X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

What would I like for Xmas?

A brand new pair of 803D speakers would be nice. Very nice...

Meanwhile back in the real world (i.e. children at university / private school) I'll probably have to limit myself to some music.

Top of the list is a new DVD from Jeff Beck, which will be released some time in December. The actual release date may require me to hire an F14 from the US Navy to drop it off to me in time for Xmas Day. That shouldn't cost too much should it? Anyone got contacts?

For those of you vaguely interested in my Xmas present, read on (thanks to ultimate-guitar.com). For the rest, hit the Back button now.

Nigel.

Eagle Records will release on November 25 a sensational live album from Jeff Beck: "Performing This Week Live At Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club". A new Jeff Beck release is always an event and these concerts in particular are eagerly awaited by his fans.

Jeff Beck is a true rock legend. From his time with The Yardbirds in the ‘60s, through The Jeff Beck Group and his solo career, his unique guitar style and constant desire to explore new musical sounds have won him the admiration of peers, critics and fans alike.

This sterling ’07 live gig at the famed British jazz club Ronnie Scott’s in London features the legendary guitarist in a 16-song career-spanning set that incorporates Rock, Jazz, Ballads, Beatles, Blues, Boogie and Bolero. Beck raved it up so much with bassist Tal Wilkenfeld, drummer Vinnie Colaiuta and keyboardist Jason Rebello that the usually sedate London Times gushed, "…perhaps the greatest living guitar virtuoso…combining astonishing technique with a blissful nuance he exercised an almost supernatural control of his fretboard." Jazzwise called it "an absolutely jaw-dropping display of the most exciting, imaginative and inspirational jazz-rock guitar witnessed in years." And London Lite added, "…the kind of visceral, fluid music-making that other guitarists can only dream of."

Recorded over a series of gigs with standing-room-only crowds, the electricity was bouncing off the walls as Beck was clearly inspired himself and egged on by the perfect complement of band mates. A DVD of the event, the first such live concert DVD as authorized by Jeff Beck, will be available in 2009.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

What would I like for Xmas?
    A winning Powerball ticket.....Failing that , (likely) , I'd like to see my daughter graduate university and marry a conservative with a grand sense of humor. This would be several Christmas' hence , but I'm willing to live long enough to see it through.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Mike B
      • Aug 2008

We are having the usual caviar & vodka appetizers, along with some nice scottish smoked salmon with bagels and cream chese for breakfasts. I always get a little truffle butter to make my favorite tenderloin cube topped whole portabella caps too.

We don't buy each other stuff anymore like we used to, at our age we have aquired so much stuff that there is no room for any more, so instead we slurge on some really good food.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigburner
        The actual release date may require me to hire an F14 from the US Navy to drop it off to me in time for Xmas Day. That shouldn't cost too much should it? Anyone got contacts?
        Sorry to break the news Nigel, but I think the Tomcats have been retired. IIRC, they've been replaced by the Super Hornets which are single-seat so no rides unless you can find a trainer.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
          Sorry to break the news Nigel, but I think the Tomcats have been retired. IIRC, they've been replaced by the Super Hornets which are single-seat so no rides unless you can find a trainer.
          The F18, of course. Does the F18 have a small window that opens? I was thinking that the pilot could make a low pass over my house and toss the DVD out the window on a handkerchief-sized parachute.

Nigel.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Does the F18 have a small window that opens?
            Just the bomb bay doors. Just kidding - there isn't a bomb bay on the F18. Everything is carried externally.

Comment

• Russ L
              • Jul 2006

The F18, of course. Does the F18 have a small window that opens? I was thinking that the pilot could make a low pass over my house and toss the DVD out the window on a handkerchief-sized parachute.

Nigel.
              Maybe this guy could drop off the DVD in time...
              Who needs Rudolph when we have a Rocketbelt. The Rocketman brings Santa into this event with style.Save money on Reindeer food and schedule The Rocketman to...
              Russ

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Now that's the ticket! :T

Comment

• H.Donald
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mike B

We don't buy each other stuff anymore like we used to, at our age we have aquired so much stuff that there is no room for any more, so instead we slurge on some really good food.
                  Hmmmm....I like that!!!!!...20 something years...lemme see if I can get away with that.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"