chance. Also he has a great DVD out there with the WASO.

Fight The Big Bull: November 25th
    Jazz. Modern in that it was made recently, but has a strong tie to Sketches of Spain. Wonderful song.

The Devil's Workshop: The New Guy
    If you have ever heard the Kenny Clarke Fancy Boland Big Band, this is like that but a little more... "funkish" and I like it a lot.

Return To Forever: On Green Dolphin Street
    An Oldie but goody. The band is back together for a US tour, so I went to the old stuff to make myself happy. You should too.

Umphrey's Mcgee: Electronic Improvisation
    Prog Rock, Jazz, Jam Rock... they do everything and they do it with a precision most bands can only dream about. This is a live recording but you never hear a even the slightest hiccup.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes: Rocket Man
    A cover of the first degree, being both true to the song and yet completely different. A punk rock all star band, (I know, save the jokes) Me First shows a love for the song while still making it ROCK.

Frank Black: Horrible Day
    A lovely song about giving up.

Les McCann: Colonel Ryken's Southern Fried Chicken
    Soul Jazz along the lines of Cannonball Adderley.

Fountains of Wayne: Hey Julie
    Want a song to sing along to as you drive down the highway? Pick almost any Fountains of Wayne song. This one sticks with me always.

The Wondermints: Ride
    So much like the Beach Boys that Brian Wilson asked them to be his backing band on a recent tour, this is a sonic wonderland. Best listened to on really good headphones at an alarming volume.

Nomo: Ghost Rock
    Feli Kuti meets Michigan. Afrobeats and Jazz and Funk and Rock and good times. Might need to smoke some banana peels.

Phoenix: Run Run Run
    No description really. It's a good song to drive to.

Rufus Wainwright: Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk
    These are just a couple of my cravings. I think this is my secret musical loving side coming out. Anyone want to go see Cabaret with me?

JD Crowe and the New South: Old Home Place
    Best bluegrass song I know. Not that there aren't tons I do not know.

That's it for now. I have to go take more photographs.
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Thank you Eric. I'm humbled.

There's so much music on your list that's new to me I don't know where to start. I can barely keep up with the heap that I have now.

A quick check confirms that half of those tracks are available for download from my favourite site. I'll PM you regarding the rest.

Best wishes,
    Nigel.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
      • Dec 2006

Welcome. And of course I would suggest everyone else give these bands/tracks a listen too.
      Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Fight The Big Bull: November 25th...
        That's my favorite one. Horns sounds so great when used in the right way. Awesome track!
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"