X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toledoguy
    • Jul 2008

DAC on Cd Player or Pre-Amp

I've recently started rebuilding my system from scratch, it's been slow going as funds become available. Something has been bugging me for a while and I thought I'd ask my fellow knowledgeable forum members for help. How do you know whether the DAC on a given CD player or the Pre-amp should be used. As you all know virtually every modern CD player gives you the option of outputting a digital signal either by Optial of SPID, or analog. Every modern pre-amp has digital and analog inputs. How do you know which DAC is better? Is there some measurement to look for, a chip manufactuer that's better? Truthfully, I have no idea and was hoping for some insight.

Thanks
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Research pretty much.

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

You just have to listen, only then you will know which is better for you
      Greg

Comment

• toledoguy
        • Jul 2008

I appreciate the fact that as with any audio it is a matter of personal preference. I guess my question was is there any guidelines to follow. For example, when purchasing a speaker we have all sorts of paramaters to follow such as RMS, and peak, and frequency response, and other such things. Is there anything like that to pay attention to in the DAC such that I know what one is better in any given combination?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by toledoguy
          I appreciate the fact that as with any audio it is a matter of personal preference. I guess my question was is there any guidelines to follow. For example, when purchasing a speaker we have all sorts of paramaters to follow such as RMS, and peak, and frequency response, and other such things. Is there anything like that to pay attention to in the DAC such that I know what one is better in any given combination?
          There are specs but, just like the ones you quote for speakers, they will not tell you much about how the unit will sound.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"